Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    I thought it was an ok episode. Not brilliant, but not too bad.

Might as well chip in my thoughts on the potential name for the Doctor...

Spoiler:
    Show
    essentially I think it will not necessarily revolve around his actual name, but rather the name he's made for himself doing what he does over the past 1000 years... he's picked up several monikers over that time (oncoming storm, Destroyer of Worlds (davros names him that at 1 point), "mighty warrior"/changing the meaning of the word doctor for some to that meaning/word and so on. Basically I think that it'll be an episode which reveals not necessarily his name but his character... yeah he does good, but he often manages to do it at a high cost essentially, and can be extremely ruthless and calculating... I think it was also perhaps referred to with the point about him having ice in his heart(s) as well as his apparent indifference at the life & death of the earth in the blink of an eye too....

just my thought on it.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Its been confirmed that his greatest secret will be revealed by Moffat though? and the prophecy from Dorium means we are going to find out his name and whatever character elements come with why he has been running from his name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    With the doctor taking pictures on Earth after it was brown and barren at the end of its life - when the Earth was destroyed by the sun in 'The End of the World' (S1E02), then it still looked blue and green ><
    That might not have been Earth just an asteroid well in the future of the Earth's destruction-it did have an atmosphere though because the Doctor visited the same spot, when the Earth wasn't even born yet because 6 billions years ago is 1.4 billion years before Earth so it seems logical to think he visited the place after Earth was destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    That might not have been Earth just an asteroid well in the future of the Earth's destruction-it did have an atmosphere though because the Doctor visited the same spot, when the Earth wasn't even born yet because 6 billions years ago is 1.4 billion years before Earth so it seems logical to think he visited the place after Earth was destroyed.
    The place after the Earth was destroyed would be inside the Sun I believe. (Wasn't the premise that the sun was going to expand, consuming the Earth?)

ReputationRep:
    Re Doctors name

Spoiler:
    Show
    Even if Moffat's intention is to reveal the Doctors name in the finale I highly doubt it would be told to us viewers. I imagine it would be told via whisper to the concerning party = River, who will then use his name to gain 10ths trust in Forest of the Dead / Silence in the Library, otherwise the Silence would prevail in their plans regarding 11th Doctor, which is why they are so adamant to stop it from happening.

Telling us his name beats the shows premise anyway, Doctor Who?

I'm quite suspicious about what the Dorian told the Doctor about Trenzalore (sp?) "when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer". Living? So would something like the Flesh be able to lie, what about the Teselecta?

Idk. My theories are never really on point.

Much more interested on who is the leader of the Silence. Hope they give Clara an epic story as well, love her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    Re Doctors name

Spoiler:
    Show
    Even if Moffat's intention is to reveal the Doctors name in the finale I highly doubt it would be told to us viewers. I imagine it would be told via whisper to the concerning party = River, who will then use his name to gain 10ths trust in Forest of the Dead / Silence in the Library, otherwise the Silence would prevail in their plans regarding 11th Doctor, which is why they are so adamant to stop it from happening.

Telling us his name beats the shows premise anyway, Doctor Who?

I'm quite suspicious about what the Dorian told the Doctor about Trenzalore (sp?) "when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer". Living? So would something like the Flesh be able to lie, what about the Teselecta?

Idk. My theories are never really on point.

Much more interested on who is the leader of the Silence. Hope they give Clara an epic story as well, love her.

Spoiler:
    Show
    We are going to find out the Doctor's name its been confirmed in interviews where he said that viewers would be jawdropped by the doctor's greatest secret, which is obviously his name

ReputationRep:
    I'm just starting to watch the latest episode now. I'm not a fan of ghost stories, so yes I did check behind my bed before I watched it! Despite being a teeny tiny bit terrified myself, that "Clara, I'm not holding your hand" scene was genuinely hilarious.

A bit about Saturday's episode with speculation and spoiler references on future/50th episodes.
    Spoiler:
    Show

...On a more serious note, a Rose reference ("ghost busters") within the first 3 minutes of the episode? A bit excessive, non?

Anyway, overall, good episode but it would be nice to have a stand alone one. I felt like I was focusing so much on the Rose references/hints to the 50th/Clara etc that I almost stopped appreciating the actual story. The Rose references were a little bit on the heavy side too.

