Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    To those who are really worrying about your GCSE results, don't. They really aren't as life-changing as some people can make them out to be.

For a bit of perspective, the average Oxbridge applicant has 6 A*s. If you think about it, this includes the extremely academic students with 12-14 A*s, A-Level finished early with an A* etc., so there are clearly people who can get in with less than those to balance it out until we get that average. So long as your A-Levels are decent and if applying to Oxbridge, you give a good interview, your GCSEs won't matter too much when applying for a decent university. Just focus on giving your A-Levels your all and you'll soon realise there was no need to worry about getting 11 A*s after all.
    I don't know who you are, or where you came from, but I find the tone of your writing rather soothing. Please, have +1 rep from me, I insist sir.

ReputationRep:
    Can you get an E grade on a higher paper, do you get some UMS, I figured I only needed an E to get a C in this subject ?

ReputationRep:
    How the **** will I sleep tonight?! What time are you getting up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by things4life)
    Can you get an E grade on a higher paper, do you get some UMS, I figured I only needed an E to get a C in this subject ?
    I think (not 100% sure) that you get the UMS, but it says that it's a U.

Edit: After a quick Google search, I still believe that you do in fact get UMS for a U.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the A* guy)
    Sorry, I negged you by accident. I meant to +rep you.
    It's okay

ReputationRep:
    so, we are planning to stay up all night and panic, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zerock)
    so, we are planning to stay up all night and panic, right?
    Stay up all night for a super long Xbox/PS3 session?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all of you

I remember last summer being a complete wreck over my GCSEs. I had convinced myself I had failed.

Same happened this year when I was doing my AS levels but I did good enough in both of them.

Good luck - hope those of you who worked hard get what you deserve and those who didn't, well... you can see where I'm goin'

ReputationRep:
    A pet hate of mine is when A-level students comment on this and are really unsympathetic towards all you Year 11s who are nervous about tomorrow. I'm just going into my second year of college now, and yes, although A-levels are significantly more important, it doesn't mean we should bash those who are nervous about GCSEs.

I for one was terrified last year when I got my results, so to tell you all not to worry would be hypocritical of me. But one thing I will say is, your future most certainly will not be decided or held back by bad or average GCSEs. If you do badly, oh well- work your a$$ off at A-level and get what you want.

I wish all of you luck in getting your results, honestly. Whatever will be will be, but to all my fellow A-level students who are bashing the worrying people, just stop! You was in their position once, remember?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, we should all play some multiplayer online game like Quake L or iSketch to pass the night.

I don't think I'll be able to sleep one way or another. Everyone has way too high expectations for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jord1995)
    A pet hate of mine is when A-level students comment on this and are really unsympathetic towards all you Year 11s who are nervous about tomorrow. I'm just going into my second year of college now, and yes, although A-levels are significantly more important, it doesn't mean we should bash those who are nervous about GCSEs.

I for one was terrified last year when I got my results, so to tell you all not to worry would be hypocritical of me. But one thing I will say is, your future most certainly will not be decided or held back by bad or average GCSEs. If you do badly, oh well- work your a$$ off at A-level and get what you want.

I wish all of you luck in getting your results, honestly. Whatever will be will be, but to all my fellow A-level students who are bashing the worrying people, just stop! You was in their position once, remember?
    I completely agree with you and it annoys me too. Thank you for your kind words

ReputationRep:
    Going to sleep now, night everyone! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that if you don't get the grades you need to do a certain subject, say you needed an A but you got a B, would you be able to ask the people signing you up will be allowed to take you in? I'm not sure if that works anymore but haha worth an ask...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I think I might join you!:hubba:

As in, I'm getting tired and I'm off. G'night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Good luck man (changer my user from andersson, you may remember me). My science grades may be a little higher than they would have normally been thanks to your OCR Gateway threads, so thank you for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    I'm sick of attitudes like this- why can't people just be themselves?I'm going out in my normal clothes which consist of a t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms and I will not comb my hair.i haven't been out since the 3rd August so it will be a bit of fresh air.I don't go out now because I haven't got a bus pass and I have been stressing about results and I can't really be bothered.
    Dude I was (half) joking! I've actually been doing the opposite and trying to get out as much as possible - if I don't distract myself I can overthink and then I'm a nervous wreck too. Anyway, enjoy the fresh air then, and good luck with your results!
    PS. - I never comb my hair either.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Waaaah I only just realised the time... 12 hours until: A) WOOOOOOO! or B) Harakiri

ReputationRep:
    Check how your school has done:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...REGION=England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tingirl)
    Dude I was (half) joking! I've actually been doing the opposite and trying to get out as much as possible - if I don't distract myself I can overthink and then I'm a nervous wreck too. Anyway, enjoy the fresh air then, and good luck with your results!
    PS. - I never comb my hair either.
    Searching for "SenseOfHumour.txt"

No results were found.

Does not compute.
    Does not compute.
    Does not compute!

Lecture mode activated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.