Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam-jam)
    That's a summary of what I have been explained by someone in person based on information I got from "get into medical school for dummies" and the questions I had on it.

As I said, I'm no expert and I'd love to hear from others if I wrong/they have better explanations!!!
    yeah, you have summarised it effectively

thanks but you can add to it that these CCG's (Clinical Commissioning Groups) are run by GP's and doctors and nurses.

Also the whole reform will cost about 1.4 billion pounds and will lead to 20,000 administration redundancies.

by the way if you don't mind me asking where have you applied and when is your interview

ReputationRep:
    re the kid pushing the mother down the stairs, interesting question although I'm a bit concerned at med school asking prospective students these questions as they seem more appropriate for finals. Expecting you to have alot of medical knowledge before you start is favouring people like my son who has grown up with both parents as doctors and is used to having (anonymised) medical discussions going on. I thought medical schools were trying to get more diversity in their applicants.

My answer to add to that given would be looking at events leading up to the fall in detail. was it a one off accident, is the child often violent? Any ADHD/ other behaviour or mental helath problems like autism that the whole family may need help with. Was the mother drugged up or drunk (sadly not that uncommon in my area) and too embarrassed to say she just fell downstairs.

re if her husband did it again what led up to it, is there a history of violence, was alcohol involved. What happens then decides on the circumstances, whether or not she wants the police involved and how seriously she's injured.
    The only time I'd think of involving the police without her consent would be if she was seriously injured and said he recurrently abused her and even then I'd check with my medical defence union first (and my consultant if a junior doc). Otherwise give her info on domestic abuse numbers to call etc and patch her up.

I wouldn't have known this stuff before qualifying though so would be surprised and disappointed if they're preferring applicants who can answer this sort of stuff at entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priya_Biju)
    Hey everyone!
    I am applying to medicine this year and I am about to start preparing for my interviews (that's me hoping that I will get at least one interview!). I couldn't find any Medicine Interview Prep thread for 2014 so I thought I will start one.
    As the application deadline approaching, more people will start sending off their applications. I'm starting this thread for those who want to start interview preparation as early as possible. Can I just emphasize that this thread is for interview preparation, not post-interview discussion. Please refrain from doing so as it is against TSR policy.

ISC Medical School Interview Book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Scho...8829215&sr=8-2
    I would highly recommend buying this book as I have been told it provides a lot of help with interviews. This seems like the most popular interview prep book among medicine applicants. (I just ordered mine )

If you know of any other useful interview prep material, please share it as it will be useful for other people too.

Sharing is caring

Lets all hope that all our hard work pays off !! Good luck future Doctors!
    Hi, I am quite new to TSR, although I have been finding them frequently in my google searches. And this is wonderful, cuz all I had for myself as so called " interview prep" sources was just one single document of questions. ( Gonna try and upload that here )
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Med_School_interview_questions.docx (16.4 KB, 443 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taysidefrog)
    re the kid pushing the mother down the stairs, interesting question although I'm a bit concerned at med school asking prospective students these questions as they seem more appropriate for finals. Expecting you to have alot of medical knowledge before you start is favouring people like my son who has grown up with both parents as doctors and is used to having (anonymised) medical discussions going on. I thought medical schools were trying to get more diversity in their applicants.

My answer to add to that given would be looking at events leading up to the fall in detail. was it a one off accident, is the child often violent? Any ADHD/ other behaviour or mental helath problems like autism that the whole family may need help with. Was the mother drugged up or drunk (sadly not that uncommon in my area) and too embarrassed to say she just fell downstairs.

re if her husband did it again what led up to it, is there a history of violence, was alcohol involved. What happens then decides on the circumstances, whether or not she wants the police involved and how seriously she's injured.
    The only time I'd think of involving the police without her consent would be if she was seriously injured and said he recurrently abused her and even then I'd check with my medical defence union first (and my consultant if a junior doc). Otherwise give her info on domestic abuse numbers to call etc and patch her up.

I wouldn't have known this stuff before qualifying though so would be surprised and disappointed if they're preferring applicants who can answer this sort of stuff at entry.
    Tbh I think it's way too complicated for a med school interview as well, and I think many finalists would struggle to create a coherent answer. I think people are being a bit over-imaginative in creating questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam-jam)
    That's an interesting point re whether you can inform the police or not.

I'm pretty sure that if its a minor (so you suspect child abuse) you are obliged (and rightly so!) to inform at the very least social services/police but I wonder if its the same with adults.

It could be that if you suspect spousal abuse then you report your concerns but it is up to the patient pressing charges as to whether or not the police can take it further

Does that sound plausible?? Anyone else know?
    Generally, if a competent adult patient refuses to contact the police/social services, and they are not responsible for a minor, then there is nothing more you can do as a doctor other than to treat the patient. You can still obviously give the patient information about local support services, groups, ect, but you cannot disclose the details of the attack to the police. If, however, a third party is at risk (i.e, a minor), then you are able to inform the police/social services.

Also happened to find a great scenario for this (with case notes) on the GMC website: http://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/ca...n/scenario-02/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PocketMerlin)
    Generally, if a competent adult patient refuses to contact the police/social services, and they are not responsible for a minor, then there is nothing more you can do as a doctor other than to treat the patient. You can still obviously give the patient information about local support services, groups, ect, but you cannot disclose the details of the attack to the police. If, however, a third party is at risk (i.e, a minor), then you are able to inform the police/social services.

Also happened to find a great scenario for this (with case notes) on the GMC website: http://www.gmc-uk.org/gmpinaction/ca...n/scenario-02/
    Link is great, and thanks for clearing that up for us

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if we have to let the other unis know dates of interviews we have been offered so they don't offer an interview on the same day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_dewji)
    Does anyone know if we have to let the other unis know dates of interviews we have been offered so they don't offer an interview on the same day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless they specifically ask for dates you're not available on, I wouldn't have thought so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_dewji)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, just if they clash.

Last year, I got an invite to interview from St Andrews and then two days later I got one from Leicester, for the same day. I'd obviously already told St Andrews I was attending theirs, so I emailed Leicester and they rescheduled it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Systole)
    Unless they specifically ask for dates you're not available on, I wouldn't have thought so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    No, just if they clash.

Last year, I got an invite to interview from St Andrews and then two days later I got one from Leicester, for the same day. I'd obviously already told St Andrews I was attending theirs, so I emailed Leicester and they rescheduled it.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    What sort of things are good to ask in the 'have you got any questions for us?' type things? I always go blank at this as don't want to say somethign stupid that has already been answered (or should have been..) from reading the prospectus/open day information etc.

ReputationRep:
    Please give your responses to the following questions. From what I know they're very common.

Q1.What are core/key qualities of a doctor?
    Please give your reason(s) for each core/key quality you address.

Q2.What is a Multi-Disciplinary Team, MDT? Are they essential? Give an example of an MDT you saw during your work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it useful to read books on medical ethics as preparation? Seems like most universities place particular focus on that topic. And what medical ethics books are best?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student 1)
    What sort of things are good to ask in the 'have you got any questions for us?' type things? I always go blank at this as don't want to say somethign stupid that has already been answered (or should have been..) from reading the prospectus/open day information etc.
    dont ask anything

ReputationRep:
    If I am asked "Tell us about a recent article that you've read?", how do I go about answering this question? I'm sure that a good answer would incorporate more than just a simple description of what the article is about and essentially what I have learn from it... surely?

Are these kind of questions common in interviews (both traditional and MMI)? What kind of articles are appropriate to mention (e.g. strictly recent medical developments)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehhhh)
    If I am asked "Tell us about a recent article that you've read?", how do I go about answering this question? I'm sure that a good answer would incorporate more than just a simple description of what the article is about and essentially what I have learn from it... surely?

Are these kind of questions common in interviews (both traditional and MMI)? What kind of articles are appropriate to mention (e.g. strictly recent medical developments)?
    Is a bbc article from bbc health acceptable...coz I don't usually read any other articles...

ReputationRep:
    I have access to the BMJ, if I fall about articles in this will this work against me..? There was a really interesting article about obesity I'm interested in.. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If asked about an article, does it have to be medically related? (so i couldn't talk about chemistry for example?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estrellaa)
    If asked about an article, does it have to be medically related? (so i couldn't talk about chemistry for example?)
    You are applying for medicine..
    Unless the chemistry is pharmacology related personally I'd steer clear but I guess it's up to you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a really stupid question but do you guys reckon beard? no beard? or stubble? I look like a child without a beard but I want maintain a sense of professionalism.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 31, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.