Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    It wasn't just beating a top team though, it was the manner in which we have done so.

If it was a 0-0 draw and we went through on away goals, do you think we'd be hyping it up anywhere near as much?
    As a football fan I think you need to understand that we were dead and buried against a top team, yet somehow found the strength and desire to carry on and get the win.

You only see things like this once in a blue moon. That's why people are getting so carried away, and deservedly so.
    As I said, fantastic result, full credit to Liverpool and the fans; they were excellent tonight. I really don't want to take anything away from that.

You always have to put things in context though and realise you're only in the SF. You haven't won anything yet. I just think it's a bit embarrassing that 'European Royalty' like yourselves, with 5 CL's to their name, is so happy about a mickey-mouse cup. It really does show how low you've fallen.

ReputationRep:
    The strength it took me to hold my tears when Lovren scored. Holy sh*t, I found it hard to breath.. My mum was seriously worried I was having an asthma attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    It really does show how low you've fallen.
    That's rich coming from an united fan.

ReputationRep:
    You're talking ****. What does winning the Europa actually mean? You was the best club that failed in CL/failed to qualify for CL? It's like winning the Paralympics.

People place too much importance on getting into the CL. Don't get me wrong I want top 4 badly; the revenue, appeal in the transfer window and thrill of European nights is lovely, but it's clear we (and yourselves) don't stand a chance of winning it.

Look at Arsenal, they qualify every year but what do they ****ing achieve? Nothing. Is it really that good to just make up the numbers?

I'd much rather win an FA Cup that is included in the three major titles (CL, League Title and Domestic cup).

Edit: Sorry for missing some replies out, I got swamped, so I only responded to the least stupid one's.
    Winning the EL means you're good enough to try against the top European clubs. Getting into the CL and regularly staying in the competition is very important in order to attract the top players across the world. Why would any of the world's best or upcoming wonder kids want to come to a club where they don't play in the CL? Fair enough we may not win it in the short term-say 2/3 years, but the point is to try to go toe to toe against Europe's best and grow every season. Like you said the TV deals/match day revenue etc is major for every club so it makes no sense to opt for the FA Cup. Arsenal are something else though, they just don't have the mentality (right now at least) to get over the line. Maybe if they get a new manager it'll be different but they certainly have the players to to take them far into the competition. To me it seems like a loser mentality to not want to play in the CL just because right now it doesn't seem realistic or feasible to win it.

ReputationRep:
    Think Liverpool will win the EL tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirtybit)
    Good win for you lot, makes me hate LVG even more. Dreadful if we miss out on CL and you lot are the 5th BPL team to get CL.
    Naa, maybe a bridge too far for us to get CL, Sevilla are just too dominant in the EL. But a lot of us would have been happy with what we have seen so far and look forward to the summer window, Klopp has done wonders to get us this far in the EL especially after facing United and Dortmund along the way.

ReputationRep:
    As I said, fantastic result, full credit to Liverpool and the fans; they were excellent tonight. I really don't want to take anything away from that.

You always have to put things in context though and realise you're only in the SF. You haven't won anything yet. I just think it's a bit embarrassing that 'European Royalty' like yourselves, with 5 CL's to their name, is so happy about a mickey-mouse cup. It really does show how low you've fallen.
    Oh yes exactly, I completely agree. Nothing is won yet and if any of the players get in to that mentality, we'll be taken apart in the next round.

I think it's important that fans understand the realistic aims of their club at the present time. We used to be a great, regularly competing in the CL, but right now we just aren't at that level. So yes, we're very happy with a "mickey-mouse cup", whether that's the EL or League Cup.

The way you get to becoming a great again is by signing a great manager and winning trophies like these.

ReputationRep:
    You're talking ****. What does winning the Europa actually mean? You was the best club that failed in CL/failed to qualify for CL? It's like winning the Paralympics.

People place too much importance on getting into the CL. Don't get me wrong I want top 4 badly; the revenue, appeal in the transfer window and thrill of European nights is lovely, but it's clear we (and yourselves) don't stand a chance of winning it.

Look at Arsenal, they qualify every year but what do they ****ing achieve? Nothing. Is it really that good to just make up the numbers?

I'd much rather win an FA Cup that is included in the three major titles (CL, League Title and Domestic cup).

Edit: Sorry for missing some replies out, I got swamped, so I only responded to the least stupid one's.
    EL is a better trophy than FA Cup and using that treble argument is frankly ridiculous end of story.

