Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I found an interesting article on the BBC a few minutes ago.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22350807
    Could this example be used if you were discussing the government's efforts to reduce health inequalities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)
    What order is everyone going to do Paper 1 in? I know it depends on what the questions are, but which section do you think you will do first and leave to last?

Is it best to just do it all in order or choose the ones youll do best in and then the not so good ones leave to last? Never really thought about it :P

ReputationRep:
    For anyone doing the politics of development in Africa, there's an interesting article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21851042 which focuses on positive aspects of development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    I found an interesting article on the BBC a few minutes ago.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22350807
    Could this example be used if you were discussing the government's efforts to reduce health inequalities?
    Definitely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CarlyR)
    Definitely
    Phew. I've been scouring the news websites like mad to find v. recent examples the past couple of days.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody have an essay plan for ethnic minority political participation in the USA? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala4)
    Anybody have an essay plan for ethnic minority political participation in the USA? Thanks
    ecosse_14 posted one earlier which was extremely helpful.

ReputationRep:
    So what has everyone been doing today? I've just finished 2 timed essays, will do another two later and tomorrow, I'll go into school, get my teacher to mark them while I do a practice DME and I'll ask him about his predictions!

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling with regards to finding a way to approach a collectivism vs individualism essay. Could anybody briefly lay out a plan/structure for such a Q? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeeKeeDee)
    So what has everyone been doing today? I've just finished 2 timed essays, will do another two later and tomorrow, I'll go into school, get my teacher to mark them while I do a practice DME and I'll ask him about his predictions!
    Been making mind maps and writing out more notes all day. Will do an essay tonight and maybe a DME. I am also planning on going in to school tomorrow to revise a bit whilst having the teachers support there if needed and get my work done over the weekend marked, as i cant always rely on TSR haha!

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling with regards to finding a way to approach a collectivism vs individualism essay. Could anybody briefly lay out a plan/structure for such a Q? Thanks.

Critically examine the view that government, not individuals, should be responsible for
    health care and welfare provision.

This essay is about collectivist and individualist approaches to health care and welfare provision.
    Your answer could describe these, look at how they affect the policies govts adopt, and then consider how successful they have been.

Intro could state welfare state a safety net for those in need of welfare and health care - cradle to the grave. Funded through general taxation and like an insurance system, pays for help at when people need it. However, parties disagree on how the help should be organised and how much
    responsibility individuals should have.

The individualist view (traditionally Conservatives) stresses that differences in health and wealth explained by individual lifestyle choices - health, some drink, smoke, use drugs, eat a poor diet and do little exercise. Poverty - some fail to get qualifications, some opt for state benefits rather than work for low pay. (Figures could be given to show link between poverty and poor health.)

Individualists - criticise 'nanny state' - aim to reduce state role so that individuals take more
    responsibility – tighter controls on benefits and strict tests on those who qualify (e.g. for disability benefits). For health, emphasis on educating people through health campaigns to make better choices. Individualists more open to private health care and introducing private companies into the NHS (e.g. catering, cleaning)

Collectivists say reality is more complex – stress many want to work but caught in poverty trap – cycle of deprivation difficult to break out of - link between poverty and ill health – poor lifestyle choices often result of situation disadvantaged are in - so merely calling for better choices not enough – govt action needed to tackle complex and inter-related causes of poverty and poor health

Blair Labour govt accepted link between poverty and ill-health – collectivist approach based on govt reports (Acheson) – policies aimed to reduce social inclusion - use benefits to help people back to work – aim to cut poverty, raise self-esteem, improve health. Policies included New Deal, Job Centre Plus, Sure Start, Tax credits. Health policies included target setting, smoking ban, govt programmes to tackle obesity, etc..

Labour policies brought some successes (statistics). However very expensive – massive growth in public spending on benefits and NHS. Some say major cause of recession.

Could conclude by saying severe govt cuts now under way by coalition govt - likely to see a swing
    back to less expensive individualist policies .. could cause difficulties for many Lib Dems who tend
    to be more collectivist and some believe could threaten the coalition.

ReputationRep:
    Phew. I've been scouring the news websites like mad to find v. recent examples the past couple of days.
    Finding examples and stats is so hard :/

ReputationRep:
    http://www.poverty.org.uk/

Lots and lots of examples and statistics here for wealth and health issues, albeit not completely up to date.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have points on success on reducing gender inequalities.
    I have a few for success but loads for failure. I'm trying to make them balance.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've been an idiot and decided to leave revision to the last minute:confused:...doesn't make a change for me. I managed to pass with a B in the prelim but now I'm kind of freaking out. Would anyone be able to help me with section 1A - Devolved Decision Making in Scotland? I have a feeling it will be on devolution - what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey could some one give me a plan on how to tackle the question on Assess the impact of recent immigration on the USA. Also do you think that for USA it's more likely that Immigration or Ethnic minorities influence on election cause in 2009 it was on the America dream and in 2011 it was social and economic inequalities. So it may be more likely to be immigration and ethnic vote???

ReputationRep:
    I know its been asked already but what is the predicted question for global security?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2013exams)
    Hey could some one give me a plan on how to tackle the question on Assess the impact of recent immigration on the USA. Also do you think that for USA it's more likely that Immigration or Ethnic minorities influence on election cause in 2009 it was on the America dream and in 2011 it was social and economic inequalities. So it may be more likely to be immigration and ethnic vote???
    I think that this year it will be along the lines of ethnic minorites affecting election results or their political progress. It could also be immigration... we never know haha.

Assess the impact of recent immigration into the USA.

To properly address this question you need to show an understanding of the immigration debate, the impact it has on US society( economically, politically and culturally) and a balanced analysis of it’s overall impact.

NB to show balance you must show some advantages as well as some disadvantages.

Some factors to discuss:

Economic impact:

• Immigrants do low paid jobs that others will not which allows America to stay competitive
    • Wage levels are forced down by immigrants – therefore immigrations hurts the poor in USA
    • Cost to taxpayer through the facilities used by immigrants eg children of illegal immigrants receive free schooling HOWEVER illegal immigrants do not receive more than emergency medical care, and also it has been shown that they do contribute to taxes.
    • Cost of investment to border security

Cultural impact:

• US culture being overwhelmed – In California by 2030 Hispanics are forecast to be the majority.
    • America as a ‘melting pot’ of nations benefits from increased diversity.
    • Illegal immigrants increase crime in America and contribute to the trade in drugs, particularly as many are used as drug ‘mules’ as they travel into America, HOWEVER, there are many immigrants who are not involved in crime themselves and provide a much needed workforce to service industries and farming industries.

Political impact

• Political disputes and lack of guidance at the federal level has led to greater conflict in border regions and to individual states passing new laws to reduce illegal immigration – eg Arizona law.
    • Impact of increase in minority ethnic vote – growing Hispanic population increases their influence at election time. – positive for minority groups, but could be seen as a negative impact by the ‘white establishment’ within America.

ReputationRep:
    is there a chance we'll be asked something like "assess government responses to health inequalities"? came up in my prelim but doesn't seem to have ever been asked in the past

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot lala4 really helps. Im just hoping its ethnic vote and not immigration but we'll find out on the 9th.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.