Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    And because I refuse to accept that I'm wrong - this patient had a stroke, not cardiac surgery :p:
    Oh whoops haha, let me find you the right one. :p: D'oh.

Clopidogrel gets on my nerves - we have a very good lecture by a good pharmacology guy that shows the dangers of COMPOSITE ENDPOINTS.

With the rather funny point that if Mugabe used composite endpoints he could show how he was a fair and just leader...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Oh whoops haha, let me find you the right one. :p: D'oh.

Clopidogrel gets on my nerves - we have a very good lecture by a good pharmacology guy that shows the dangers of COMPOSITE ENDPOINTS.

With the rather funny point that if Mugabe used composite endpoints he could show how he was a fair and just leader...
    The right one? Meaning there is research that says there's no point to clopidogrel rather than aspirin + PPI after a stroke? Please let me be right :puppyeyes:

Composite Endpoints? :confused: I never researched it that much

ReputationRep:
    pharmacology is such a babe

ReputationRep:
    x
    How was the SSS?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    How was the SSS?
    I "passed" :p: It wasn't too bad, but my legs were all shaky. I hate public speaking so much :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I "passed" :p: It wasn't too bad, but my legs were all shaky. I hate public speaking so much :sad:
    Get used to it :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I know, I know. Apparently I didn't seem nervous, it's just in my head that I'm like "Arrrrrrgh!!!"

ReputationRep:
    I always feel rather anxious before public speaking, but I seem to take to it rather nicely once I get going, I tend to make jokes when I'm nervous haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Edit: Just received an e-mail notification from King's about my application. I'll hear a decision by March 4th at the latest. :headfire:
    :eek: I haven't even sent mine yet! I'm still minus a reference and a class ranking!

ReputationRep:
    so, wooo, everyone in halls is going out this week to celebrate end of exams... shame mine finish in two weeks! suppose i should start to get used to this being a medic and all!!

Its also difficult when upper years are saying, 'oh its only first year, you dont really need to work for the exams', when others are telling me 'yes you need to learn it reeally well, lots of people fail them!' confusion.

rant over!

ReputationRep:
    I hate public speaking so much :sad:
    You have a year or so to learn to love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blonde-beth)
    so, wooo, everyone in halls is going out this week to celebrate end of exams... shame mine finish in two weeks! suppose i should start to get used to this being a medic and all!!

Its also difficult when upper years are saying, 'oh its only first year, you dont really need to work for the exams', when others are telling me 'yes you need to learn it reeally well, lots of people fail them!' confusion.

rant over!
    You do need to do some work but you don't need to go into a massive panic and live in the library 15 hours a day. Only a very small proportion of people fail and its usually because they've done very little work.

ReputationRep:
    First proper session in the DR, with objectives and questions (please tell me we aren't the only people who dissect under pressure?) tomorrow. I may have gone overboard and spent 3 hours today making notes on the thorax. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    She'd had PMH of gastric ulcers, and we all know aspirins effect on the GI tract, hence the need for PPIs
    Don't believe the drug reps - Clopidogrel is almost as bad as aspirin. The fact that it produces marginally less GI side effects is necessarily reason to celebrate. I've got a couple of patients on my ward with H Pylori -ve ulcers after taking clopidogrel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Also something to note perhaps, I didn't really sign up to be a manager, I signed up to primarily be a clinician. I imagine most other applicants did too. Some knowledge outside of medicine is clearly needed, but doing specificity and sensitivity calculations, some parts of epidemiology and sociology I find quite dry and, to my current knowledge, not overly necessary.
    Unfortunately, being a clinician invariably involves being a manager as well whether that be management of your medical team, management of other healthcare professionals involved with your patients, or even if you rise in the medical hierarchy until you're a medical director or similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Unfortunately, being a clinician invariably involves being a manager as well whether that be management of your medical team, management of other healthcare professionals involved with your patients, or even if you rise in the medical hierarchy until you're a medical director or similar.
    So you think I should join the medical management society? >_<

ReputationRep:
    So you think I should join the medical management society? &gt;_&lt;
    Don't get CC started on...societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Don't get CC started on...societies.
    Why, is he a Freemason?

ReputationRep:
    Why, is he a Freemason?
    :ninja:

But seriously, no, I have a problem with medical school societies that exist only to pad peoples CVs. We have currently have a whole swath of them here at Cambridge e.g. the Obs/Gyn soc, Neuro Soc, ID and epidemiology Soc, Cambridge Research Soc.....
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    :ninja:

But seriously, no, I have a problem with medical school societies that exist only to pad peoples CVs. We have currently have a whole swath of them here at Cambridge e.g. the Obs/Gyn soc, Neuro Soc, ID and epidemiology Soc, Cambridge Research Soc.....
    This makes me feel better about not joining any of the UEA ones :yep: Although I do worry that I really should...... :s:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.