Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the A* guy)
    Is anyone staying up?
    I have no choice - I don't sleep well any nights so might as well spend this one waiting for the boundaries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant.

But you get what I mean.

Please, when was the last time you've heard of a Met graduate revolutionising anything besides how to stack cornflake boxes?
    If those boxes were spherical, then you could pack them more efficiently in 24 dimensions :yes:.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant.

But you get what I mean.

Please, when was the last time you've heard of a Met graduate revolutionising anything besides how to stack cornflake boxes?
    Harry Henry.

Edward Robert Harrison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billyfisher100)
    I agree - How about a late night movie marathon to pass the time. Any suggestions??
    I'm considering watching like a series of films tomorrow/tomorrow night, maybe Harry Potter or LOTR. I also want to catch up to the current season of The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad so I might do that. Right now I'm just passing time on Youtube haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    1. Tutorial/supervision system.
    2. Expectation of having to work hard.
    3. You can't go onto second year of a Cambridge Engineering degree without doing a summer internship/work experience or whatever.
    4. You meet intellectually stimulating people there - improving your intelligence.
    5. A large amount of academic resources.
    6. Personal attention.

Need I go on?

Please, from the threads on TSR, it seems that people don't work hard enough in their first year at other universities.
    1. Not an exclusive of Oxbridge. Plenty of unis offer small discussion groups. Here in Southampton, I believe the uni runs such a thing in groups of 10 for certain courses.

2. This mentality is again not exclusive to Oxbridge. In fact, with you now having to shell out 9k a year (even if it isn't up front), the pressure is on for every student to work hard.

3. The opportunity to do internships exists for all students during their holidays. The difference is its up to their own accord. A company will not treat a Warwick intern applicant differently from say a Cambridge applicant because the latter has Cambridge on the education section of their CV.

4. See point 2.

5. See point 2.

6. Not something which will necessarily boost a Cambridge engineer over another uni. People have different learning styles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElChapo)
    This guy is making it seem like any Engineering degree not from oxbridge is pants but you're just wrong too -__- Engineering firms would be happy to take on oxbridge graduates I'm sure and certainly wouldn't discriminate against them
    I went to a firm and they staid that most firms at the top only take about one Oxbridge applicant each year bc of the reason I posted above. She said that usually they have to pay for an extra course for outstanding Oxbridge applicants. I'm not saying the course is crap. it's just not the best choice if you really want to go into a really particular field of engineering at the top. I'm working with engineering PhD students and lecturers and firm officials at the moment actually, it's the same thing I got from them too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ElChapo)
    Really? I come across a lot of oxbridge grad teachers in my schools
    They don't have to be over 30 you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the A* guy)
    Is anyone staying up?
    My sleeping pattern's ****ed up anyway. I'm practically nocturnal

ReputationRep:
    What I've Learnt today on the TSR,

If one does not go to Cambridge or Oxford , They are not classed as 'Intelligent' :emo:

(Original post by YThursday)
    To add to the Oxbridge thing: My sister is at Cambridge, she is still mortal, clever, but nothing too special.

Also, you shouldn't worry too much about not getting in. If you get in life is not any easier. The first thing my sister was told by her tutor was that she hadn't ever worked hard in her life and that there will be points in her degree where she will cry. She was told that her tutor didn't care about anything other than results and she couldn't care less about home/emotional life.
    That's what revolutionises this world. Being pushed to your limits. That's success.

You wouldn't get that at Newcastle, would you now?

ReputationRep:
    Is it a coincidence that virtually every Oxbridge person was extremely intelligent and heavenly and just ever so amazing?

