Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Right-wing factions seeking to run debate on TSR? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Oh no. :no: You need to click the TSR logo and then click on the Most Popular Threads on TSR tab. This is the most popular thread on the WHOLE OF TSR not just the absurdly minor UK Politics forum.
    Ok!
    It made it onto the list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    Someone stated that human beings have a human right to healthcare.

You disputed this.

You were wrong to do so.

What do 'natural rights' have to do with anything?
    Well it was pretty obvious I was talking about first principles before you interjected clutching your copy of the UDHR.

But even if you wanted to go down the legal route...how would it be illegal for the UK to dismantle the NHS? Every single member of the UN has a different healthcare arrangement, but we don't sanction the members that allow private healthcare providers to operate within their borders.

I think you're paying the UDHR far too much attention and using it in a pedantic and frankly annoying way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Well it was pretty obvious I was talking about first principles before you interjected clutching your copy of the UDHR.

But even if you wanted to go down the legal route...how would it be illegal for the UK to dismantle the NHS? Every single member of the UN has a different healthcare arrangement, but we don't sanction the members that allow private healthcare providers to operate within their borders.

I think you're paying the UDHR far too much attention and using it in a pedantic and frankly annoying way.
    I'm sorry if I annoyed you.

They could indeed dismantle the NHS. It's illegal to deny healthcare to anyone, however the salient issue is how, and how much a person will be charged for service. If at all.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I believe with complete privatisation we'd watch as healthcare inequalities and costs rise, and standards drop. There are plenty of real world examples of this.

I take an interest in the law. When someone ignores or distorts it, either intentionally or unintentionally, I call them up.

But you're right, I'm flogging a dead horse, I'll let it go.

Are you really a chef by the way?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if I annoyed you.

They could indeed dismantle the NHS. It's illegal to deny healthcare to anyone, however the salient issue is how, and how much a person will be charged for service. If at all.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I believe with complete privatisation we'd watch as healthcare inequalities and costs rise, and standards drop. There are plenty of real world examples of this.

I take an interest in the law. When someone ignores or distorts it, either intentionally or unintentionally, I call them up.

But you're right, I'm flogging a dead horse, I'll let it go.

Are you really a chef by the way?
    These issues are quite important (to me at least) because they get to the heart of so much that is wrong with society.

I'm a strong believer in rights, particularly natural ones, but when people claim they have a right to 'healthcare', 'education' or even food they're inadvertantly legitimising a model that is based upon cheating and theft, i.e the model we have now only in a slightly different form. What I tend to ask myself is this: "is there a way to satisfy our collective need for healthcare/education/food without resorting to force and coercion" and I'd have to answer yes, but only if we make a series of reforms that begin with the marketisation of healthcare but also include other changes to ensure that everybody has equal access to the resources they need.

It's easier to point the finger and claim that the evil righties want to take away 'R NHS' but that's only half the story. There are different ways we can connect doctors and patients and the statist model is just one of many.

I'm not a chef btw, but I was when I started posting on another forum a couple of years back.

ReputationRep:
    Someone stated that human beings have a human right to healthcare.

You disputed this.

You were wrong to do so.

What do 'natural rights' have to do with anything?

I t appears although Dave does not recognise it he is nearly fully diagnosable as a 'freewibbler on the land '

- extreme libertarian to the point of Sociopathy - check
    - fascination with 'natural rights' and 'common law' and belief that they are more powerful that statute - check
    - belief he does not have any ' contract' with the law or the rest of humanity unless he chooses to do so -check

- all we need now is
    a) for him to declare himself a sovereign citizen and you've got the full set
    b) claim that the Capitalisation of Words makes the Word have a different meaning from the word ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    I t appears although Dave does not recognise it he is nearly fully diagnosable as a 'freewibbler on the land '

- extreme libertarian to the point of Sociopathy - check
    - fascination with 'natural rights' and 'common law' and belief that they are more powerful that statute - check
    - belief he does not have any ' contract' with the law or the rest of humanity unless he chooses to do so -check

- all we need now is
    a) for him to declare himself a sovereign citizen and you've got the full set
    b) claim that the Capitalisation of Words makes the Word have a different meaning from the word ...
    They often go off and found their own Kingdom, generally on a disused oil platform or some sleepy village that they take over and terrorise.

ReputationRep:
    This is now such a regular pattern that the UK politics forum appears to be almost dead in the water - most posters are bogged down arguing with people who appear to be wholly committed to the EDL/BNP/Ukip lines. So much so, that we must ask the question - are these organisations seeking to control debate on TSR? Is TSR willing to allow this to continue? Is it what we really want?
    I should've expected as much. A leftist OP is calling for censorship of right wing opinions on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    I should've expected as much. A leftist OP is calling for censorship of right wing opinions on TSR.
    Or was, back in April 2013. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Or was, back in April 2013. :teehee:
    You haven't changed since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Thank you, thank you. :hat2:

Your confidence in my integrity is appreciated. :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    this one is even older:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post41948663

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.