Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asem93)
    No reliability is doing it twice and getting an average making sure results are valid hence identifying anomalies.

For accuracy, measure to 2 dp/ 3sf something like that
    Yessssss thanksss asem93 love youuu Lol had litteraly 5 seconds to do the last question and ddint read the question jus purely guesssed thoseee thanks are they all enough for 4 marks yh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dundiddyknoe)
    Yessssss thanksss asem93 love youuu Lol had litteraly 5 seconds to do the last question and ddint read the question jus purely guesssed thoseee thanks are they all enough for 4 marks yh?
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaD96)
    Reliability - repeat each experiment several times and calculate an average (this will also help to identify any anomalies)
    Accuracy - something about decimal places. i know i got this one wrong.
    it was 4 marks though so Im assuming we needed to elaborate or mention more things...

ReputationRep:
    I dunno the order but these are the ones I remember

erythrocytes, oxyhaemoglobin, affinity, co2??
    Yep, even though I spelt erythocytes wrong.. and Bohr was last 1

Also, for the accuracy question, could you say use 0.05 0.10 0.15 instead of 0.10 0.20? Or is that something else, like precision....

and how did people work out the 50% question? I think I got -1750. lol. probably wrong..

ReputationRep:
    But omgggggg im sooooo glad its overrrrr im gonna burn my ocr as biology book now and focus on a2!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    it was 4 marks though so Im assuming we needed to elaborate or mention more things...
    I'd say that is enough..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam532)
    Yep, even though I spelt erythocytes wrong.. and Bohr was last 1

Also, for the accuracy question, could you say use 0.05 0.10 0.15 instead of 0.10 0.20? Or is that something else, like precision....

and how did people work out the 50% question? I think I got -1750. lol. probably wrong..
    Yeah -1750 is right

also for accuracy take intermediate values of the sucrose conc.

ReputationRep:
    assuming results come out on the first thursday of march its gonna be the 3rd of march 2011 LOL looking forward to it!!

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone put for the question about cutting the flower stem before emmersing in water?
    also whats the difference between animal and plant division?
    and finallyy,, the question about the roots water molecules take through cell membrane- how vague was that? some people put about the symplast pathway, but i put about channel proteins?! help please xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    Just remembered; you could of also said for accuracy take intermediate values of the sucrose concentration.

ReputationRep:
    ahh cool.

ya, that's what i did (i think!)

oh, 3 more Q's

How did people answer the 2 ways Plants are different to animal's when they under go cell division (or something like that)

andd.. how 'bout the one where you cut the stem (how does this help, or something along those lines..)

finally: the smoke through xylem question

ReputationRep:
    I was soo angry, i revised the heart thoroughly and understood everything but never came up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosi M)
    Lol thats nice of you.. Glad it helped Haha i'll consider tutoring

How did you find todays paper? Ah i want the answers!
    Erm, well, it was alright tbh. There were a lot of sneaky/disguised questions, and I just plain didn't know the facts in some. My teacher's predictions were absolute spot on though, she said unlikely to be anything on heart, lymph, or vessels. As well as saying that plant transport would feature heavily (it was 14/60 marks, more than anything else), and telling us exactly the answer to the 'why would you cut the end of the stem off'. I however, didn't know properly the answer to the last part of qu1 (diff between animals and plant cell division - i just scribbled something about meristems and bone marrow or something), and I was slightly unsure on a few others. Hopefully full UMS, but I dunno. Wbu, how did the tutor do ?

also, about the answers, has noone managed to get a copy of the exam paper and post the answers here?

ReputationRep:
    Increased reliability just talk about repeating the experiment and taking an average.
    Accuracy is measure to more decimal places/ use more accurate measurements.

And water is polar so it must go through channel proteins / aqua porins.... etc
    Surely using more dem places would improve precision rather than accuracy. I didnt know what to put

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoTaydo)
    For the prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telephase question, which one did 'Cell membrane Constricts' go to? what does that mean anyway, kinda mind raped me xD
    LOL it had to be cytokinesis because the rest were defo right with the other matches. which did u put for?!?

ReputationRep:
    this paper was really hard! All the other past papers were so easy compared to this one! Who thinks that the grade boundaries might be lowered? There were questions in this paper that werent even in our syllabus, i mean, i dont know anything about white blood cells and that nonsense?! I was really angry when i came out of that exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor898)
    Surely using more dem places would improve precision rather than accuracy. I didnt know what to put
    No!

Taken from Wikipedia:

the accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of measurements of a quantity to its actual (true) value.

The precision of a measurement system, also called reproducibility or repeatability, is the degree to which repeated measurements under unchanged conditions show the same results.

ReputationRep:
    increasing the number of decimal places does increase the accuracy of the results, as it is closer to the true value of the actual molar concentration of the solution.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the grade boundaries will be reasonably low due to the vagueness of the questions meaning a wide variety of answers from candidates. Probably around 42 marks for an A

ReputationRep:
    No!

Taken from Wikipedia:

the accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of measurements of a quantity to its actual (true) value.

The precision of a measurement system, also called reproducibility or repeatability, is the degree to which repeated measurements under unchanged conditions show the same results.
    alright chill

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 12, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.