Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashman117)
    Why aren't Arsenal signing anyone?? It really frustrates me to see Tottenham, a team who were like 12 point ahead of arsenal at some point last season, buying players like Chaldi, Paulinho and possibly Soldado. Then I see arsenal lose out on players like Higuain when they supposedly have 100m to spend in the transfer market. On top of that Liverpool look to be strengthening their team. If nothing changes and Bale stays Arsenals target next season will be the Europa League.
    Because Wenger is a stubborn prick.

If you say anything against him, you get treated as 'not a real supporter' or a 'Judas' but the fact is, he's nearing the point where he's had more years of no trophies than years ending with trophies at Arsenal.

We have this fantastic 60,000 seater which generates millions each fortnight plus excellent commercial deals thanks to the success he previously brought to the club. But somewhere in the pipeline, he's lost his way a little bit, placing too much faith in youngsters and not mixing them with experienced quality. All we need is a couple of quality signings (which could be bought for around £30m each or less) to really strengthen our team - a striker and a holding midfielder/CB (sort of a David Luiz but a bit more secure at the back).

I'm holding judgement until the season starts but I feel a supporter can criticise if they have to. I've supported Arsenal since I was 8 so I'm no glory hunter. I do feel we have strengths that people are missing though. Our back 4 was terrific the last third of the season and that really aided our wins. We had a lot of one nils and a few seasons ago, they would've been draws and defeats. But our lack of striking goals is a concern and Suarez would be a perfect fit. I'm a bit concerned that we didn't go back in for Higuain. Yes, it was £32m but we operate in a very inflated market and sometimes, you need to pay that bit more to achieve success. After all, what is £10m for a team who's competed in Europe's elite competition for the last 16 seasons. Higuain has an excellent scoring record over the last couple of years with a great shot and great movement.

It looks like we're going to be fed the same lies this summer and as the window nears the end, the chances of new faces will become less likely. Remember two seasons ago - only Arteta and Mertesacker have come good. Park and Santos were dreadful. Fees are only going to go up come August as clubs compensate for losing stars so close to the end of the window and compound this with Wenger's economic stubbornness means deals will hit a brick wall.

Time will tell.

I still feel we have the quality to be a 4th placed team even without a new signing but the club deserve so much more if anything else. I would love to be an auditor for Deloitte who gets to check Arsenal's books. Only they know how much is in the bank. Sad thing is, they can't say a thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukestar)
    I think it may help it we bought in some experienced plays like Suarez whose got good premier league experience with a good hunger for goals in a game as well... But I don't feel we are actually going to sign anyone again

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If we don't buy any significant players and struggle this season, I hope Wenger does the right thing and walks. Every man and his dog knows we had problems last year and it would be sick of Wenger to brush them under the carpet.

I may be speaking a month too early, but for the time ever since Arsene took over, I'm frustrated with him. It's sad to see him do this to the Club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    If we don't buy any significant players and struggle this season, I hope Wenger does the right thing and walks. Every man and his dog knows we had problems last year and it would be sick of Wenger to brush them under the carpet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can see where you come from, we do need some significant players soon I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    From Bleacher Report

Also, let's not forget, they've pretty much broken even with their transfer business so far during this window. One huge signing now would not be by any means the slightest bit unrealistic. In fact, it is very realistic.
    I never knew they made that much money from membership, I know they get like 50% of money from Ronaldos image rights though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukestar)
    I can see where you come from, we do need some significant players soon I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He should make some signings before the season starts but that looks unlikely. We can't have another fatal start like 2011.

I guess as long his pockets and those of others in the boardroom are getting deeper, everything's cushty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If we don't buy any players and draw or lose the first game to Villa, you can imagine the chorus of boos that will ring around the Emirates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    He should make some signings before the season starts but that looks unlikely. We can't have another fatal start like 2011.

