• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Gone but not forgotten, JFT96.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Right, I'm up for work. I barely slept.

First thing's first: this Dortmund side would walk the PL. I wrote similar in the German Football Thread. They would absolutely walk the PL, they'd be the best side in Britain by some distance if they played over here for 38 games, and they were probably the best visiting side I've ever seen in the flesh. Reus, too, was probably the best opposition player I've seen in the flesh.

The way they started was exceptional. They completely bought into Tuchel's gameplan, and it was exhilarating to watch. They were queuing up in the middle for the first goal, and they committed so many men forward. In truth, I probably thought we started a bit gung-ho. We should have known their propensity to deal blows on the counter-attack, so I'd have started Joe Allen if I was Klopp.

It seems churlish to say Klopp's team selection was wrong when we ended up winning the game, though. It's a similar situation to Istanbul, when Rafa dropped Hamann. Introducing both men - Allen and Hamann back in 2005 - changed the game imho.

I thought Allen was exceptional. He seemed to know where every man in a red shirt would be. He connected phases of play well, won possession and retained the ball. He also dictated the tempo - alongside Milner, who was my MOTM - incredibly well. Both in the middle together was just what we needed, and showed how Klopp's in-game management was spot on after those early setbacks.

People around me wanted Milner to depart, but his presence was critical towards the end. A few were lamenting his poor set pieces early on in the game, and rightly so. I commented that there was probably no PL side less effective at attacking set-pieces, but how I was proven wrong. I couldn't believe the Dortmund marking for Lovren and Sakho's goals. Their heads seemed to be burned out by the pace and frenetic nature of the match.

I think Dortmund were guilty of starting too well and becoming over-awed by the occasion as we approached the end. I'm usually quite a pessimistic character, but after Sakho's goal, I knew we were going to get another. The players seemed to know, too.

Sakho/Lovren are a really refreshing partnership now, able to tap into the positivity surrounding the club. They were taking selfies at full-time, and seem to be real friends and a real unit both on and off the pitch. That said, there are negatives - the former's propensity to play players on-side cost us all three goals - so we need to take the rough with the smooth and realise they won't be match-winners every single game for us. They could just as easily cost us a goal against Bournemouth this weekend, and we need to keep calm heads. They are improving all the time, but given their place on the pitch, they will always be vulnerable to costing us points.

There's not much else to say except the atmosphere was incredible. A real European night, another instalment in our history. It was great to witness it and be a part of it. The Dortmund fans more than played their part. It was great to see their end bouncing pre-match, and the rendition of YNWA was one of the best I've heard.

Oh, and Origi. What a performance. He won't get the plaudits, but he took his goal exceptionally in the second-half and played with good control, good vision and bravery in the first-half. I felt the players surrounding him let him down, if I'm honest. Lallana and Firmino were both disappointing, and despite Coutinho's curling goal, I felt he could have offered more.

On to the semi-finals! Who does everybody want? Sevilla have the EL experience, Shakhtar is probably the toughest away trip, but Villarreal have impressed me every time I've seen them this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    You're talking ****. What does winning the Europa actually mean? You was the best club that failed in CL/failed to qualify for CL? It's like winning the Paralympics.

People place too much importance on getting into the CL. Don't get me wrong I want top 4 badly; the revenue, appeal in the transfer window and thrill of European nights is lovely, but it's clear we (and yourselves) don't stand a chance of winning it.

Look at Arsenal, they qualify every year but what do they ****ing achieve? Nothing. Is it really that good to just make up the numbers?

I'd much rather win an FA Cup that is included in the three major titles (CL, League Title and Domestic cup).

Edit: Sorry for missing some replies out, I got swamped, so I only responded to the least stupid one's.
    It means you've won a European competition? Hmm I'd be careful about ****ging off the Paralympics and disabled people tbh. Anyway you can't fail to qualify for the Olympics and then just opt into the Paralympics.

