Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For The Crucible, would they ever ask about characters like Tituba as I don't see how you could talk much about her (although they did ask about Giles Corey before)...

And if they asked about the Girls in general, would it be fine to focus on Abigail and write a small section on the others?

ReputationRep:
    GUYS!!!!
    Look at the past papers, they tend to do a character and how they represent the outside world
    in my opinion its got to be george,lennie or candy
    i hope its candy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabz_x)
    Argh, I've got two chemistry and two physics papers on the same day of both English literature exams! D: #Stressed
    Thanks btw x
    No problem and woah good luck! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    For The Crucible, would they ever ask about characters like Tituba as I don't see how you could talk much about her (although they did ask about Giles Corey before)...

And if they asked about the Girls in general, would it be fine to focus on Abigail and write a small section on the others?
    Tituba doesnt really change much as a character unlike giles corey so I feel like a question on her would be an absolute joke
    Also Mary warren and Abigail have been done within the last 3 years so I feel like a question on the girls as a group would be incredibly unlikely as Mary and Abigail are the main girls in the group

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyBazooka)
    I have a point about Inspector Goole: The Inspector is the metaphor for the First and Second World War, for instance before he arrives the atmosphere within the Birling household is relaxed yet full of tension (e.g. relationship between Eric and his father, Sheila suspicious of Gerald), similar to how the alliances were full of tension before the inception of WW1. Once the Inspector arrives, this tension is released and the family begins to fall apart (much like how Britain and the allies began to fall apart due to the war). After the Inspector leaves, the Birling parents and Gerald fail to learn from what has happened, which reflects the national mood after WW1, and because of this (the timing of the final call is sound to Mr Birling's mockery of the Inspector and the younger generation) they pay for it in 'fire and blood and anguish (obviously foreshadows WW1 and WW2) with the call signifying the Inspector's second arrival.

btw Eva Smith may be a possible religious reference to 'Eve' from the Old Testament of the Bible, which is symbolic for how she represents women and the working class as a whole. The name may also be a reference to Eva Braun (Hitler's wife and partner) as the cause of death for both is similar.

For Slim of OMAM: Slim is presented by the author to be his own example of ideal human behaviour, for instance he treats Crooks with respect despite the strong presence of racial prejudice within the era, and is the first to comfort George after Lennie's death - "you hadda George, I swear you hadda".

I have more but can't be bothered :/
    The first two points are WAY to far fetched

ReputationRep:
    how many quotes should we include?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha792)
    Hey! I've written answers to these questions- thanks for posting the questions. I was wondering, what points were you looking for?
    Good luck for Monday !
    In note form, my answers went like this:

a) "tall" - Other ranch hands look up to him literally and figuratively.

"long" and "black" hair - Same appearance as depictions of Jesus, makes Slim more important because he's compared to someone who is key to a lot of people's lives.

"combs" hair - Action only done by someone who has people look at them a lot. Tells us he is important because he is someone who must be looked at for reassurance and help.

"royalty" - Saying he is someone who has a closer link to God than the average person.

can drive "ten, sixteen, twenty mules" - The longer an observer looks or thinks about him the more positively they think of him. His importance can be seen doubling here in a short duration of time.

"gravity" - Comparison with fundamental force of nature or a star, essential for life.

"understanding beyond thought" - Comparison with an omniscient (all knowing) God.

b) Slim is giver of life or death: lets Carlson kill Curley's dog, kills 4 of dog's puppies so the others have better chance of life, tells George killing Lennie was the right thing to do. Steinbeck saying that there was hope, there were ideal men around in 1930s who weren't clouded emotionally and could be rational. OR Steinbeck saying there is no hope, even the ideal men are violent.

Slim is helper in the story: helps Curley up after fight with Lennie, helps George up after killing Lennie. Helped both villain (Curley) and hero (George), implies Steinbeck was telling us people weren't just one-sided in the 1930s, people were neutral too.

