Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I feel like I'm jumping on this bandwagon rather late but here goes. I'm going into a second year of an integrated masters in physics at Durham, dunno if this is a 'target' or not. I've not really considered anything to do with banking before. Recently have heard of spring weeks, which brings me to this thread. I want to know if anyone can reccomend me any reading material in preperation for applying, I am completely unfamiliar with the sector - so yeah ELI5. Got a first last year and 610 ucas points, so academics aren't too much of an issue - also I won a STEM scholarship last year from BP, if that's relevant. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the all the terminology etc, REALLY REALLY appreciate any help

thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Stacks)
    Got the confirmation too! Will see you lot there
    Don't know how some of you look like, so you'll have to make the initiations. :rolleyes:

#TSR Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glug)
    Hi everyone, I feel like I'm jumping on this bandwagon rather late but here goes. I'm going into a second year of an integrated masters in physics at Durham, dunno if this is a 'target' or not. I've not really considered anything to do with banking before. Recently have heard of spring weeks, which brings me to this thread. I want to know if anyone can reccomend me any reading material in preperation for applying, I am completely unfamiliar with the sector - so yeah ELI5. Got a first last year and 610 ucas points, so academics aren't too much of an issue - also I won a STEM scholarship last year from BP, if that's relevant. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the all the terminology etc, REALLY REALLY appreciate any help

thanks in advance.
    http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/...eek-part-i.63/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glug)

thanks in advance.
    With regards to reading material to help with understanding technical terms and concepts I recommend the following resources:

Investopedia
    Mergers & Inquisitions
    The E Financial Careers Guide
    The Goldman Sachs Capital Markets Guide
    Goldman Sachs Overview of Divisions
    The J.P. Morgan Jargon Buster
    Market Place Videos
    Money Week Videos
    Khan Academy

With regards to the Spring Weeks application process:

Durham isn't a target but is the next best thing essentially, in terms of university clout.

ReputationRep:
    How smartly dressed are you guys going for Bright Network? Only attending the afternoon session.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    How smartly dressed are you guys going for Bright Network? Only attending the afternoon session.
    Likewise, most probably a suit jacket and tie. Don't think much is expected.. after all it's nothing major. Should probably go in with something you would wear for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    I just received the CS confirmation and I'm only in for the afternoon at the Bright Network event, who else is in the same boat as me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai)
    I just received the CS confirmation and I'm only in for the afternoon at the Bright Network event, who else is in the same boat as me?
    Likewise. The tickets for the morning sesh have gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Likewise. The tickets for the morning sesh have gone.
    Ah man, I was limited with time this summer.

How comes you're not going to the morning session? Oh and congrats on your new position with the recruitment company!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai)
    Ah man, I was limited with time this summer.

How comes you're not going to the morning session? Oh and congrats on your new position with the recruitment company!
    By the time I even found out what Bright Network was, it was too late.

ReputationRep:
    By the time I even found out what Bright Network was, it was too late.

np:rolleyes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    I'm going suited and booted for it, but mainly because that's what I feel comfortable wearing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be wearing jeans and a shirt. I want to feel comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Whats this steps to spring you guys speak of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun_Bear)
    Whats this steps to spring you guys speak of?
    I think it was an invite only event. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelion0)
    I'll be wearing jeans and a shirt. I want to feel comfortable.
    Is this for the bright network event?

You're networking with professionals, you want to look relatively presentable in a corporate fasion. You have some big names attending, make an exception for one day.

ReputationRep:
    what would everyone list their spring week preferences as? by firm from most preferable to least

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody fill me in on this spring week thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asddd)
    what would everyone list their spring week preferences as? by firm from most preferable to least
    Anyone that will take me, currently. I feel I don't have enough to leverage to be deciding what firm I prefer to go to, especially given I'm a non-target.

(Original post by Studyboy157)
    Can somebody fill me in on this spring week thing?
    Take a read:

ReputationRep:
    Is this for the bright network event?

You're networking with professionals, you want to look relatively presentable in a corporate fasion. You have some big names attending, make an exception for one day.
    oh right, thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.