Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anyone_can_fly)
    That's a shame about English. Well, I have a friend who applied to Cambridge for history (so not quite the same) with AAABB, and he got an interview, pooled, and then rejected. That suggests that you'll not be dismissed out of hand. I'd focus on acing the admissions test if your highers aren't so good? Also, it may be worth contacting the admissions people once you've got your grades (explaining about English), as they'll be able to tell you properly.
    Hmmm... that's promising. Just have to hope my personal statement and admissions tests hold up then. Of course it's still early days - and I never know I could get a strong grade in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brand New Eyes)
    I see. I'm applying for PPE too, just curious as where all the other were! I'd much rather duel than do the TSA much more fun... It's always been one of their most popular and over-subscribed courses.
    I'm definitely relying on this, as someone applying for PPE too did you try for UNIQ?

(oh, and if your username is named after the paramore album, I'm very proud of you)

Does anyone know how the essay part of the TSA is marked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    Hopefully there not strict on the AAAAB front as I am hopeless at English and I'll be lucky if I have passed it. When you say AS results do you not think that that's a bit unfair as English people would have, usually, done 3 AS wheras we do 5 Highers? And they have the same requirements? Especially since I was forced to do English!
    We do 4 ASs normally, some will do 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @Jamie)
    I'm definitely relying on this, as someone applying for PPE too did you try for UNIQ?

(oh, and if your username is named after the paramore album, you're a great, great person :P)

It's not formally marked like the MCQ's are, it's just to gauge your abilty to write clearly, concisely and analytically. It's quite interesting actually, because the questions (at least in my experience) are pretty open ended. Last year one of the options was about the use of the banking system, and being a bit of an economics nerd I essentially wrote a brief critique of the central banking system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @Jamie)

(oh, and if your username is named after the paramore album, you're a great, great person :P)

Aha yes me too, sometimes i feel like i know more about the PPE process than my teachers (who didn't know the TSA was weighted). I'm just too keen and stalk TSR?

No sadly not, I wish i could have but as I go to a private school I'm barred from applying. Guessing you did? hope you get it!

Aha, yes, bit of a die-hard fan, t-shirt and all. I do miss Josh and Zac though, it's just not the same without them.

On the TSA essay bit, it's not actually part of the essay, it's a separate thing to the TSA and is not marked. It's sortof to see what type of person you are/how you think and whether you can form thoughts on paper I guess?

ReputationRep:
    Aha yes me too, sometimes i feel like i know more about the PPE process than my teachers (who didn't know the TSA was weighted). I'm just too keen and stalk TSR?

No sadly not, I wish i could have but as I go to a private school I'm barred from applying. Guessing you did? hope you get it!

Aha, yes, bit of a die-hard fan, t-shirt and all. I do miss Josh and Zac though, it's just not the same without them.

On the TSA essay bit, it's not actually part of the essay, it's a separate thing to the TSA and is not marked. It's sortof to see what type of person you are/how you think and whether you can form thoughts on paper I guess?
    Oxford students don't seem like the type who would be die hard Paramore fans - I swear half of them seem all indie I have a poster in my room though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reminisce)
    I'm sure you've all seen the Cambridge one that appeared a few days ago so I've decided to make one for those aspiring to apply to Oxford rather than Cambridge.

(NB: I know that not many people, myself included, would not have decided between the two prestigious universities just yet but having both threads would allow applicants to discuss with current students to help us make a decision on which university.)

Anyhow, if you have already chosen Oxford whether for the location or its tutorial teaching system, etc. then post a brief profile of yourself and discuss with the other posters on this thread (I'll start off):

Colleges

Balliol College

Username: DaisyMay93
    Subject: Medicine
    GCSE: 9 A*s 2 As
    AS(January):Bio A(300/300) Chem A(300/300) Physics A(290/300) History A(180/200)
    College: Balliol

Blackfriars

Brasenose College

Christ Church

Corpus Christi College

Exeter College

Harris Manchester College

Hertford College

Username: tgarrud
    GCSE (or equivalent): 7 A*s and 3As
    A Levels (or equivalent): Biology (118/120), Chemistry (91/100), Physics (118/120), Mathematics (94/100)
    Subject: Biochemistry
    College: Hertford

Jesus College

Username: theworldnow
    GCSEs: 4A*s 6As
    A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and French.
    Subject: MATHS!
    College: In love with Jesus!