I guess as long his pockets and those of others in the boardroom are getting fatter, everything's cushty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some new signings would help the fans and the squad and it would show he means business this season and for the boardroom I wouldn't know what goes on

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashman117)
    Why aren't Arsenal signing anyone?? It really frustrates me to see Tottenham, a team who were like 12 point ahead of arsenal at some point last season, buying players like Chaldi, Paulinho and possibly Soldado. Then I see arsenal lose out on players like Higuain when they supposedly have 100m to spend in the transfer market. On top of that Liverpool look to be strengthening their team. If nothing changes and Bale stays Arsenals target next season will be the Europa League.
    just because the loser journalists at the bbc aren't reporting it, doesn't mean that no talks are being held.

ReputationRep:
    Id wait another week and a half before you start fretting about signings if nothings happened by then, then I think you could be rather annoyed. I doubt Wenger is ignoring it like the other poster said hes probably keeping it on the down low.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who is screaming out for arsene wenger to bid 8.6mill to hijack the Etienne Capoue deal???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChildishHambino)
    just because the loser journalists at the bbc aren't reporting it, doesn't mean that no talks are being held.
    Why is it that people don't get this? It shouldn't need saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Am I the only one who is screaming out for arsene wenger to bid 8.6mill to hijack the Etienne Capoue deal???
    ya boy, you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    What is so good about him anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Still missing the point I was trying to make. Bale is not a £85m player, he has achieved nothing in his career to warrant such a big price tag. Ronaldo was a £80m player because he was unplayable for United for not one season but two or three, and that coincided with United winning the PL multiple times and the CL. Bale had two good seasons individually but did that even lead to Spurs finishing in the top four? No, and this is something RVP achieved with a similar team (quality wise) last season.
    So because Spurs didn't get CL, that limits Bales pricetag? Are you kidding?

Even if Spurs had Ronaldo, they wouldn't have won the league, they MIGHT have got top 4, even then maybe not.

I do agree Bale isn't worth 85M though but you can get a really good deal out of RMA as they have endless pockets and wouldn't be suprised if Spurs got 90 or even 100M for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamiesonn)
    What is so good about him anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    IMO, he's the best DM option for Arsenal. Prefect blend of technical ability and physical strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    IMO, he's the best DM option for Arsenal. Prefect blend of technical ability and physical strength.
    Gustavo would be a better option imo.

But either way, doesn't seem Wenger is in the market for anything defensive, just an attacker...and potentially a CB but he's pussy footing with the Ashley guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    Gustavo would be a better option imo.

But either way, doesn't seem Wenger is in the market for anything defensive, just an attacker...and potentially a CB but he's pussy footing with the Ashley guy.
    I never really seen Gustavo play so I can't compare.

We did official bid for Lars Bender so I think Wenger is looking for a proper DM plus Ashley Williams stuff was complete paper talk imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Still missing the point I was trying to make. Bale is not a £85m player, he has achieved nothing in his career to warrant such a big price tag. Ronaldo was a £80m player because he was unplayable for United for not one season but two or three, and that coincided with United winning the PL multiple times and the CL. Bale had two good seasons individually but did that even lead to Spurs finishing in the top four? No, and this is something RVP achieved with a similar team (quality wise) last season.
    I don't understand it either. Bale is obviously extremely good, but he's had one outstanding season and he's suddenly worth £85m? They're not exactly lacking in his position either, a seemingly popular opinion is that Ronaldo will play as a striker to accommodate him. Signing Suarez this season then if Bale proves himself with another season at this level consider spending all that money on him next summer is a much better option for Real IMO. But then again, what do I know

(Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Won't Mourinho favour Luiz + Ivanovic? And yeah but Suarez is surely the first name on the teamsheet.
    Ivanovic will play mostly at RB, rotating with Azpilicueta as our new RB signing Wallace is going on loan, and we have Terry, Luiz, Cahill and Kalas for CB. Will probably be Luiz and Cahill/Terry dependant on form starting at CB for most games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noone29)
    If you say anything against him, you get treated as 'not a real supporter' or a 'Judas' but the fact is, he's nearing the point where he's had more years of no trophies than years ending with trophies at Arsenal.
    Nearing the point? He's well past the point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Nearing the point? He's well past the point...
    Alright but I'm splitting his reign into two halves. 1996-2005 and 2005-2013.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.