Depression Society MkII Watch

This discussion is closed.
anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bansheeee*)
i dont want to sound stupid (well everyone accuses me of that anyway..) but are there two types of depression,like one thats medical and for no reason like nothing to do with whats going on in your life ,and one thats just because of whats going on in your life ,like if this was changed you'd no longer be depressed?:/

it's a combination of both. I find my depression is triggered by life events, and inhibits my ability to cope and how i deal with it. However I also have times when i have no reason to feel so low. Medically there is only one type of uni-polar depression
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I hate these people. I wish I could do something to hurt them. :cry:
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hurt who? what are they doing?
*pink_sapphires*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonathan122)
I hate these people. I wish I could do something to hurt them. :cry:
:hugs: what's happened today poppet?
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know. I know it's not right, but I just want them to feel as bad I do - as bad as they made me feel. I want to punish them and ruin their lives.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know. I know it's not right, but I just want them to feel as bad I do - as bad as they made me feel. I want to punish them and ruin their lives.
I don't think I'm familiar with this story- what's the problem (briefly)
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vapid slut magician)
I don't think I'm familiar with this story- what's the problem (briefly)
Not a particularly original story - friends decide they don't want anything to do with someone anymore because they're mentally ill, ignore them in the street, and threaten to report them to the police and get them chucked out of uni if they ever try and get in contact again.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not a particularly original story - friends decide they don't want anything to do with someone anymore because they're mentally ill, ignore them in the street, and threaten to report them to the police and get them chucked out of uni if they ever try and get in contact again.
can't you just make new friends? These people are obviously idiots. what would they report you to the police and get you thrown out of uni for? Just report them for bullying, that'd shut them up.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bansheeee*)
i dont want to sound stupid (well everyone accuses me of that anyway..) but are there two types of depression,like one thats medical and for no reason like nothing to do with whats going on in your life ,and one thats just because of whats going on in your life ,like if this was changed you'd no longer be depressed?:/
I can't speak officially, but personally I feel there's two types of depression. feeling depressed because of something that's happened - a normal reaction, and then medical depression where you're just low, with no real reason, triggered by hormones and neurochemicals.
I mean, if someone's mum dies then they'll get depressed because it's upsetting which is totally different to someone getting depressed when there's nothing 'wrong'. One is a natural human reaction which gets better with time, the other is something mentally wrong which might not go away on it's own. not to say that the first won't lead to the other.

were you thinking about yourself or someone else?
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm trying. I don't think people look at me as friendship material at the moment.

College is supporting them.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ditto vsm, they sound like total pricks and the best thing would be if they were reported.
edit: what you mean, college is supporting them?
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm trying. I don't think people look at me as friendship material at the moment.

are you at Oxford uni? You should come to the meet on Saturday and make friends with us!
minimo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
so much work, im so ******
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ~conventgirl~)
anyone here for a chat? im new here thought it might help to chat. had severe depression for about 7 months this time round and have problems with SI dont know whether to go down the medication or talking therap route, anyone got any advice?XXX
for the best efficacy of both they ought to be used together, you should never feel you're being made to choose between them.
jonathan122
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vapid slut magician)
are you at Oxford uni? You should come to the meet on Saturday and make friends with us!

To be honest I'm trying to spend as little time in Oxford as possible at the moment, so I go home for the weekends. I'm also wary of inflicting my company on other people when I feel like this.
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi everyone, especially conventgirl :hugs: sorry to hear you're feeling down. Want to chat?

Jonathan, why not stay this weekend and meet up with VSM? I think that's a really good idea. VSM knows you and what you're going through so you wouldn't have to worry about meeting people you didn't already know. If I were you I'd stay and meet her
blackfish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
God I am feeling so ****.

Where I work there is a computer network that I run and maintain. Well the IT Department for the building decided they would go around and change the router, when they aren't contracted to manage the network. Well, they've disconnected the server, thus killing all the e-mail and user logons. Installed a router where the existing one was working perfectly well. Changed all the IP Address settings and made a right royal **** up of all my hard work. Well I went to my manager to resolve the situation, which ment they had to go to their manager who had to speak to the IT department (who shouldn't have even been touching my network in the first place). All because the IT Department wouldn't give me the ******* password so I could put everything right. POLITICS!!! ARGH!!! :mad:

All my hard work, gone, now even more work of putting it all right again

I just want to disappear right now...
*pink_sapphires*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hey just feeling low and lonely, much of the usual i guess but i wont bore you tonight wih all that, hope you're well though. Also (sorry to butt my nose in) you're right about Jonathan sticking with VSM she will understand and be with you raher than you being on your own and it might just lift your spirits a bit
Sorry for the late reply. I feel lonely too. Looking forward to tomorrow when I see Gavin though Never say you won't bore us. We want you to share with us if it helps you. My PM box is always open so feel free to send me a message whenever. Lots of love :hugs: x
Mathy, Ace from Space
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

To be honest I'm trying to spend as little time in Oxford as possible at the moment, so I go home for the weekends. I'm also wary of inflicting my company on other people when I feel like this.
:jumphug:
I know the feeling, I'm trying to make/keep as many friends outside of uni as possible and keep the ones at uni down, so that I always have someone somewhere else to escape to if uni's making me feel crap, and the ones at uni don't do that horrible probing thing that always makes me feel 10 times worse. :hugs:
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thanks, are there any major or harmful side effects with the medication? my dr recommended seroxat or citaloram if you know about either of those.
I wouldn't recommend seroxat. I take it. It's got an awful reputation as being very very difficult to come off. I've had pretty awful side effects from it. If you google this stuff you can find plenty of anecdotal evidence (seroxat's american name is Paxil- probably more comes up if you search on that). It's been linked to quite a few murder-suicides in the States. I know that sounds like im scaremongering, but I really wouldn't recommend anyone take it.

Citalopram tends to be better tolerated by most people, although it's a very personal thing so you can never predict how any one person will react. If you're worried about side effects then you should raise it with your doctor.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (314)
37.83%
No - but I will (64)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.47%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
46.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed