Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westarmy)
    Y-gain and time base control...
    However knowing the value of these settings are necessarily required in unit 1 exam, you should explain by saying 'adjust until a full cycle in shown on oscilloscope screen'
    Sorr,y but you do need to know the values. I know the value for the time base, 2.5 ms/div, and for the Y-gain, I got 20 V/dis which is correct, but I can't quite remember how I got there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yajman)
    Can someone please help me with question 3b? I got the right answers initially but when I go back and look over it, I can't quite figure out what I did. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.egsphysics.co.uk/files/a_...W-QP-Jan04.pdf
    Say that you will need to alter the scale axis. (x and the y-axis). Or, you need to decrease the frequency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Say that you will need to alter the scale axis. (x and the y-axis). Or, you need to decrease the frequency.
    Hey mate. I know that the y-gain and the time base need to be adjusted, and know how to get the value for the time base. Initially, I managed to get the value for the y-gain too, but seem to have forgotten how to get there, if that makes any sense at all...

ReputationRep:
    Sorr,y but you do need to know the values. I know the value for the time base, 2.5 ms/div, and for the Y-gain, I got 20 V/dis which is correct, but I can't quite remember how I got there...
    The exact values aren't required if you look at June 2012 PHYA1 pastpaper thats probably the highest point on being asked about a oscilloscope.
    The old spec may have asked for exact values on the oscilloscope setting, but trust me you won't get asked like the exact values etc...

This is the most you'll require on the exam for explaining how the oscilloscope works

ReputationRep:
    This is the most you'll require on the exam for explaining how the oscilloscope works[/QUOTE]

Yup! there are the buttons/settings on the oscilloscope. The x and y-axis are time base and y-sensitivity.

ReputationRep:
    The exact values aren't required if you look at June 2012 PHYA1 pastpaper thats probably the highest point on being asked about a oscilloscope.
    The old spec may have asked for exact values on the oscilloscope setting, but trust me you won't get asked like the exact values etc...

This is the most you'll require on the exam for explaining how the oscilloscope works
    I appreciate that, but I just need the reassurance that I can calculate it... Really sorry for being pedantic and a right nuisance, but it's frustrating having initially worked out, and not being able to retrace your steps.

ReputationRep:
    Are many people resitting? I got a B last year.

How's everyone feeling?

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate that, but I just need the reassurance that I can calculate it... Really sorry for being pedantic and a right nuisance, but it's frustrating having initially worked out, and not being able to retrace your steps.
    Are you talking about Q3a or 3b?

ReputationRep:
    Then again I'm a guy who loves his mechanics
    That makes me more attracted to you than it should.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't worry guys, I think I understand it! It says that the peak-to-peak has to occupy the fully screen. As there are 8 divisions, the peak will occupy 4 divisions, with 80v divided into these 4 divisions. Hence, there has to be 20V/cm. Thanks for your help. The very best of luck to you all for tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Oh don't worry guys, I think I understand it! It says that the peak-to-peak has to occupy the fully screen. As there are 8 divisions, the peak will occupy 4 divisions, with 80v divided into these 4 divisions. Hence, there has to be 20V/cm. Thanks for your help. The very best of luck to you all for tomorrow.
    Anyway, Very bad luck to you then! (Note: I think whenever someone says "good luck to you", I usually end up failing (literally) everything. So why not try bad luck? HAHA)

ReputationRep:
    No problem haha it's fine :P

(Original post by reemaisthinking)
    That makes me more attracted to you than it should.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh really?
    Would you like to balance my pivot by placing weights on either side? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, Very bad luck to you then! (Note: I think whenever someone says "good luck to you", I usually end up failing (literally) everything. So why not try bad luck? HAHA)
    Lol, ha ha! No problems mate... Shall I wish you bad luck then?

ReputationRep:
    If they ask for the definition of a:

Antiparticle:

Is this just a corresponding particle to another particle which gas the same rest mass (energy) but different quantum properties such as charge or baryon number.

Exchange particle:

Is this a particle that mediates a force and transfers momentum to create other particles.

Are these definitions okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am tired now! I think I am done with physics unit 1. Does anyone need any particular help? (EXCEPT JUMMY20002013 hahahaa only joking:sheep:) ?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, ha ha! No problems mate... Shall I wish you bad luck then?
    of course!!! Thanks :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)

Antiparticle:

Is this just a corresponding particle to another particle which gas the same rest mass (energy) but different quantum properties such as charge or baryon number.

Exchange particle:

Is this a particle that mediates a force and transfers momentum to create other particles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep! Look good to me.

ReputationRep:

Antiparticle:

Exchange particle:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Antiparticle = A particle with the same mass but opposite charge
    Exchange particle = A particle that mediates a interaction and transfer charge...

Don't over complicate terms, just a simple conclusion is okay dude
    However nothing against your definition terms they're excellent! But from my experience over complicating = No marks

ReputationRep:

Antiparticle:

Exchange particle:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It should be perfect!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    anyone care to explain 5 b) on this paper? http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...1-W-SQP-07.PDF

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.