SUG made a post on the Man Utd soc thread recently about how Man Utd fans feel entitled to win and can't comprehend being crap. Well you are crap now so join the rest of us in reality.

We didn't have any hope of winning last night after being 2-0 down in 10 minutes
    We didn't have any hope of winning the CL in 2005
    Leicester didn't have any hope of winning the PL this time last year

The whole thing about sports is that the unexpected can and does happen. Stop being such a glory hunting **** and just enjoy the game and supporting your team?

Also that's like saying 16 teams in the premier league just shouldn't bother to play since it is usually up to 4 teams who regularly compete for the title. Oh and we should get rid of the other 7 tiers(?) of English football since they can't win the top prize of the PL.

Players want to play and fans want to watch their team in the CL because you get to face the best in Europe. Dortmund obviously had one poor season last year so didn't qualify this year but their squad is a CL quality team and we beat them.

Yea the FA Cup is so fantastic that you've got Man Utd, Everton, Crystal Palace and Watford - what a premier and elite competition :rolleyes: It's a domestic cup where 6 fixtures means you can win it with the luck of the draw/luck in games. It's so highly rated that loads of PL teams fielded their second string side in this year's competition.

But I'm sure you've be raving about the EL if the situation was reversed and Man Utd hadn't been knocked out in the R16.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine getting this excited about reaching the SF of the Europa league.

Anyone would've thought you just dicked Barca in the final of CL.
    The competition is irrelevant, that could have been a pre-season friendly and I still would, because it was a good match.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You're talking ****. What does winning the Europa actually mean? You was the best club that failed in CL/failed to qualify for CL? It's like winning the Paralympics.

People place too much importance on getting into the CL. Don't get me wrong I want top 4 badly; the revenue, appeal in the transfer window and thrill of European nights is lovely, but it's clear we (and yourselves) don't stand a chance of winning it.

Look at Arsenal, they qualify every year but what do they ****ing achieve? Nothing. Is it really that good to just make up the numbers?

I'd much rather win an FA Cup that is included in the three major titles (CL, League Title and Domestic cup).

Edit: Sorry for missing some replies out, I got swamped, so I only responded to the least stupid one's.
    Probably trolling, but taking shots at the Paralympics? Stay classy

ReputationRep:
    Just watching back the goals.

Sakho and Lovren playing different lines for all three of Dortmund goals. Don't know if it's Lovren stepping up when he shouldn't or Sakho failing to step up. All three quality finishing/play by Dortmund.

That said our first two goals were just as fantastic in terms of quality. Terrible defending from BD for the Sakho goal. Goes through 3 Dortmund players and then the 4th loses Sakho to head in. Not sure how bad the defending was for our winner but we were obviously overloading the box by that point. Credit to Sturridge for keeping the ball alive and playing Milner in. He had a great game too.

ReputationRep:
    I would just rather focus on winning the Premiership which is a very realistic aim.
    :toofunny:

You having a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Big game, big Coutinho goal. MAGNIFICENT Coutinho goal.

Off the top of my head:
    - last night, 1-2 and then a curler from 20 yards to give us hope against Dortmund
    - cool finish in league cup final late on to tie the game
    - putting Varela on his backside and chipping de Gea at Old Trafford to secure the tie
    - Stoke away, first day of the season, 35 ****ing yards out in the 86th minute, winner
    - Spurs just now, title contenders and a give and go before curling it in from edge of the box
    - City away, goal and assist
    - Chelsea away, double, comeback win, first goal outrageous as ****
    - West Ham away, FA cup quarter, Ronaldinho-esque free kick
    - City last year, 30 yard screamer late on, winner
    - Soton last year, huge game in top four chase and he smashes one in from 35 yards
    - winners in both Blackburn and Bolton cup games last year, scorcher at Blackburn
    - Wembley SF vs Villa, opened the scoring
    - Arsenal last year in the 2-2
    - winner at qpr last year, where Mario missed that sitter, 3-2 in the 11th minute of stoppage time or something
    - City. Winner. Title run in 13/14. Unbelievable technique and the biggest Liverpool goal for a decade.
    - late equaliser in the Fulham game, title race, went on to win 3-2
    - City away
    - Spurs home from 20 yards
    - Derby goal at Goodison

The new Gerrard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Just watching back the goals.