................................ ................................ ................................

You could have written about anything in part 'a' and, as long as you used PEE analysis, gotten a mark for it. In part 'b' there are so many things you can write about, as long as what you said sounds intelligent and answers the question you should be getting marks.

Good luck to you too, hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Tituba doesnt really change much as a character unlike giles corey so I feel like a question on her would be an absolute joke
    Also Mary warren and Abigail have been done within the last 3 years so I feel like a question on the girls as a group would be incredibly unlikely as Mary and Abigail are the main girls in the group
    So which character do you think is most likely to come up?

Personally, I hope it's Danforth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryanb97)
    so how are people revising???

ryan
    Youtube Vids, my own analysis on potential symbols and dialogue, and stalking this thread....I wish I had a decent teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FergusJVL)
    GUYS!!!!
    Look at the past papers, they tend to do a character and how they represent the outside world
    in my opinion its got to be george,lennie or candy
    i hope its candy
    I quite like analysing his dog but yep all true

ReputationRep:
    I have a point about Inspector Goole: The Inspector is the metaphor for the First and Second World War, for instance before he arrives the atmosphere within the Birling household is relaxed yet full of tension (e.g. relationship between Eric and his father, Sheila suspicious of Gerald), similar to how the alliances were full of tension before the inception of WW1. Once the Inspector arrives, this tension is released and the family begins to fall apart (much like how Britain and the allies began to fall apart due to the war). After the Inspector leaves, the Birling parents and Gerald fail to learn from what has happened, which reflects the national mood after WW1, and because of this (the timing of the final call is sound to Mr Birling's mockery of the Inspector and the younger generation) they pay for it in 'fire and blood and anguish (obviously foreshadows WW1 and WW2) with the call signifying the Inspector's second arrival.
    I like the idea of the Inspector being a metaphor for the World Wars a lot. It's a shame we do not get marked on context though in Section A.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got anything related to Mr Pip? Would appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    So which character do you think is most likely to come up?

Personally, I hope it's Danforth
    Same! I'm so keen for Danforth to come up! I find that the stage directions for him are often more telling about his emotions than his words are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Anybody have a list of the poems which have come up in relationships higher - and ones which 100% won't appear? (AQA have a list of some which won't)
    :eek: They do? Do they do this for all clusters? (I'm doing character and voice)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexb1908)
    I'm doing Character and Voice from the Anthology, Mister Pip, and The Crucible. Anyone else doing any of these? They don't seem very popular, looking through all the posts.

Nervous about Crucible because bad questions could come up - the past questions aren't great, but Mister Pip isn't too bad. My English teacher thinks Les Grands Seigneurs and Case History: Alison might come up this year for character and voice.

:eek:
    I'm doing Character and Voice too, but I haven't really started revising it yet. just doing a bit here and there...hmm Case History seems ok, but I'm not a big fan of Les Grands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    No problem and woah good luck! :eek:
    I knoww, argh Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lot less concerned about the poetry exam, I find it easier to analyse poems during an exam than to write about a whole story.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing the relationships cluster of poems which one would you compare sonnet 116 to and why? I'm fine analysing the poem alone but I'm really stuck with which one to compare it to :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msxo)
    Both of them are neither in the language or the literature.
    Thank you msxo. You are so wise and intelligent. I see you try and be witty with your '.'
    I see what you did there....

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:

btw Eva Smith may be a possible religious reference to 'Eve' from the Old Testament of the Bible, which is symbolic for how she represents women and the working class as a whole. The name may also be a reference to Eva Braun (Hitler's wife and partner) as the cause of death for both is similar.

For Slim of OMAM: Slim is presented by the author to be his own example of ideal human behaviour, for instance he treats Crooks with respect despite the strong presence of racial prejudice within the era, and is the first to comfort George after Lennie's death - "you hadda George, I swear you hadda".

I have more but can't be bothered :/
    A***** thinking!!

Posted from The Student's Room iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.