Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    You do not need to get your GP to complete the Health forms
    Oh but for one section it said to be completed by general practitioner, and it had a signature box and stuff ..

I'll just miss that bit out and go along next week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukestar)
    Just curious as to how others find there experiences
    I haven't been to division or out on duty for about 3 months. Lost motivation because of the general lack of engagement with new members and the annoying way in which division was run. It's all change now so am giving it another go, but if it slips back into the clique *******s that was going on before I will just hand back my uniform and pack it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    I haven't been to division or out on duty for about 3 months. Lost motivation because of the general lack of engagement with new members and the annoying way in which division was run. It's all change now so am giving it another go, but if it slips back into the clique *******s that was going on before I will just hand back my uniform and pack it in.
    Oh right okay well not all divisions are like this, there is much change in SJA and that's for most things so It can be hard to be focused on at all but if you have a good management team at your unit then you will get good attention and help but if you don't go to a good unit then it's understandable if you lack motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    Oh but for one section it said to be completed by general practitioner, and it had a signature box and stuff ..

I'll just miss that bit out and go along next week
    that is not the standard health declaration form, nor the drivers medical form...

ReputationRep:
    Hi again!

So I've been to my 3rd meeting with my chosen unit now. It's great constantly meeting new people!

I made a bit of **** of myself by asking if other trainers were "better" in other units.

I still feel really inexperienced with regard to first aid knowledge and techniques... hopefully I can get out on duty soon!

How long did it take for people to start going on duty? Also, how would you advise I learn the first aid knowledge aside from the meetings? Is there some sort of study material I could ask for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    I made a bit of **** of myself by asking if other trainers were "better" in other units.
    :rofl: +rep

Also, how would you advise I learn the first aid knowledge aside from the meetings? Is there some sort of study material I could ask for?
    you could buy the St John first aid book

ReputationRep:

Sure, laugh it up. I was mortified when the trainer I asked looked at me with an eyebrow raised.

Hm. I might just do that. I'm hoping when I get on duty I'll be able to pick up skills first hand though.

ReputationRep:
    Ya should get a free St John Ambulance first aid book as soon as ya do the first aid at work course.

ReputationRep:

Bear in mind the 'St John' way with techniques and knowledge is not always the best way, a lot of first aid is common sense but you need experience and quite a bit of it until you develop your own ways and techniques of dealing with things ps start on small duties such as local football teams and stuff like that until you do major events and if your ever unsure about stuff on duty always get help before you end up making a situation or a problem possibly worse, I don't mean to sound so blunt or vague

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unit meetings are not the prime place for learning new stuff - that's what the certificated and assessed courses are for .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukestar)
    Bear in mind the 'St John' way with techniques and knowledge is not always the best way, a lot of first aid is common sense but you need experience and quite a bit of it until you develop your own ways and techniques of dealing with things ps start on small duties such as local football teams and stuff like that until you do major events and if your ever unsure about stuff on duty always get help before you end up making a situation or a problem possibly worse, I don't mean to sound so blunt or vague

Posted from TSR Mobile
    except of course as an operational member of SJA not following SJA operational policies will result in your membership being terminated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    except of course as an operational member of SJA not following SJA operational policies will result in your membership being terminated.
    There is that, you do have to be careful and upto date with all the polices and procedures

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what it's like over there but here they're quite lenient when it comes to the fine details.

However the strictness of rules is there for a reason. A few years ago at our division, there was a fella' who did an illegal blue lights run and a car followed with hazards, he's never been seen since. There was a video on youtube of it by a passer by.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno what I've gotten myself into but gonna be vice chairman for my University SJA Links division next year. Anyone ever been on their Uni's committee?

ReputationRep:
    How do you apply?
    I want to join as cadet so applied online but several months later still no reply and i emailed my hq and didn't get a reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel97)
    How do you apply?
    I want to join as cadet so applied online but several months later still no reply and i emailed my hq and didn't get a reply
    Find out where and when the local cadet unit meets and turn up and say that you want to join that unit and an adult of the unit should assist you ! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have been going to an adult unit since November last year, but I am only 16, was told it would be best not to go to cadets as they are all young and would not be what I was looking for. Is so annoying though as I cannot do any anything and Only time I can do practise things ect is when there are other 16 year olds there. cant even go out to duties to observes because I am not registered properly despite filling in all the forms .Its so annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the Epsom Derby?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the bupa 10k duty tomorrow. not looking forward to getting sunburn!

ReputationRep:
    I'm fully raging I didn't read my duty options this week because of exams and guess what I missed doing today... A Van Morrison concert. FML.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.