The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Hi! I hope you don't mind me posting. Does anyone have any recommendations of medical books to read? I am in year 12 but would like to find an area that I am interested in :smile:
Original post by MYMA
Hi! I hope you don't mind me posting. Does anyone have any recommendations of medical books to read? I am in year 12 but would like to find an area that I am interested in :smile:

I would recommend anything by Atul Gawande, "Do No Harm" by Henry Marsh, and anything by Ben Goldacre :smile: also if you're feeling up to it, try "House of God". It's a bit dark but very entertaining if you're in the right mood for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MYMA

Yup as Jenni has stated definitely anything and everything by Atul Gawande, the emperor of all maladies was interesting and really well researched book on history of cancer.
Is it just me, or is anyone else finding abstract reasoning ridiculously hard when there's a whole load of shapes and lines in the boxes? I hate the UKCAT 😭😭😭
Original post by renren95
Is it just me, or is anyone else finding abstract reasoning ridiculously hard when there's a whole load of shapes and lines in the boxes? I hate the UKCAT 😭😭😭

Just flag anything overly complicated and come back to it. Also, if there is an overwhelming amount of information in the box (e.g. lines, too many shapes), then it should be a relatively simple pattern.

Lines: do they cross over? don't they? do they form closed sections or not? are they mostly horizontal or vertical, or diagonal?

Sometimes you get ones were there are, say, 9 shapes in a 3x3 grid. Usually there will be a moving pattern amongst the shapes, or more than one than the others, or a different shade or colour assigned to a particular shape.
Reply 645
Original post by renren95

Original post by MJK91
Just flag anything overly complicated and come back to it. Also, if there is an overwhelming amount of information in the box (e.g. lines, too many shapes), then it should be a relatively simple pattern.

Lines: do they cross over? don't they? do they form closed sections or not? are they mostly horizontal or vertical, or diagonal?

Sometimes you get ones were there are, say, 9 shapes in a 3x3 grid. Usually there will be a moving pattern amongst the shapes, or more than one than the others, or a different shade or colour assigned to a particular shape.

Alternately go with the "what a load of *******s" attitude that I approached it with and guess them all. Worked for me :tongue:
Thanks! I'll have to give it another go and think harder! If it fails I'll just go with am1992 and guess the lot 😂😂😂

Original post by MJK91

I've been trying to decide between Physio and GEM for the best part of a year and after a couple of weeks away from it all I think I'm going to apply for Physio and if I still really want to do medicine and it's still around as GEM, I'll apply in a few years (when I'm 30 :/). Anyone know of people doing med as a third degree? Feels like I'm making a crazy decision but in reality I don't think I'll get into GEM for a few years given my lack of work exp, lack of GAMSAT knowledge and my Arts degree so I may as well get a relevant degree (I know it's not necessary) and relevant knowledge over the next few years and have a career at the end of it (the most important thing!) in case GEM doesn't work out rather than spend 2/3 years working in min wage care roles, living with my parents and applying to GEM because if I don't get in within 3 years I'll be 30 with no career and living with my parents.

Mad, or sensible?

I've got until August for a GAMSAT refund anyway.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I've been trying to decide between Physio and GEM for the best part of a year and after a couple of weeks away from it all I think I'm going to apply for Physio and if I still really want to do medicine and it's still around as GEM, I'll apply in a few years (when I'm 30 :/). Anyone know of people doing med as a third degree? Feels like I'm making a crazy decision but in reality I don't think I'll get into GEM for a few years given my lack of work exp, lack of GAMSAT knowledge and my Arts degree so I may as well get a relevant degree (I know it's not necessary) and relevant knowledge over the next few years and have a career at the end of it (the most important thing!) in case GEM doesn't work out rather than spend 2/3 years working in min wage care roles, living with my parents and applying to GEM because if I don't get in within 3 years I'll be 30 with no career and living with my parents.

Mad, or sensible?

Just as an FYI, I'm starting a gem course in September with a classics degree, 6 months of St. John ambulance stuff and a week of shadowing consultants....hardly extensive but it's really more about what you get out of it than the time you've spent doing it.

Of course if you feel that you would enjoy Physio go ahead and do it, but it seems a bit odd to me to do Physio with a view to moving out of it into gem in a few years! Why not just go for gem now? Sit UKCAT and gamsat to give yourself the full 4 options and have a go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 649

Mad, or sensible?

I'm going in with a law degree (and a masters in international law, so technically med is my 3rd degree!) and no science background at all beyond GCSE biology! I just stuck to UKCAT and have started the pre-reading for med. now so I'm fairly up to scratch by September.

6 years in the Red Cross first aid and ambulance teams, bit of army medical contact (though I was infantry), HCA and shadowing are my background medical wise.

That said, if you're not 100% set on GEM it may not be the best option. At risk of sounding a bit of a pansy, medicine is generally a calling rather than a job choice in my view, especially for us mad 2nd/3rd degree lot! Depends whether its the lack of certainty at getting in that's putting you off or a lack of certainty as to whether it's the right career for you.