Keble College

Lady Margaret Hall

Lincoln College

Magdalen College

Mansfield College

Merton College

Username: yeasayer
    Subject: PPE
    College: Merton
    A-level equivalent: German Abitur

New College

Oriel College

Pembroke College

The Queen's College

Username: harh
    GCSE (or equivalent): 10A*s 1A and an A in Add Maths
    A Levels (or equivalent): Maths, Further Maths, Biology, German, Latin
    Subject: Japanese =D
    College: Queen's

Regent's Park College

St Anne's College

St Benet's Hall

St Catherine's College

Username: Reminisce
    GCSE (or equivalent): 10A*s 3As and an A in Additional Maths
    A Levels (or equivalent): Biology, Chemistry (96/100), Physics (120/120), Mathematics (293/300), Further Mathematics
    Subject: Mathematics/Physics
    College: Leaning towards St. Catz

St Edmund Hall

St Hilda's College

St Hugh's College

St John's College

St Peter's College

St Stephen's House

Somerville College

Trinity College

University College

Wadham College

Username: doloroushazy
    Subject: english!
    College: Wadham :>
    AS subjects: English lit, German, RS, History
    GCSE: 9a*s 2as

Worcester College

tommy atkins 1842
    GCSEs - 5As, 4Bs (it was before you could get an A* - which makes me feel very old indeed)
    A Levels - ABB, History, Politics, Ancient History
    Course - PPE
    College - Worcester

Wycliffe Hall

Not Decided

Username: Timkench
    Subject: Chemistry
    College: not a clue really!
    AS subjects: Maths (86/100 - hate stats) (A2 this year) chemistry, economics (97/100), english, Further maths (entire course next year) EPQ next year
    GCSE: 10 A*s 2 A's

Username: itzRussian
    GCSE (or equivalent): 10A*s 1A & A in FSMQ Add Maths
    A Levels (or equivalent): Further Mathematics (200/200), Physics (90/90), Chemistry (84/90)
    Subject: Physics!!
    College: Not decided but Brasenose or Hertford look nice

Username: irina793
    Subject: fine art
    College: Christ Church I think, haven't really decided yet
    A level equivalent: BAC with an average of 9.70 out of 10.

GCSEs: 9A* 5A
    A Levels: Maths (396/400), further maths, chemistry, economics, chinese (83/100), no physics because it is ****
    Subject: mathemagics
    College: any of the central ones

Candide
    SGs/I2s - 4As + 5 grade ones
    Highers - Maths, Physics, English, History, French, Gaidhlig
    Advanced Highers??? - Maths, Physics, Biology/English (?), Higher Chem
    Course: was going to be PPE but I have had an epiphany - I am going to become a scientist so Biological Sciences as long as the school lets me crash Bio at AH.
    College - as long as it has kitchen facilities, I dont care

Username: TheGrandmaster
    GCSE (or equivalent): 6A*, 5A, 1B
    A Levels (or equivalent): History, Maths, Further Maths, Physics.
    Subject: History
    College: No idea

Username: roseroserose.
    GCSE: 10A* and 3A
    A Levels: History, Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Welsh Bacc (which I'm not too sure how highly they take into account)
    Subject: History & Economics
    College: I like the look of Worchester and Pembroke

Username: betaomega
    Subject: Chemistry
    GCSES:11A*'s
    AS Levels:Chem, Maths, Physics and RE
    College(s): ChCh, keble or a central one (Lincoln?)

Username: speedy03
    Subject: Hopefully English
    GCSES:10A*'s and an A.
    AS Levels:Further Maths, Maths, Physics, French and English Lit.
    College(s): Provisionally St John's, Exeter or Magdalen, but not sure in any way shape or form.

Username: treacletart01
    A Levels: German A*, French A*, English Lit A*, History B GRR
    Subject: German and with another language (prob french) or english or Pure
    College: Open application

Username: eliotball
    Subject: Mathematics and Computer Science
    College: Magdalene/University College (I think)
    AS subjects: Maths (AS in January: 97%; A2 this year), Further Maths (full course next year), Physics, Politics, EPQ
    GCSE: 7 A*s, 5 As

Username:mckee1
    Subject:PPE
    College: University college/Balliol
    Standard Grade Results: 6 1's, 2 3's
    Highers: Maths, English, Computing, Physics and History
    Adv. Higher: History, Physics, Maths? English?