That's not distortion, that's my experience. I've spoken with real Oxbridge people.
    bleh. everytime I post, I see another post from you from a few minutes ago. I'm a slow typer. Anyway this will probably be my last post because I need to sleep.
    in one of your earlier posts you drew a distinction between people who value education and people who don't, and you expressed that valuing education is separate from being intelligent.
    You said that you are not intelligent but you do value education
    You said that at oxford, everyone is intelligent and most value education.
    I've hung out with plenty of oxford people and I can confirm the above statement.
    I can also tell you that in other universities, you'll find people who may not be quite as intelligent, but still value education.
    Wouldn't you want to hang around with them? they sound a lot like you..

as for the distortion thing, oxford is above the rest, but not miles above the rest. and they probably seemed much more heavenly because you expected them to be heavenly.

I do home you end up happy wherever you are, but please understand that in some of your posts you have been quite rude. remember that some people (like me) value education and aren't even in that LEAGUE. you say "anyone can get into imperial" but I know I can't! does that mean I should be really depressed and my existence is pointless? not in my view. I'll just be hanging out with people who have similar levels of intelligence to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    Ah, that's cool. Will you delay checking your STEP results?
    No, I don't have the self-discipline. Besides, if they're bad they're bad, I'll have to collect them and get over them at some point.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like it's going to be the early hours of the morning or so... Get some rest guys if you can, save you energy for the even worse wait of Thursday x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    To add to the Oxbridge thing: My sister is at Cambridge, she is still mortal, clever, but nothing too special.

Also, you shouldn't worry too much about not getting in. If you get in life is not any easier. The first thing my sister was told by her tutor was that she hadn't ever worked hard in her life and that there will be points in her degree where she will cry. She was told that her tutor didn't care about anything other than results and she couldn't care less about home/emotional life.

Thats harsh. Did she have any breakdowns since she started?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you mean by the word "genius". Holy ****, some of them can be out of this world.

They are magical institutions. Their alma mater have revolutionised this world.
    I can't disagree with the first part- some of the maths studentsI've met for example are out of this world, but this isn't unlike other universities.

They're not magical institutions, sure it looks like Hogwarts but there's no potions or witchcraft or magic spells. There' no denying some of their alumni have revolutionised the world but remember they're 800/900 years old and existed longer than most institutions. It's not like everyone who ever contributed anything to humanity went to oxbridge- Mahatma Ghandi for example went to UCL. Look at harvard with the largest endowment of any university in the world with tens of billions being spent on research and world leading facilities, professors etc. I'm not saying Oxbridge won't continue to produce world leaders in their respective fields but we have reached the stage where many universities are doing just that and they include universities in the UK that aren't oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't OCR ones in January come up at around 11am :confused:

I feel like writing an extremely angry and insulting email to OCR right now....

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is, especially if you have top degrees from Oxbridge.

Oh please, not the wishy-washy seven intelligences theory. *******s.

Over a range of subjects? I disagree. That discounts quite a few Oxbridgers.

That's perfection, not intelligence.

OK.
    No it isn't. I can use long words and make you think I'm intelligent but that would be deceptive.

Well yes there are. Intelligence in linguistics. Intelligence in electronics. Two entirely different things...

Oh sorry. Did I attack the great Oxbridge ones? A range can be different areas of mathematics, or different subjects entirely. If you're only good at one tiny tiny tiny thing, it's not intelligence.

Perfection? Not really. No one is perfect, yet there are many who fit that description.

ReputationRep:
    An hour has passed since 12:00 ... Any day Edexcel
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    He must be clever enough to get in, in the first place. Also clever enough to convince people to support his bull**** policies (well some of them).

EDIT: Never met an Oxbridger over 30, I'm talking about Oxbridgers between 19 and maybe 25/26 max?
    You were talking about how virtually all Oxbridge students were heavenly and amazing...why suddenly exclude those factors for Nick Griffin? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkAndTwisty)
    I'm considering watching like a series of films tomorrow/tomorrow night, maybe Harry Potter or LOTR. I also want to catch up to the current season of The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad so I might do that. Right now I'm just passing time on Youtube haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think I might watch American Pie... I could do with a laugh to pass the time!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.