Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazzaion)
    As far as I know Brisol has similar entry requirements to Oxford ^.^'
    I meant using Oxford as a back up :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    For a lot of science subjects, Oxford's entry requirements are pretty "normal". A lot of people with offers from Imperial, for instance, will have (in some cases significantly) higher grades from Imperial. Which puts you in a tricky position because Imperial can't be your insurance any more...
    I know that one of my friends who wanted to study Physics had the issue that all of her offers were A*AA, so she had to put down an insurance with the same grades as her firm. Luckily she got into her first choice, though

I suppose all I was trying to do in my post was to say that Oxford isn't the be-all-and-end-all; it is possible to put it as an insurance choice if that's the way it works out for you. If you get an offer but decide that it's not for you, then you can just reject it, or put another Uni first (as long as the entry requirements for the other Uni aren't higher).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakebasty)
    I've applied for philosophy w/ theology 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've applied for philosophy and theology as well. What college did you apply to and how did you find the PHIL?

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Any other Geography applicants?
    Xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hello278910)
    Hi

Any other Geography applicants?
    Xxx
    Hey! I'm applying for geography at Merton! What are your grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trebeccam)
    I've applied for philosophy and theology as well. What college did you apply to and how did you find the PHIL?
    I've applied to Jesus (ironically), and I thought the PHIL was bloody hard, ngl. But I didn't come out of it entirely disappointed, so we'll see. Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloamy123)
    I'm applying to St Johns! For AS I got abd and I'm predicted abb! But it's ok because my personal statement is amazing and I'm really good at interviews so i have a strong chance! Xx

ReputationRep:
    But the minimum is AAA? Does anyone else think that this will be problematic? I guess it's always worth trying. Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I'll be fine, like I said average grades don't matter if you're really good at speaking and writing personal statements! Hopefully see you there 😊 Xx
    Grades are almost worthless to Oxford tutors except for the purpose of shortlisting. Then, your interview and admission test are very important. But of course most people who dont get high grades tend to do worse on those 2. But there are exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    There is Physics PAT group here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post60822729

For the physicists in the group who are interested

ReputationRep:
    I'll be fine, like I said average grades don't matter if you're really good at speaking and writing personal statements! Hopefully see you there 😊 Xx
    They do actually matter, because if they see you aren't capable of meeting the offer in the end (from their point of view - you may know you can get AAA but your teachers haven't confirmed this) then as far as they can tell, you probably wouldn't get in if they gave you an offer. Good luck though, there are exceptions (very good admissions tests/written work etc.).

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, there are lots of applicants who are really good at speaking and writing personal statements but also have top grades, and I don't know where you've heard a good personal statement can make up for poor grades but it certainly isn't true for Oxbridge, especially given that some tutors don't even read them and only look at the quantitative facts instead of the subjective ps that probably wasn't 100% of the applicant's own work.

(Original post by ForeignStudent32)
    Grades are almost worthless to Oxford tutors except for the purpose of shortlisting. Then, your interview and admission test are very important. But of course most people who dont get high grades tend to do worse on those 2. But there are exceptions.
    Oxford don't use grades just for shortlisting, especially when there's an admissions test and sometimes they will only use the admissions test results to shortlist. When they do the final holistic evaluation of the student, they look at the grades and a student with much worse grades than the rest of the cohort will be at a significant disadvantage in comparison, even with a great interview or personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    However, if the restriction where you can only apply to one of Ox or Cam is lifted the acceptance will also become higher for both uni.
    Pls stop embarrassing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walrustrainer)
    Hahahahahahahahahaahahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walrustrainer)
    Are you stupid and not capable of thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    The thing is, there are lots of applicants who are really good at speaking and writing personal statements but also have top grades, and I don't know where you've heard a good personal statement can make up for poor grades but it certainly isn't true for Oxbridge, especially given that some tutors don't even read them and only look at the quantitative facts instead of the subjective ps that probably wasn't 100% of the applicant's own work.

Oxford don't use grades just for shortlisting, especially when there's an admissions test and sometimes they will only use the admissions test results to shortlist. When they do the final holistic evaluation of the student, they look at the grades and a student with much worse grades than the rest of the cohort will be at a significant disadvantage in comparison, even with a great interview or personal statement.
    There is a huge difference between AAA and A*AA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloamy123)
    Yay finally some geographers! I'm applying to St Cats

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably, not English so don't really know the percentage differences between the two grade boundaries but the person we were referring to said they had ABD at AS and were predicted ABB, which is far below A*AA.

I don't know why so many Oxbridge applicants think that the minimum entry requirements don't apply to them, and are then outraged that they get rejected, minimum entry requirements are a minimum for a reason...

ReputationRep:
    From Oxford Geography website:

"Candidates who have achieved or are predicted grades lower than the standard offer will not normally be invited for interview. Otherwise, the decision to invite candidates for interview will be based on achievement in the TSA and, where available, contextualised GCSE data."

ReputationRep:
    There certainly is between ABD and AAAA, which a lot of applicants will have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.