Username: Mweh
    Subject: A joint honours combination out of English, German & Classics
    College: Queen's or Oriel
    AS choices: English Lit, French, German, Latin
    GCSEs: 9 A*s, 1A

Username: milkytea
    GCSE: 7 A*s 5 As
    AS (January): Maths (A) History (A) Politics (A) English Lit
    College: Will decide after I visit

Username: HolyFuzazzle
    GCSE (or equivalent): 8A*s, 2 As
    A Levels (or equivalent): *hoping to have* English Language, English Literature, Psychology, Spanish
    Subject: English Language and Literature
    College: Exeter/The Queen's College/Wadham *not decided*

Username: ak726
    GCSE (or equivalent): (HKCEE: we don't do A*s) 5As 5Bs
    A Levels (or equivalent): maths, further maths, psychology, physics, chemistry
    College: Not decided yet!

Username: laura94
    GCSE (or equivalent): 7 A*s 3 As 2 Bs
    A Levels (or equivalent): English Lit, Philosophy, Maths, Drama, Critical Thinking, Extended Project, General Studies
    College: No idea!

Username: Elle408
    Subject: English Language and Literature or Law.. (undecided)
    College: Harris Manchester
    School drop out over here! I am aiming high as a mature student! lol

Username: iosobukola
    GCSEs: 9 A*s 3 A's
    A Levels: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology
    Subject: Medicine
    College: No preference

Course: Economics and Management
    Predicted A2 levels: A*AA
    Acheived AS levels: AAAACCD
    GCSEs: 2A* 8A 1B
    College: Open Application

Username: missbanana21
    GCSE (or equivalent): 5 As at Int 2, 3 1s at Standard Grade
    A Levels (or equivalent): Currently taking Higher Maths, English, French, Spanish and Computing. Going to do crash Higher Modern Studies next year
    Advanced Highers: French, Spanish, Computing
    Subject: Surprisingly enough, French and Spanish
    College: Christ Church? I don't really know yet.

Username: rhymenoceros
    GCSE (or equivalent): french baccalaureate (think i'm the only one here for now?)
    A Levels (or equivalent): hard to say yet as our predicted grades aren't given out yet...
    College: Worcester or Oriel but probably Worcester... no idea for the colleges and I won't even be able to visit so if anyone could help that would be awesome
    Can i still join this?
    Username: Bantersaurus Rexx
    GCSEs: 6A*s, 4As
    AS : Maths, Economics, Chemistry, Biology and EPQ
    College: Still deciding between Brasenose and Balliol :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Oxford students don't seem like the type who would be die hard Paramore fans - I swear half of them seem all indie I have a poster in my room though
    Where people fall into the classic trap. There referral to Oxford Students as "type". THERE IS NO TYPE! If we were talking about Warwick or Leeds would you say that? Believe it or not they live and breath just like normal humans, and like all sorts of random stuff.

Paramore fans indie? or Oxford indie?

And anyway, I'm not an Oxford student, just a potential applicant best be too optimistic. Although, for a pessimist, I'm pretty optimistic (sorry, i just couldn't resist).

ReputationRep:
    Where people fall into the classic trap. There referral to Oxford Students as "type". THERE IS NO TYPE! If we were talking about Warwick or Leeds would you say that? Believe it or not they live and breath just like normal humans, and like all sorts of random stuff.

Paramore fans indie? or Oxford indie?

And anyway, I'm not an Oxford student, just a potential applicant best be too optimistic. Although, for a pessimist, I'm pretty optimistic (sorry, i just couldn't resist).
    there is a paramore fans type though (that is a lie, because i am not that type ), and i didn't see anyone in oxford like that that's what i meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soup)
    If you think about it, most pupils are "forced" to do Higher English (well at our school we had to do english). So English is included in my 5 subject and as I am applying to Physics I see no need in having English, I am also pretty bad in it and wondering if could even achieve a C. I think it would be a bit unfair if I was turned down because I had AAAA instead of AAAAB at Higher when I could achieve AAB at AH.
    It is odd. It's the whole idea that "you can't get in to university without english." I have a friend who is into veterinarying and gets As in science and maths but is pretty pish at English. It seems daft that good scientists dont get 5As cos they're not so brilliant at quoting Hamlet....

I think part of it is that educationalists tend to be women and think reading = fiction/literature. And that to be educated one must be good at literature.

I'm very bookish but I prefer books on history, economics and biology. Non Fiction. Proper books!

If they want everyone to do at least one essay higher why not offer a choice between English / History / Modern Studies / Politics / Philosophy etc....