Sakho and Lovren playing different lines for all three of Dortmund goals. Don't know if it's Lovren stepping up when he shouldn't or Sakho failing to step up. All three quality finishing/play by Dortmund.

That said our first two goals were just as fantastic in terms of quality. Terrible defending from BD for the Sakho goal. Goes through 3 Dortmund players and then the 4th loses Sakho to head in. Not sure how bad the defending was for our winner but we were obviously overloading the box by that point. Credit to Sturridge for keeping the ball alive and playing Milner in. He had a great game too.
    The first one is defensive chaos after a counter, there's blame on many people there. Shinji and Castro magnificent.

The second, Sakho. Should have stepped up again at the last second. Being deeper than Lovren initially is fine.

The third is a lack of communication, and Clyne tbh. But Dortmund stretched the pitch and that's what happens. The biggest error is Clyne's, but, you know, Reus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parties in LA)

Off the top of my head:
    - last night, 1-2 and then a curler from 20 yards to give us hope against Dortmund
    - putting Varela on his backside and chipping de Gea at Old Trafford to secure the tie
    - Stoke away, first day of the season, 35 ****ing yards out in the 86th minute, winner
    - Spurs just now, title contenders and a give and go before curling it in from edge of the box
    - Soton last year, huge game in top four chase and he smashes one in from 35 yards
    - winners in both Blackburn and Bolton cup games last year, scorcher at Blackburn
    - winner at qpr last year, where Mario missed that sitter, 3-2 in the 11th minute of stoppage time or something
    - City. Winner. Title run in 13/14. Unbelievable technique and the biggest Liverpool goal for a decade.
    - City away
    - Derby goal at Goodison

The new Gerrard?
    Doesn't score any easy/boring goals either.

ReputationRep:

Off the top of my head:
    - City away
    - Derby goal at Goodison

The new Gerrard?
    Biggest problem is that while he turns up for big matches, he has a habit of going missing for games on end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Biggest problem is that while he turns up for big matches, he has a habit of going missing for games on end
    Tbh there's many faults to his game and I rate him less than any LFC fan I know, but the progression is there. Hopefully we'll create a team where he can help himself to some easy goals, and then we're looking at a POTY contender. And if we stop playing him with the likes of Benteke and Balotelli then we'll see more week in week out creativity from him.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh there's many faults to his game and I rate him less than any LFC fan I know, but the progression is there. Hopefully we'll create a team where he can help himself to some easy goals, and then we're looking at a POTY contender. And if we stop playing him with the likes of Benteke and Balotelli then we'll see more week in week out creativity from him.
    As the rest of the team improves, opposition teams will not be able to focus so much on marking just Coutinho. At the moment, most teams think "stop Coutinho, stop Liverpool". I think that will help him too.

ReputationRep:
    Hope we're at home first leg, I'm on holiday the week of the second leg :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Villarreal in the semis then. away 1st leg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    Couldn't be happier with that.
    I think we deserve it after such a hard run, however underestimating Villarreal would be very dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr tim)
    I think I'm alright with that. The team don't have to travel as far for the away game and Villarreal are unlikely to rest players before both ties since they will want to ensure they finish 4th in La Liga. Fourth seems out of reach for Seville so they will no doubt rest their best team.

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, been to all three group stage games, R32, R16, QF and I have to miss the semi-final

ReputationRep:
    Time to get bantered out by villareal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Urgh, been to all three group stage games, R32, R16, QF and I have to miss the semi-final
    Why?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.