Appreciate that you don't want to apply forever but may as well apply once. If it doesn't work out then you can still go for physio - apply for it as your 5th choice on UCAS and send a separate PS; some unis let you do that.

Also, if you can afford a 3rd degree feel free to donate some money to the "let Alex eat" fund! As a Scot I don't get any student finance!

Mad, or sensible?

Physiotherapy is only slightly less harder to get into than graduate medicine. Do you think you have the necessary experience to look like the perfect physio candidate, because if you do you most likely will look like a good medical candidate as well. If you do get into the physio programme, you'll work alongside a lot of doctors and that will probably frustrate you. And that GAMSAT is done by people from totally non science backgrounds, and if they can do it and get a place for medicine then so can you. There were people at my St George's interview who studied English or Economics many years ago but still got to the interview stage, so I don't think you should let the difficulty of getting into the course turn you off.

I understand how difficult it is to be in limbo, working minimum wage jobs and not feeling you're going anywhere. But I don't believe you should settle either. In a few years GEM may not exist and you might regret not have applying. I would say get experience in both area's to really make your mind up, but I don't think getting physiotherapy or medical work experience is the easiest thing in your part of the world. Can I also point out, I've met lots of physio's and OT's who have really struggled to get a foot into the NHS once they qualify, sometimes they have to work privately or in similarly related jobs in the fitness world or healthcare. Allied professional work really depends on how the job market is doing.
Has anyone on here applied as a Biomedical Scientist to get onto a grad med course? I was considering getting my portfolio done whilst applying for GEM. Is there anyone out there that can advise?
Original post by Absorbaloff
Physiotherapy is only slightly less harder to get into than graduate medicine. Do you think you have the necessary experience to look like the perfect physio candidate, because if you do you most likely will look like a good medical candidate as well. If you do get into the physio programme, you'll work alongside a lot of doctors and that will probably frustrate you. And that GAMSAT is done by people from totally non science backgrounds, and if they can do it and get a place for medicine then so can you. There were people at my St George's interview who studied English or Economics many years ago but still got to the interview stage, so I don't think you should let the difficulty of getting into the course turn you off.

I understand how difficult it is to be in limbo, working minimum wage jobs and not feeling you're going anywhere. But I don't believe you should settle either. In a few years GEM may not exist and you might regret not have applying. I would say get experience in both area's to really make your mind up, but I don't think getting physiotherapy or medical work experience is the easiest thing in your part of the world. Can I also point out, I've met lots of physio's and OT's who have really struggled to get a foot into the NHS once they qualify, sometimes they have to work privately or in similarly related jobs in the fitness world or healthcare. Allied professional work really depends on how the job market is doing.

I started working in a well known hospital where there are a lot of physio graduates doing assistant or admin roles. They are also reducing the number of physio staff in accordance with cost measures. Think wisely.
Hi, on ucas..to apply for medicine..do I go on postgraduate apply?
as I will leave with a degree (biomedical science), therefore I no longer apply through undergraduate way right?
Original post by princess271
Hi, on ucas..to apply for medicine..do I go on postgraduate apply?
as I will leave with a degree (biomedical science), therefore I no longer apply through undergraduate way right?

GEM is still an undergraduate course, so you have to apply the usual way through UCAS, just make sure you select the 4 year courses, the course code is normally A101/A102 instead of A100 for 5 year medicine, but they're all listed in the same place.
Original post by Going_To_California
GEM is still an undergraduate course, so you have to apply the usual way through UCAS, just make sure you select the 4 year courses, the course code is normally A101/A102 instead of A100 for 5 year medicine, but they're all listed in the same place.

okay thanks, I am also going to apply for masters medical science in Newcastle, just in case I don't get into medicine.. would that be okay to apply the undergaduate way also? and are we not allowed to apply for the 5 year programme.
okay thanks, I am also going to apply for masters medical science in Newcastle, just in case I don't get into medicine.. would that be okay to apply the undergaduate way also? and are we not allowed to apply for the 5 year programme.

I'm not sure about the application for masters degrees, I think it may be done directly through universities?

You are allowed to apply for the 5 year courses, but there's no funding for tuition fees in years 1-4, so most people apply for GEM courses only, as the funding of a 5 year course is far from ideal.
does anyone know when our ucas application has to be sent of by?
Original post by Going_To_California
I'm not sure about the application for masters degrees, I think it may be done directly through universities?

You are allowed to apply for the 5 year courses, but there's no funding for tuition fees in years 1-4, so most people apply for GEM courses only, as the funding of a 5 year course is far from ideal.

Hmm, I though we could apply for a bursary to pay for the tuition fees?
Hmm, I though we could apply for a bursary to pay for the tuition fees?

There are no bursaries for the 5 year course, only a maintenance loan. You could apply to charities etc., but the funding they could offer is nowhere near the region of £36k. I got an alternative offer from King's, having applied for the GEM course, for the 5 year course, so I explored some of the funding on offer, but it is pretty minimal unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending