Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    London is a right hole to live in if you're not somewhat wealthy.

Can have a much better standard of living in the North by far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Fair play man, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed it. Though I've never heard of it, where was it? If it was the city centre then maybe around Arcadian/Digbeth? I don't eat East Asian food anyway bro.
    Yeah, I've had Korean before in London and NY but this was the best I've had. It was Hurst Street, I walked down there from New Street St. How come you no like the Asian?

How can you come to Brum and not get a curry though? If you visit again go to a proper Balti house.
    Yeah, it was pretty criminal but I was only there for one night and didn't fancy it. Perhaps soon although I'll have to read up, never want to eat at a dodgy curry place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    Yeah, I've had Korean before in London and NY but this was the best I've had. It was Hurst Street, I walked down there from New Street St. How come you no like the Asian?
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Just not a fan to be honest mate. Personal taste and all that.

Yeah, it was pretty criminal but I was only there for one night and didn't fancy it. Perhaps soon although I'll have to read up, never want to eat at a dodgy curry place.
    Where are you originally from? The curry is top notch, you won't get a bad one here, the Balti Triangle is famed and where most people would recommend (in particular Adil's, just because that was where it was invented), that is in the south and the Triangle spans over three areas but there is an area in the north of the city called Boldmere, which is part of Sutton Coldfield and is a bit more affluent/middle class. The whole area is basically just Balti houses.

I would recommend the Bilash (just outside of Sutton Coldfield), the Kababish or Regards. The Dilshad is great too. If you can afford it then Lasan's on St. Paul's Square offers a different take on Indian food but you will have to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you originally from? The curry is top notch, you won't get a bad one here, the Balti Triangle is famed and where most people would recommend (in particular Adil's, just because that was where it was invented), that is in the south and the Triangle spans over three areas but there is an area in the north of the city called Boldmere, which is part of Sutton Coldfield and is a bit more affluent/middle class. The whole area is basically just Balti houses.

I would recommend the Bilash (just outside of Sutton Coldfield), the Kababish or Regards. The Dilshad is great too. If you can afford it then Lasan's on St. Paul's Square offers a different take on Indian food but you will have to pay for it.
    I grew up in Norfolk man, not many curry places. I'll have to check a few of those out, I have no idea of Birmingham geography. Curry's aren't really something I've explored that much eating out, probably could have in London but living in London is expensive enough without eating out. I've started cooking more of my own, pretty productive, time consuming though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzel)
    I grew up in Norfolk man, not many curry places. I'll have to check a few of those out, I have no idea of Birmingham geography. Curry's aren't really something I've explored that much eating out, probably could have in London but living in London is expensive enough without eating out. I've started cooking more of my own, pretty productive, time consuming though.

They're the easiest food to make because the base ingredients are the same. It's expensive to buy all the spices in one go if you plan to only make one curry but if you cook them regularly or do it in bulk then they're cheap.

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/

^ They have loads of hard to find ingredients and deliver very fast.

You should join our Curry Society bro.

Londoners don't know chit about curry btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    London is a right hole to live in if you're not somewhat wealthy.

Can have a much better standard of living in the North by far.
    Agree.

May have to move north, buy a house then move into london later on in my life. We're talking a 40k a year job minimum to really enjoy London.

ReputationRep:
    Said it many times Indian food is very overrated. Chinese over an Indian any day. They get the spices wrong, it's unnecessarily hot without the right taste in flavour to back it up. An Indian restaurant has a much better atmosphere though, be it for a date or whatever.
    (Original post by swarly)
    watch this.

related to the whole 7 black billionaires out 1600; jews discussion from a few pages ago.

god sundays are boring without football.
    Agree. Wealth and being rich are different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Said it many times Indian food is very overrated. Chinese over an Indian any day. They get the spices wrong, it's unnecessarily hot without the right taste in flavour to back it up.
    In London maybe. This is the biggest load of *******s I think I have ever read. Where exactly have you been eating Indian food? Either go to a decent place or learn to cook it yourself. It's not hard.

Indian cuisine and even curries are varied. Curry has a wide range of flavours and heat levels. You probably think a vindaloo is hot, despite the fact the original recipe is not even meant to be full of heat. Is a korma, pathia or Balti hot?

ReputationRep:
    Pizza > Chinese > Chippy > Indian

Come at me Wilf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabioCannavaro)

Come at me Wilf
    All of those are great except for Chinese. Chinese food (in this country) typically has poor quality meat and is covered in stinky sauces to hide the fact you're probably eating an AIDS infested dog.

Pizza is lovely but it's just one dish. Chippy is quality, but it's just chips with a pie, or battered fish, or saveloy at the end of the day. Nowhere near as varied as Indian cuisine.