ReputationRep:
    there is a paramore fans type though (this is a joke, there isn't really), and i didn't see anyone in oxford like that that's what i meant
    Ah I see, when did you visit? Are you going to the open day in July?

p.s. I made a thread just for PPE. As TSR currently seems to be lacking in such a feature.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1652630

ReputationRep:

Gah! I confess I have the t-shirts and all the albums, plus I'm looking at two posters up on my wall of Hayley.

In my youth, I had quite the crush on her...

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see, when did you visit? Are you going to the open day in July?

p.s. I made a thread just for PPE. As TSR currently seems to be lacking in such a feature.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1652630
    just about 3 weeks ago, for the maths open day, and I probably won't be going to the July open day unless I suddenly decide I have no idea which college I want to go to

nice one, myself and the rest of the non-PPE minority people can now take over this thread

ReputationRep:
    anyone looking at materials science?

ReputationRep:
    just about 3 weeks ago, for the maths open day, and I probably won't be going to the July open day unless I suddenly decide I have no idea which college I want to go to

nice one, myself and the rest of the non-PPE minority people can now take over this thread
    Oh maths! <3 sounds exciting (and no, I am not being sarcastic)

Indeed, I feel like we're taking over.

Good Luck on C2 on thursday (if you're with Edexcel)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candide)
    Gah! I confess I have the t-shirts and all the albums, plus I'm looking at two posters up on my wall of Hayley.

In my youth, I had quite the crush on her...
    I had 3 but one of them fell down. So snap 2 posters <3
    Ah, didn't we all. It seemed like everyone liked her back in the day. Heck I still have a girl-crush on her, mostly due to envy though.

In your youth!? Confess? You make it sound like an embarrassing revelation.
    Paramore will never get old for me

ReputationRep:
    I had 3 but one of them fell down. So snap 2 posters <3
    Ah, didn't we all. It seemed like everyone liked her back in the day. Heck I still have a girl-crush on her, mostly due to envy though.

In your youth!? Confess? You make it sound like an embarrassing revelation.
    Paramore will never get old for me
    I used to have a calendar too...

Oh I know, she was just mesmerizing!

Hmmm, potential Oxford applicants, are we not meant to be the future leaders of tomorrow, the future nobel prize winners, influential commentators, other such vapid dreams...

and yet, greater than all that pretentious twaddle, is a short red-haired babe from Franklin, Tenesee who dropped outta school when she was fifteen!!! =D Ah, Hayley is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Oh maths! <3 sounds exciting (and no, I am not being sarcastic)

Indeed, I feel like we're taking over.

Good Luck on C2 on thursday (if you're with Edexcel)
    paramore, maths and oxford :sogood::perv::w00t:

I've already done C2 I'm doing S2 which is at the same time though, which is just reading the formula booklet really. Cheers anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candide)
    I used to have a calendar too...

Oh I know, she was just mesmerizing!

Hmmm, potential Oxford applicants, are we not meant to be the future leaders of tomorrow, the future nobel prize winners, influential commentators, other such vapid dreams...

and yet, greater than all that pretentious twaddle, is a short red-haired babe from Franklin, Tenesee who dropped outta school when she was fifteen!!! =D Ah, Hayley is awesome.
    That made me smile... but TSR says I've reached my limit. So have a virtual thumbs up.

Pretentious twaddle. Lol those people only make up I'd say 1% of Oxford graduates? The rest go on to live average lives as teachers, managers, charity workers and whatnot.

She's amazing, and so freaking cute (I can say that because I'm a girl) If I had her voice, I would drop out of school too! but alas no. I am not blessed.

p.s. loving how this has turned into a I heart Hayley/Paramore conversation?

ReputationRep:
    paramore, maths and oxford :sogood::perv::w00t:

I've already done C2 I'm doing S2 which is at the same time though, which is just reading the formula booklet really. Cheers anyway
    Ah, you're one of those! I've stumbled across a... further maths person!? *gasp*
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised, most math applicants do it.

Oh joy! Well thou shalt be doing C2 whilst you shalt be doing S2. Ah the formula booklet <3 My joy in life. It's so lovely and pink! I'm guessing you chose to skip mechanics? but if not would you say it's harder than stats? And is C4 as gut-wrenchingly bad as everyone makes it out to be?

p.s. if those smilies correlate with words then the :perv: (it actually says perv!) was for maths? REALLY?

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.