Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Intentionally covering up a term, so he could have either said a less offensive version of the rhyme, stopped it or not use it at all?
    Clarkson's full apology

"Ordinarily I don't respond to newspaper allegations but on this occasion I feel I must make an exception. A couple of years ago I recorded an item for Top Gear in which I quote the rhyme "eeny, meeny, miny, moe". Of course, I was well aware that in the best-known version of this rhyme there is a racist expression that I was extremely keen to avoid. The full rushes show that I did three takes. In two, I mumbled where the offensive word would normally occur and in the third I replaced it altogether with the word teacher. Now when I viewed this footage several weeks later I realised that in one of the mumbled versions if you listen very carefully with the sound turned right up it did appear that I'd actually used the word I was trying to obscure. I was mortified by this, horrified. It is a word I loathe and I did everything in my power to make sure that that version did not appear in the programme that was transmitted.

"I have here the note that was sent at the time to the production office and it says: 'I didn't use the N-word here but I've just listened through my headphones and it sounds like I did. Is there another take that we could use?'

"Please be assured I did everything in my power to not use that word, as I'm sitting here begging your forgiveness for the fact my efforts obviously weren't quite good enough, thank you."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Clarkson's full apology

"Ordinarily I don't respond to newspaper allegations but on this occasion I feel I must make an exception. A couple of years ago I recorded an item for Top Gear in which I quote the rhyme "eeny, meeny, miny, moe". Of course, I was well aware that in the best-known version of this rhyme there is a racist expression that I was extremely keen to avoid. The full rushes show that I did three takes. In two, I mumbled where the offensive word would normally occur and in the third I replaced it altogether with the word teacher. Now when I viewed this footage several weeks later I realised that in one of the mumbled versions if you listen very carefully with the sound turned right up it did appear that I'd actually used the word I was trying to obscure. I was mortified by this, horrified. It is a word I loathe and I did everything in my power to make sure that that version did not appear in the programme that was transmitted.

"I have here the note that was sent at the time to the production office and it says: 'I didn't use the N-word here but I've just listened through my headphones and it sounds like I did. Is there another take that we could use?'

"Please be assured I did everything in my power to not use that word, as I'm sitting here begging your forgiveness for the fact my efforts obviously weren't quite good enough, thank you."
    So essentially, he mumbled a racist word and is justifying it when he could have just said what he said in the first take or the third take? What he says makes no sense and is just justifying what he said when it wasn't acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    I like Clarkson, a lot. He trolls people on TV and nothing is ever done to him.

So what, he tried not to mumble a racist word and failed marginally. He clearly he didn't mean it. It's all about context. I guarantee 100% that 419, Jam and all of the other black people on here have used the N word multiple times growing up. I listen to 50 rappers a day using that word 3 or 4 times for every breath they take. Clarkson has made stupid/inane/funny/insulting/outright racist remarks about Indians, Mexicans and pretty much every race/nationality/class on the whole ****ing earth. That's his script, his role for that TV show.

Just because it's a white man using the word that there is this controversy. FACT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReturnoftheG)

So what, he tried not to mumble a racist word and failed marginally. He clearly he didn't mean it. It's all about context. I guarantee 100% that 419, Jam and all of the other black people on here have used the N word multiple times growing up. I listen to 50 rappers a day using that word 3 or 4 times for every breath they take. Clarkson has made stupid/inane/funny/insulting/outright racist remarks about Indians, Mexicans and pretty much every race/nationality/class on the whole ****ing earth. That's his script, his role for that TV show.

Just because it's a white man using the word that there is this controversy. FACT.
    I agree, but he's still a ****.

I think it's because of the many times he's used racial slurs, such as calling people slopes. Hence why I'm annoyed. Plus there's a difference between calling your mate a ****** or a derogatory term and saying it on TV. I'm against black people saying the word as well.

See my thing on calling mixed raced people 'half ****' I grew up saying the word but don't say it now because it's racist.

Plus I don't like him and stopped watching top gear when I was like 17.

ReputationRep:

You know what actually, i don't use the word. I might be shamefully obsessed with American culture but, I didn't grow up in an environment where the word was used and had no reason to use it. I didn't even know the full extent of the emotions behind the word till well into my teens.

But anyways, you're right. The notion that only a black person can use the n word is one of the most basic illogical theory I've ever heard. Saying that is racist. Evolution needs to quickly eradicate these racist people. Also, people who say using the n word makes you a racist also need to remove themselves from the human population. Think I've told you this before, words aren't racist, context are.

People should just watch Stewart Lee.

And looking at the actions of Clarkson here especially with him taking it on his own personal accord to correct his error, it doesn't look like he was been racist but, I'm pretty sure he intended to use the n word initially as that's what Top gear modus operandi is- pushing the boundary to try and be funny. This is all just a sadistic attempt by him to try and be funny.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but he's still a ****.

I think it's because of the many times he's used racial slurs, such as calling people slopes. Hence why I'm annoyed. Plus there's a difference between calling your mate a ****** or a derogatory term and saying it on TV. I'm against black people saying the word as well.

See my thing on calling mixed raced people 'half ****' I grew up saying the word but don't say it now because it's racist.

Plus I don't like him and stopped watching top gear when I was like 17.
    He's a **** on TV, but he's not a **** because he said ******. He's a **** because he's a bit of a sadist in general: but that's his humour. Personally, I don't even think his so called racism is all that deep/highly inappropriate, there are hundreds of comedians who take the TV slot just an hour later and say far worse stuff based on racial stereotypes. As usual, just media bull****/faux out rage from middle class white people trying to find a new victim to crucify with their 'exclusive' front page headlines...

(Original post by 419)
    You know what actually, i don't use the word. I might be shamefully obsessed with American culture but, I didn't grow up in an environment where the word was used and had no reason to use it. I didn't even know the full extent of the emotions behind the word till well into my teens.

But anyways, you're right. The notion that only a black person can use the n word is one of the most basic illogical theory I've ever heard. Saying that is racist. Evolution needs to quickly eradicate these racist people. Also, people who say using the n word makes you a racist also need to remove themselves from the human population. Think I've told you this before, words aren't racist, context are.

People should just watch Stewart Lee.

And looking at the actions of Clarkson here especially with him taking it on his own personal accord to correct his error, it doesn't look like he was been racist but, I'm pretty sure he intended to use the n word initially as that's what Top gear modus operandi is- pushing the boundary to try and be funny. This is all just a sadistic attempt by him to try and be funny.
    Well, I'm not black (another minority tho), but I used the word plenty when I was younger. And don't feel guilty. Still use it today (but less, rarely when with my few black friends).

But I agree with the rest of your post.

I'm perfectly happy for Clarkson to say ****** on TV. The only argument against it is that children will see it and use it, which is ofc a major argument. I don't know what time slot Top Gear is anymore, it used to be 8pm and now it's 9 apparently, idk what watershed is anymore either.

Either society stops people like Reg Hunter and all black people saying ******, or everyone is free to do it. Splitting us up like that is only going to cause racism.

ReputationRep:
    He's a **** on TV, but he's not a **** because he said ******. He's a **** because he's a bit of a sadist in general: but that's his humour. Personally, I don't even think his so called racism is all that deep/highly inappropriate, there are hundreds of comedians who take the TV slot just an hour later and say far worse stuff based on racial stereotypes. As usual, just media bull****/faux out rage from middle class white people trying to find a new victim to crucify with their 'exclusive' front page headlines...

Well, I'm not black (another minority tho), but I used the word plenty when I was younger. And don't feel guilty. Still use it today (but less, rarely when with my few black friends).

But I agree with the rest of your post.

I'm perfectly happy for Clarkson to say ****** on TV. The only argument against it is that children will see it and use it, which is ofc a major argument. I don't know what time slot Top Gear is anymore, it used to be 8pm and now it's 9 apparently, idk what watershed is anymore either.