ReputationRep:
    Also we should get plug going again.

ReputationRep:
    In London maybe. This is the biggest load of *******s I think I have ever read. Where exactly have you been eating Indian food? Either go to a decent place or learn to cook it yourself. It's not hard.

Indian cuisine and even curries are varied. Curry has a wide range of flavours and heat levels. You probably think a vindaloo is hot, despite the fact the original recipe is not even meant to be full of heat. Is a korma, pathia or Balti hot?
    Low heat food in curry shops are too bland and boring as well. Seems like they go extreme on everything.

I don't like the taste of Indian curries, I'll eat it if I'm there but it's not nice, Singaporean curries or Chinese curries are great.

I've eaten almost everything from the Jalfrezzi and Faals to the Kormas and nothing really excites me at an Indian. Chinese however excites me. If they were more classy and didn't look like the typical chicken and chips shop a lot more people would be going there. Also I'm not white, I can handle pepper. Done hot wings challenge so don't insult me with ad hom as I can eat pepper.

Also lol at people who go to chinese shops and order fish and chips when there's a cheaper one down the road. White people man.

ReputationRep:
    In fact who the **** buys a Korma(bar white people)?

Also the food content is not enough, you're spending £10 minimum on a meal that doesn't even fill you up when a £5 chinese does and it tastes better? Before people talk about experience in the place then why do takeaways cost the same or more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabioCannavaro)

Come at me Wilf
    I'm lactose intolerant so I would put Chinese above Pizza. Before hand would have put pizza first.

ReputationRep:
    I've eaten almost everything from the Jalfrezzi and Faals to the Kormas and nothing really excites me at an Indian. Chinese however excites me. If they were more classy and didn't look like the typical chicken and chips shop a lot more people would be going there.
    Are you just talking about the dirt cheap cornershop kind of Chinese? They're dirt mate. Tbh I think you've just been to crap Indian takeaways in London, I've heard it from people that live in London that the Indian cuisine there is not great, they cook everything swimming in fat so you just **** water the next day. So fair enough if you've only eaten there.

It's Phaal btw.

Also lol at people who go to chinese shops and order fish and chips when there's a cheaper one down the road. White people man.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    In fact who the **** buys a Korma(bar white people)?

Also the food content is not enough, you're spending £10 minimum on a meal that doesn't even fill you up when a £5 chinese does and it tastes better? Before people talk about experience in the place then why do takeaways cost the same or more?
    Why do you think it costs a fiver fam? And in London too .

ReputationRep:
    Are you just talking about the dirt cheap cornershop kind of Chinese? They're dirt mate. Tbh I think you've just been to crap Indian takeaways in London, I've heard it from people that live in London that the Indian cuisine there is not great, they cook everything swimming in fat so you just **** water the next day. So fair enough if you've only eaten there.

It's Phaal btw.

:laugh:
    I've ate in Liverpool too. All my friends love it so I'm the elephant in the room. I'd stick to Jollof rice with beef bits.

Depends on which corner shop. In Liverpool e.g. the local place I went to was terrible for Chinese but there's a place I go to in London that's amazing.

Phaal soz, ngl they make the pilau rice good and I usually go to that place very hungry so end up enjoying the food out of hunger but not out of taste.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think it costs a fiver fam? And in London too .
    My part of London isn't the most affluent of areas so the rule doesn't apply. The place in Pool e.g. costed more and tasted worse than in London due to it being near the centre of the City. Poor quality meat probably but if you season it well enough then it's not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I've ate in Liverpool too. All my friends love it so I'm the elephant in the room. I'd stick to Jollof rice with beef bits.
    OK cool maybe you just don't like it, but Liverpool isn't exactly famed for it's South Asian cuisine.

Depends on which corner shop. In Liverpool e.g. the local place I went to was terrible for Chinese but there's a place I go to in London that's amazing.

Phaal soz, ngl they make the pilau rice good and I usually go to that place very hungry so end up enjoying the food out of hunger but not out of taste.
    :cool:

My part of London isn't the most affluent of areas so the rule doesn't apply. The place in Pool e.g. costed more and tasted worse than in London. Poor quality meat probably but if you season it well enough then it's not a problem.
    I'd rather eat good quality meat tbh. That's why I'm dubious of Chinese food.

I like spring rolls btw.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather eat good quality meat tbh. That's why I'm dubious of Chinese food.

I like spring rolls btw.
    Yeah I get you.

Tbh I've really got into steaks atm. Any londoners know a place I can get a big fat juicy quality steak for under £30.

Not TGI fridays as their steaks are always overheated. You ask for medium rare you get medium well done.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.