Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    Strike action is something Labour obviously supports
    :eek: So you're not saying that striking is a necessary evil to get better conditions for workers, you're saying Labour actually support strike action, that striking is a good thing? That's a hell of a statement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    :eek: So you're not saying that striking is a necessary evil to get better conditions for workers, you're saying Labour actually support strike action, that striking is a good thing? That's a hell of a statement!
    Petty. I am saying it's the necessary evil, we do not think striking should be banned so we support the idea of a strikes. Obviously ADR is the first step.

Pardon me and i've edited it.

ReputationRep:
    Would the Labour Party support increasing the house to 60 MPs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    Would the Labour Party support increasing the house to 60 MPs?
    No, atleast not at the moment. There are many parties and more seats would allow all to partake although activity may not be high enough at the moment, if the general election collects new blood then we may talk about this in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cardozo)
    Petty. I am saying it's the necessary evil, we do not think striking should be banned so we support the idea of a strikes. Obviously ADR is the first step.

Pardon me and i've edited it.
    Ahh, that makes much more sense Though I always find it weird to be in favour of strike action. I wouldn't describe being in favour of worker rights and better pay and believing strikes are an acceptable way to get that being in favour of strikes, in the same way I would say I'm in favour of abortion but I'm strongly pro-choice. I'm glad to see your position is a lot more sensible than it sounded when I read it!

But how is that petty? Not quite sure I get what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Ahh, that makes much more sense Though I always find it weird to be in favour of strike action. I wouldn't describe being in favour of worker rights and better pay and believing strikes are an acceptable way to get that being in favour of strikes, in the same way I would say I'm in favour of abortion but I'm strongly pro-choice. I'm glad to see your position is a lot more sensible than it sounded when I read it!
    I don't like to see them happen but sometimes it is justified, just like your example of abortions.

But how is that petty? Not quite sure I get what you mean.
    I wrote petty before I even re-read my post just forgot to remove it, I thought I had gone on to explain what I had said, so again I apologise.

Oh, and good look in the election

ReputationRep:
    The Heathrow expansion is something I am strongly opposed to. As a resident of West London, the plans would lead to noisy planes flying over my town at all times of day and would also lead to the demolition of an entire village. I would strongly advocate high speed rail as an alternative to domestic flights. When factoring in the time spent waiting at an airport, it would take a similar length of time to travel from London to Manchester by train as it would by plane, with a similar level of comforts and amenities.

If we can significantly cut the length of time taken to travel from London to Glasgow and Edinburgh and link Heathrow into this network, we can reduce the number of domestic flights taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    If we can significantly cut the length of time taken to travel from London to Glasgow and Edinburgh and link Heathrow into this network, we can reduce the number of domestic flights taken.
    Exactly my thoughts. The amount of domestic flights that would be cut from tourists travelling onwards in both directions would be enormous, whilst also business would benefit from cheaper travel and in many cases quicker travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Aye, though we should also consider parts of the country that are not on the East or West-Coast mainline as well. Travelling by the Great Western line to Devon and Cornwall takes hours and hours. Similarly travelling from most parts of Wales takes a good couple of hours at least (and that's from Cardiff on the fastest route) so whilst I can appreciate the financial imperative to the Central Belt - London lines I do think that if we're planning on introducing high speed rail and better quality rail we should not neglect those parts of the country that I've mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)
    Aye, though we should also consider parts of the country that are not on the East or West-Coast mainline as well. Travelling by the Great Western line to Devon and Cornwall takes hours and hours. Similarly travelling from most parts of Wales takes a good couple of hours at least (and that's from Cardiff on the fastest route) so whilst I can appreciate the financial imperative to the Central Belt - London lines I do think that if we're planning on introducing high speed rail and better quality rail we should not neglect those parts of the country that I've mentioned.
    That's an important point as I realised last year on my way to Glastonbury. We will have to give great thought to ensure we do not disadvantage others in our actions.

ReputationRep:
    The only way that we should favour high speed rail over Heathrow's terminal expansion is if prices on the high speed rail system were significantly lowered. It's almost the same price to go on a plane from London to Manchester than it is to get the train. And if you book in advance, it can be far cheaper by flying. People are going to choose what is cheapest for them. I think you would have to seriously look at some sort of "green subsidy" for the trains if they are to not be a colossal failure. Oh and nationalise them all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    The only way that we should favour high speed rail over Heathrow's terminal expansion is if prices on the high speed rail system were significantly lowered. It's almost the same price to go on a plane from London to Manchester than it is to get the train. And if you book in advance, it can be far cheaper by flying. People are going to choose what is cheapest for them. I think you would have to seriously look at some sort of "green subsidy" for the trains if they are to not be a colossal failure. Oh and nationalise them all.
    I think you guys did that a while back!

One of the problems we have in this country, is that the fares system is confusing and absurd. Lots of different rail companies setting their own fares means the price per mile of a journey varies dramatically depending on the route you are travelling on. There needs to be more regulation.

That said, operating railways in this country has always been horrendously expensive; High Speed 1 cost £5.8bn and is only 69 miles long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    By the same token, if you book in advance it's extremely low in comparison. However, I agree with you about pricing. I support nationalisation.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Affordable public transport is important

ReputationRep:
    What does the TSR Labour Party think of this latest from Ed Miliband? (Courtesy of BBC News).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    What does the TSR Labour Party think of this latest from Ed Miliband? (Courtesy of BBC News).
    Personally: I'm quite disappointed by the decision and consider it rather shortsighted. As for the whys, I've set those out before.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think most of us support nuclear power being used to generate electricity especially as the environment is suffering due to carbon emissions, however, I do feel that the waste produced needs to be handled with greater care and we should probably wait until we have a suitable way of disposing of such hazardous waste before rolling it out further.

After these nuclear plants have been put into operation I’d like to see wind farms and wave energy etc being harnessed by the UK so that when the older power stations begin to shut down we can slowly become nuclear free, although I doubt totally. Nuclear fusion I really want to see advances in and funding made available for.

I do however, feel forcing them through is an unfair thing to do and do not feel the government really has justification to do so. I doubt anyone if consulted would welcome a plant in their backyard but forcing it through can only damage the reputation of the Labour government.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this doesn't really apply in TSR land as we've already legislated on the issue, but what do you guys think about it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, this doesn't really apply in TSR land as we've already legislated on the issue, but what do you guys think about it?
    As I said when you made the legislation, strict on those who commit crime and delete all records for anyone who is innocent.

ReputationRep:
    What does the Labour Party feel about Vanilla Ice Cream, Chocolate Sauce and Morrisons Value Ready Salted Crisps together?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.