Either society stops people like Reg Hunter and all black people saying ******, or everyone is free to do it. Splitting us up like that is only going to cause racism.
    That's true.

It's not the case of using the actual word, it's more the use of it being in a nursery rhyme that has racist roots. That's why I'm offended. Not the actual word.

I don't care if people used the word. I'm not a fan of it but if somebody wants to use it they can and I'm not going to act like I've not said it before.

ReputationRep:
    That's true.

It's not the case of using the actual word, it's more the use of it being in a nursery rhyme that has racist roots. That's why I'm offended. Not the actual word.

I don't care if people used the word. I'm not a fan of it but if somebody wants to use it they can and I'm not going to act like I've not said it before.
    Well you say that the nursery rhyme has racist roots - does the word itself not have that?

I agree that it may be a little difference. Too tired to work out whether the difference between a nursery rhyme and a word in terms of racist roots is all that. Especially cos the nursery rhyme has a graphic description of catching the word and 'torturing' (front page word there) it.

go clarkson

ReputationRep:
    Well you say that the nursery rhyme has racist roots - does the word itself not have that?

I agree that it may be a little difference. Too tired to work out whether the difference between a nursery rhyme and a word in terms of racist roots is all that. Especially cos the nursery rhyme has a graphic description of catching the word and 'torturing' (front page word there) it.

go clarkson
    Yeah, the catch a '******' by the toe is what done it for me as a racist statement. Considering they used to cut black peoples toes back in the days that's what annoyed me about this as well as using the word.

Same way I'd be offended if they made a nursery rhyme like 'gas that jew up' or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway.

So any hot girls and is anybody currently banging a model chick? Wanna hear stories.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the catch a '******' by the toe is what done it for me as a racist statement. Considering they used to cut black peoples toes back in the days that's what annoyed me about this as well as using the word.

Same way I'd be offended if they made a nursery rhyme like 'gas that jew up' or whatever.
    but ****** itself also of course has deep rooted racist connotations though.

too tired to think about this properly lol.

meanwhile theres this quality thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2666778

ReputationRep:
    I'm offended that Clarkson is a multi-multi-millionaire based on absolutely zero talent and nothing more than vague, faux-blokey 'banter'. Watched about 5m of top-gear once and was incredibly irritated. Who is entertained by his crap?

No doubt that he should be sacked though, but some of the most irritating people in the world are the professionally offended, butter-wouldnt-melt middle class pricks. Of course what was said was totally out of order, but had he kicked someone's head in, they'd probably act less shocked. Why? Their 'outrage' is merely for vanity purposes and I honestly think those people who speak more forthrightly are much more helpful for society.

Strange argument. If I go round for dinner at my parents house and make a joke that her cooking is terrible then she'll probably laugh but if a stranger comes round and says the shame she'll probably tell him to leave. Certain things can be said when it is absolutely clear there is no malice intended, and other things can not without the other person rightfully starting on you.

I dont think Clarkson was trying to be racist tbh, why would he say something like that on camera? And besides, it was not directed at anyone at all. But you cant work for the BBC and say things like that. He is a buffoon.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone on here watch Gogglebox btw?

One of the funniest shows I would never have thought I would like. The posh couple on it crack me up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    I'm offended that Clarkson is a multi-multi-millionaire based on absolutely zero talent and nothing more than vague, faux-blokey 'banter'. Watched about 5m of top-gear once and was incredibly irritated. Who is entertained by his crap?

No doubt that he should be sacked though, but some of the most irritating people in the world are the professionally offended, butter-wouldnt-melt middle class pricks. Of course what was said was totally out of order, but had he kicked someone's head in, they'd probably act less shocked. Why? Their 'outrage' is merely for vanity purposes and I honestly think those people who speak more forthrightly are much more helpful for society.

Strange argument. If I go round for dinner at my parents house and make a joke that her cooking is terrible then she'll probably laugh but if a stranger comes round and says the shame she'll probably tell him to leave. Certain things can be said when it is absolutely clear there is no malice intended, and other things can not without the other person rightfully starting on you.