I'm liking Clara so far in this episode. So much better than the other ones. But what's with all the sudden in-jokes - "your pants are so on fire" and "no taksie backsies"?

And what's the significance of "whisky is the eleventh most disgusting thing ever invented"?

Yvonne Hartman says "I did my duty" in Doomsday; Alec Palmer said exactly the same thing. Might be a coincidence but I'm on the look out for hints/Rose references. Sorry if that point (or any others) has been picked up already on this thread.

Obvious comparison with Alec and the Doctor as war heroes.

So we now know how the Doctor gets into Rose's universe - or the other way around...

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Moffat has definitely been planning this whole doctors name thing since "silence in the library" where Tennant meets river for the first time and when she tells him his name she says "I'm so so sorry" so it's obviously been building up for a while, this terrible dark secret. If he's been planning it this long, I doubt it'll be rushed and screwed up, it's Moffat, he's a genius and he's had like 4 years to plan this
    The best episodes of any series are written by Moffat, I don't particularly like any of the other writers, I think Moffat should just write them all

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A question about spoilers (but it's a spoiler in itself if you don't know certain info about the 50th anniversary episode)....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Is the fact that Rose/10th are back in the 50th spoiler-worthy? So any future references to/speculation about that should be spoiler-ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    A question about spoilers (but it's a spoiler in itself if you don't know certain info about the 50th anniversary episode)....

Spoiler:
    Show
    Is the fact that Rose/10th are back in the 50th spoiler-worthy? So any future references to/speculation about that should be spoiler-ed.
    Yep.

Anything that has been officially announced about future shows counts as a spoiler. If you're speculating about it, it's worth saying above the spoiler that it's speculation about an official spoiler - then people who don't mind those can read it and join it :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    And what's the significance of "whisky is the eleventh most disgusting thing ever invented"?
    I thought that was Moffatt laughing at us actually, knowing that we'd be looking for every possible clue... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    I thought that was Moffatt laughing at us actually, knowing that we'd be looking for every possible clue... :p:
    You could be right there. Of course he's bound to throw in a few red herrings. He knows us TSR lot are pretty good at figuring out plot lines. We could bring his empire down!

ReputationRep:
    Not impressed with the recent episodes of Doctor Who. Something just seems to be missing lately. Stories just seem rushed, and the programme doesn't seem like the Beeb's lovechild anymore, like it's running out of steam.

Hope not, because I enjoy the show's legendarium, and I also like Matt Smith as the Doctor (very important he stays, as I don't think the show is now strong enough to overcome a change of title character).

ReputationRep:
    I just spent pretty much the whole episode wishing Emma was the companion, to be honest :p:

I loved this episode.

I just don't think Clara should have been able to get into the Tardis without a key

ReputationRep:
    I'm incredibly worried about the finale. If the name is revealed, Moffat is playing a HUGE gamble.

ReputationRep:
    My expectations for Dr who have gotten so low that last episode turned out to be surprisingly good for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That "I am the Doctor, and I am scared" was so blatantly shoehorned in for the trailer.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with all the "I hope Moffat doesn't really do it" sentiments.

He's in dangerous territory - if he reveals x y and z about the Doctor's past, it's all well and good for the short term satisfaction of audiences, but it's going to severely limit the show in its current state. If there is nothing else drawing the audience in (in that we know everything already), then people will stop watching.

In my opinion, Doctor Who started going down hill a few years ago - when the American audiences started getting on board, it's now all about big secrets, angst, annoying quirky Britishness, etc.

Compare to Ecclestone's Doctor - there was a bit of an overarching storyline, but until the last 2 episodes it was completely on the backburner and the show was effectively serialised.

Imo, Doctor Who works best when it's serialised Star Trek style, with one big bad final boss to end the season - Daleks, Cybermen, Master, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Compare to Ecclestone's Doctor - there was a bit of an overarching storyline, but until the last 2 episodes it was completely on the backburner and the show was effectively serialised.
    To be fair, it's pretty similar now - Moffat's idea of forshadowing is put the same couple of words in every episode but don't include anything that could actually be interpreted.

ReputationRep:
    Spoilery image of something in the next episode. It could be nothing, it could be something.

Spoiler:
    Show

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.