Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I agree. My uni did vivas for people who didn't pass essays. They asked questions and people had to present etc and show they met the criteria, and if they did it they passed. Also I can't even comprehend the idea of a uni being so vague about what someone had done wrong... they should be making it very clear. If a student who has passed two other essays at masters level doesn't get how they 'haven't answered the question' the uni is doing something wrong.

Also I didn't have set questions! So the whole thing sounds very bizarre to me.
    If it looks like I won't get my pgce because of this essay I am going to make a formal complaint I think, because they haven't marked it according to the brief I've been looking at. It's like they've just made one up. I'm not missing out on my qualification for the sake of 10 credits and not even getting a level 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    If it looks like I won't get my pgce because of this essay I am going to make a formal complaint I think, because they haven't marked it according to the brief I've been looking at. It's like they've just made one up. I'm not missing out on my qualification for the sake of 10 credits and not even getting a level 6.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That strikes me as very unreasonable - I'm really sorry to hear this is happening. I agree you should raise a complaint, and probably also speak with your SU (they can submit a complaint too, which might carry a bit more weight). I guess the saving grace if the worst does happen is that most employers out of the profession probably won't know that QTS means anything other than passing the year... And besides, it's not the essays that demonstrate the resilience, ingenuity and determination needed to get through the year - those employers who know the difference between a PGCE and QTS should also recognise that.

But most importantly, focus on getting some feedback for the essay, submitting a complaint and speaking with your SU. Hopefully, this will all seem like a big fuss over nothing in a couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for a pastoral academic support role helping with progress in a sixth form college and we have an interview and also an 'unseen task'. Any ideas what this will be? I hate not knowing what I'm going to be given!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for a pastoral academic support role helping with progress in a sixth form college and we have an interview and also an 'unseen task'. Any ideas what this will be? I hate not knowing what I'm going to be given!
    Could be a data task or maybe a role play? Go in feeling positive and ready for anything and you'll be fine. They don't make unseen tasks difficult because they want to see your reaction rather than your preparations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Could be a data task or maybe a role play? Go in feeling positive and ready for anything and you'll be fine. They don't make unseen tasks difficult because they want to see your reaction rather than your preparations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I guess that is true. I have already had an interview at this college for a teaching role and it went so badly that I don't think it's possible for me to humiliate myself even more :awesome:

They are interviewing ten people though, which makes me pessimistic because I've never been interview with more than two people for teaching posts!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've been in to mark coursework today for my BTEC pupils but now I'm home I have no energy to do my own coursework due on Friday. The credits I'm chasing feel useless. I can't transfer them to another institution and they aren't compatible with the masters I would take if I stay to complete so it seems like unnecessary pain for nothing at all.

4 more weeks and all of this is over but right now I can barely stop to think. Writing 5k tomorrow I'd going to be like pulling teeth. Very tiring, boring teeth.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this writing thing isn't going very well at all It's very quiet in here. Is everyone having a nice half term?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this writing thing isn't going very well at all It's very quiet in here. Is everyone having a nice half term?
    It is quiet isn't it! I'm having a nice half term. It's busy...I'm trying to balance exam marking with PGCE work. On a side note, I highly recommend exam marking to anyone if they are after extra money and development. The training I went to was useful on it's own and I feel like I could teach GCSE more confidently now. Plus it's not taking as long as I thought and so the pay isn't as bad as I thought.

But yes, it's okay! How are you getting on? When is your essay due?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It is quiet isn't it! I'm having a nice half term. It's busy...I'm trying to balance exam marking with PGCE work. On a side note, I highly recommend exam marking to anyone if they are after extra money and development. The training I went to was useful on it's own and I feel like I could teach GCSE more confidently now. Plus it's not taking as long as I thought and so the pay isn't as bad as I thought.

But yes, it's okay! How are you getting on? When is your essay due?
    I was tempted by it by then opted for the rest instead. I'm not as hardcore as you Spent yesterday in school marking my BTEC work and that was enough.

It's due tomorrow at 4pm. I'm approximately 20% of the way through. Oops. I think I prioritised pupils over myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squoosh25)
    I've never heard anyone use it other than to allude to some vague notion of "fate".
    Nothing wrong with the notion of fate or destiny. You can't exactly prove that it is false.

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted by it by then opted for the rest instead. I'm not as hardcore as you Spent yesterday in school marking my BTEC work and that was enough.

It's due tomorrow at 4pm. I'm approximately 20% of the way through. Oops. I think I prioritised pupils over myself
    Did you submit it in time? I had a research essay due in at 4 today as well. Hope it went well
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Lightning)
    Did you submit it in time? I had a research essay due in at 4 today as well. Hope it went well
    Submitted it but it's not something I'll ever be proud of. How did yours go?

ReputationRep:
    Submitted it but it's not something I'll ever be proud of. How did yours go?
    I've submitted it too. I doubt I will get the M-Level credits. But at least its over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    4,000 word essay due at 23:59 on monday but I just have zero motivation...
    I've got the masters credits I need from the other 2 essays to get the PGCE but, I obviously need to pass this.

I really struggle with this discipline - I don't find the writing of it academic at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    4,000 word essay due at 23:59 on monday but I just have zero motivation...
    I've got the masters credits I need from the other 2 essays to get the PGCE but, I obviously need to pass this.

I really struggle with this discipline - I don't find the writing of it academic at all.
    I think its just a case of try your best but dont lose sleep over it. I had an essay result back the other day and scraped a pass, i knew it wasnt going to be great as i had to have a total rethink on what my research was on. Just do what you can and hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    Woops, been stopped from my GCSE marking because I have been marking too harshly. Feels nice to have some time today though to plan without thinking that I should be marking. I don't know if they will let me continue yet or not.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else in holiday mode already and struggling with motivation? I have had the whole of half term to prepare my QTS files as well as doing all my planning for after half term, and I have achieved about 25% of what I aimed to get done. I really can't focus and have run out of steam - I'm finding it impossible to discipline myself to make a decent job of the final (and most important) hurdle of preparing my QTS folder and preparing for my final observation etc. I've worked hard all year and I'm flagging majorly at the most important bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    Is anyone else in holiday mode already and struggling with motivation? I have had the whole of half term to prepare my QTS files as well as doing all my planning for after half term, and I have achieved about 25% of what I aimed to get done. I really can't focus and have run out of steam - I'm finding it impossible to discipline myself to make a decent job of the final (and most important) hurdle of preparing my QTS folder and preparing for my final observation etc. I've worked hard all year and I'm flagging majorly at the most important bit.
    Yes! I have gotten so little done. And I can't believe we are going back on Monday - totally not prepared. My sleeping pattern is a shambles and I have no motivation. I have four really important observations next week too. No pressure!

I'm sure we will get back into it soon.

Three weeks and counting!

ReputationRep:
    Nearly there...keep going...think of the summer ahead!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonniex123)
    Full of motivation just worried that it will all be for nothing!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.