I dont think Clarkson was trying to be racist tbh, why would he say something like that on camera? And besides, it was not directed at anyone at all. But you cant work for the BBC and say things like that. He is a buffoon.
    Wait are you saying he should be sacked or he shouldn't? Because the bolded says he should be but you might have worded it wrong and meant he shouldn't as that's what the rest of your post suggests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Wait are you saying he should be sacked or he shouldn't? Because the bolded says he should be but you might have worded it wrong and meant he shouldn't as that's what the rest of your post suggests.
    Yeah, of course he should be sacked. Cant really see what more there is to say really.

ReputationRep:
    I think Zurich's got it covered tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course he should be sacked. Cant really see what more there is to say really.
    Seems incredibly harsh to ruin his career over what is at worst an error of judgement. He shouldn't have said it, yes, but as you said it wasn't intended to be offensive and wasn't directed at anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Seems incredibly harsh to ruin his career over what is at worst an error of judgement. He shouldn't have said it, yes, but as you said it wasn't intended to be offensive and wasn't directed at anyone.
    I dont actually think Clarkson is a racist, just a buffoon, he's not out beating young black kids up when he's not making Top Gear. But there are professional codes of conduct.
    If I worked at the BBC as a toilet cleaner and was heard saying that, I'd be sacked on the spot so not sure why he should be held to different standards. I'm sure he has black co-workers and I can understand if they refuse to work with him after this. That's really the most important thing. Not whether some white 'online social justice activist' from Dalston is 'offended' or whatever drivel he posts on twitter. What is certain is that the BBC currently have their eyes fixed on the 'offend-o-meter' and will only sack him if it reaches a certain point. It's all very tedious and very very sterile.

The only thing I disagree with are the people who try to make these incidents into something more than they are, at least relatively speaking. Similar to the owner of the NBA team the 'LA Clippers' who has been banned for life and fined £2.5m for some bizarre racist rant, that was made in private and aimed at no one at all in particular. But as I understand it, there have been well known rapists, wife-beaters, players who have committed GBH and even committed gun crimes who have returned to the sport without 0.1% of the hysteria. This is odd, I can only call it hysteria driven by an army of self-serving journalists locked in a race to be 'most offended'.

I'm not really qualified to speak about the issue, but I have a friend of Colombia origin who has the racism problem solved. If someone ever slanders him he literally laughs at them, and simply calls them a 'moron'. Ultimately if someone abuses you it says nothing about you, and lots about what kind of person the abuser is. Children have more perspective, ''sticks and stones'' and all that. The more you built stupid racist remarks into huge deals, as lots do, the more hurtful they become.

Always thought Morgan Freeman had the right idea:

As a society we're actually going in the opposite direction. Even if you think about how people react to sexist comments these days. People are embarrassed for the person who utters them but people do have the perspective to see that no one has strangled a kitten. They'e just in the presence of a moron. Why worry about what a moron thinks/says?

ReputationRep:

Agree with the bold, was referring to that essentially when I said 'faux middle class outrage' or something earlier.

I can't see how you can equate a joke about your mum's cooking with a deeply racist word. If it's okay to say ****** in private then it's okay to say ****** on TV, and if it's okay to say ****** on TV then it's fine to say it in private as well.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with the bold, was referring to that essentially when I said 'faux middle class outrage' or something earlier.

I can't see how you can equate a joke about your mum's cooking with a deeply racist word. If it's okay to say ****** in private then it's okay to say ****** on TV, and if it's okay to say ****** on TV then it's fine to say it in private as well.
    Point I was making is that I've never understood the whole ''why can't white people say the n-word?'' thing. Basic social skills should indicate when something is clearly appropriate and when it's not, depending on in-group/out-group relationships. So if someone from my area tells me that ''we live in a proper ****-hole'' in jest that's immediately understood not to be an insult whereas anyone else saying the same might be assumed to be trying to insult me.

So as I say, I find it bizarre that anyone should draw conclusions about the offensiveness of the n-word based on what black people call each other. Which is what you were doing earlier.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 5, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.