Anyway it's clear you're trolling anyway but just in case what you say here you actually believe I just have to say it bluntly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Naa, maybe a bridge too far for us to get CL, Sevilla are just too dominant in the EL. But a lot of us would have been happy with what we have seen so far and look forward to the summer window, Klopp has done wonders to get us this far in the EL especially after facing United and Dortmund along the way.
    Regardless of what happens from here on out, getting to a EL semi-final and League Cup final in his first season is absolutely outstanding.

No new players, no pre-season and he takes us this far. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    Regardless of what happens from here on out, getting to a EL semi-final and League Cup final in his first season is absolutely outstanding.

Yh, a top 6 PL finish isn't out of the question either, just need to win our game in hands.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)

Goes to show how instrumental Klopp has been in changing the atmosphere in and around the club. Truly a hallmark of a top manager.

Great work getting into the semi's, winning the EL is still a pipe dream at this stage. I'd love it to happen but there's still a ton of work to be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The.Joker)
    Tbf the whole team really worked their socks off after the Reus goal. We were absolutely relentless in the last 30 mins. The fluidity of our attacks towards the end was great to watch, so fast paced and accurate. I'll be honest with you I was pissed at Milner for not getting a few of his corners past the first man but he did well when it mattered. Also, that cross Lovren did for Origi in the first half was an absolute peach!
    Willpower got us over the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parties in LA)
    Willpower got us over the line.
    Yeah the determination and grit the players showed was exactly what I want from them. I love that 'never say never attitude'. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the HT team talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    Nah relax lol, Dortmund are a level above Sevilla. Dortmund are the 5th best team on the planet. The Spanish 3 and Bayern, and then Dortmund. They were head and shoulders the best team in the competition and we've beaten them fair and square. We're the favourites.

ReputationRep:
    Really nice to see so much activity tonight - proud of the team for producing something so special, but I'm also very happy to see opposing fans congratulating us and being thoroughly entertained by the football.

Obviously you'll still get a few idiots who can't bear to say anything positive though.
    A long way to go but bloody hell, that was a match to remember.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the determination and grit the players showed was exactly what I want from them. I love that 'never say never attitude'. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the HT team talk.
    Milner and Can really stepped up.

We cannot afford to keep Sturridge and Allen off the pitch any longer, even if it means benching Firmino.

ReputationRep:
    Winning the EL means you're good enough to try against the top European clubs. Getting into the CL and regularly staying in the competition is very important in order to attract the top players across the world. Why would any of the world's best or upcoming wonder kids want to come to a club where they don't play in the CL? Fair enough we may not win it in the short term-say 2/3 years, but the point is to try to go toe to toe against Europe's best and grow every season. Like you said the TV deals/match day revenue etc is major for every club so it makes no sense to opt for the FA Cup. Arsenal are something else though, they just don't have the mentality (right now at least) to get over the line. Maybe if they get a new manager it'll be different but they certainly have the players to to take them far into the competition. To me it seems like a loser mentality to not want to play in the CL just because right now it doesn't seem realistic or feasible to win it.
    To be fair, we are in a very different situation to yourselves, so perhaps my opinion is very bias to the point of view of Manchester United. I guess you guys need the CL to draw players and produce revenue; essentially you need to ignite the waking of the sleeping giant.

Whereas we will attract top players for the next 5 years and still produce ridiculous revenue figures regardless of whether we qualify for CL. Therefore for Manchester United, if we have no chance of winning the CL, I would just rather focus on winning the Premiership which is a very realistic aim. It's clear how Leicester are benefiting from no European fixtures. Our squad isn't big enough to deal with the demands of Europe too.

Is that loser mentality? Or is it considering realistic targets and altering priorities accordingly to achieve the best outcome, potentially a league title because we can put all our eggs in that basket rather than spreading our squad too thin on competitions we have no chance of winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parties in LA)
    Milner and Can really stepped up.

We cannot afford to keep Sturridge and Allen off the pitch any longer, even if it means benching Firmino.
    I agree - it's a shame because Firmino has real quality but we have too many other players playing better at the moment. Allen is so tidy and Sturridge is really showing his creativity more than anything right now.

It's a good problem to have, and having Firmino and Lallana available to come off the bench is great anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lúcio)
    I agree - it's a shame because Firmino has real quality but we have too many other players playing better at the moment. Allen is so tidy and Sturridge is really showing his creativity more than anything right now.

It's a good problem to have, and having Firmino and Lallana available to come off the bench is great anyway.
    Firmino's rarely done well for us when he's not been the main striker. He's going to have to up his game as 10. I do think that he's really, really useful against teams that park the bus, his movement, touch and interplay in tight areas is second only to Sturridge.

Allen really drove us forward, his runs were excellent.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.