Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemBoss)
    Yeah wow your UKCAT score is really good do you have any tips? Did you use any courses? Im feeling a bit lost atm cos I'm not sure whether to do the GAMSAT or not.

Well yeah I heard that too that both King's and Barts are especially in favour if a high UKCAT and a score of 750+ almost certainly guarantee's an interview, do you think this is true?
    See above, but I just used Medify and the 600Q book and did practice tests.
    Difficult to say really, as it varies each year, but that's a pretty safe score I'd say!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm applying to 2016 GEM. Currently revising for gamsat, and have started the dreaded UCAS process. My details are as follows: 24 years old, first class degree, six years healthcare experience, academic and clinical development post grad. My top three choices are Nottingham, St George's and Swansea. I am not sitting the UKCAT as my a levels are shocking. My hobbies include stressing about the gamsat and eating ice cream but I don't think I can put that in my personal statement... Nice to meet you all.

ReputationRep:
    Hey entwined, thanks for that just out of interest, you mentioned your not doing the ukcat cause your a-levels weren't so good. As far as I know kings, QMUL, and Warwick all offer GEM programmes without considering a-levels, and use ukcat. Am I mistaken, or do you just prefer other unis/ have an aversion to the wonderful experience of ukcat (sarcasm )

ReputationRep:
    Hey testmed 😄 I do have a massive aversion to the UKCAT, it kind of makes me want to grate my face off (and that's just the practice book) haha! I am considering kings and Warwick but as I say...that UKCAT ...nope! I may sit it just to see how I'd fare, but I don't think it'd be a fantastic outcome.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! This maybe a silly question,but I wanted to confirm that when applying for medicine while on the final year of university, do you apply as an individual or as part of another organisation?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megatron94)
    Hi there! This maybe a silly question,but I wanted to confirm that when applying for medicine while on the final year of university, do you apply as an individual or as part of another organisation?

Thank You
    I'd say individual. Your uni aren't processing your UCAS form in the same why that schools are for their sixth years.

There's a thing on the final (I think) page of the form that allows you to put in your referee's details and the link for them to put their reference in gets sent to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicKetchup)
    I'd say individual. Your uni aren't processing your UCAS form in the same why that schools are for their sixth years.

There's a thing on the final (I think) page of the form that allows you to put in your referee's details and the link for them to put their reference in gets sent to them.
    Thank You, I was thinking individual but wanted to make sure... makes sense anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entwinedflames)
    Hey testmed 😄 I do have a massive aversion to the UKCAT, it kind of makes me want to grate my face off (and that's just the practice book) haha! I am considering kings and Warwick but as I say...that UKCAT ...nope! I may sit it just to see how I'd fare, but I don't think it'd be a fantastic outcome.
    haha! I dont think you're alone with those sentiments well, thanks for introducing yourself, and good luck if you do decide to sit it

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I hope you don't mind me posting. Does anyone have any recommendations of medical books to read? I am in year 12 but would like to find an area that I am interested in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MYMA)
    Hi! I hope you don't mind me posting. Does anyone have any recommendations of medical books to read? I am in year 12 but would like to find an area that I am interested in
    I would recommend anything by Atul Gawande, "Do No Harm" by Henry Marsh, and anything by Ben Goldacre also if you're feeling up to it, try "House of God". It's a bit dark but very entertaining if you're in the right mood for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MYMA)
    Yup as Jenni has stated definitely anything and everything by Atul Gawande, the emperor of all maladies was interesting and really well researched book on history of cancer.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or is anyone else finding abstract reasoning ridiculously hard when there's a whole load of shapes and lines in the boxes? I hate the UKCAT 😭😭😭

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renren95)
    Is it just me, or is anyone else finding abstract reasoning ridiculously hard when there's a whole load of shapes and lines in the boxes? I hate the UKCAT 😭😭😭
    Just flag anything overly complicated and come back to it. Also, if there is an overwhelming amount of information in the box (e.g. lines, too many shapes), then it should be a relatively simple pattern.

Lines: do they cross over? don't they? do they form closed sections or not? are they mostly horizontal or vertical, or diagonal?

Sometimes you get ones were there are, say, 9 shapes in a 3x3 grid. Usually there will be a moving pattern amongst the shapes, or more than one than the others, or a different shade or colour assigned to a particular shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by renren95)
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Just flag anything overly complicated and come back to it. Also, if there is an overwhelming amount of information in the box (e.g. lines, too many shapes), then it should be a relatively simple pattern.

Lines: do they cross over? don't they? do they form closed sections or not? are they mostly horizontal or vertical, or diagonal?

Sometimes you get ones were there are, say, 9 shapes in a 3x3 grid. Usually there will be a moving pattern amongst the shapes, or more than one than the others, or a different shade or colour assigned to a particular shape.
    Alternately go with the "what a load of *******s" attitude that I approached it with and guess them all. Worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'll have to give it another go and think harder! If it fails I'll just go with am1992 and guess the lot 😂😂😂

(Original post by MJK91)

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to decide between Physio and GEM for the best part of a year and after a couple of weeks away from it all I think I'm going to apply for Physio and if I still really want to do medicine and it's still around as GEM, I'll apply in a few years (when I'm 30 :/). Anyone know of people doing med as a third degree? Feels like I'm making a crazy decision but in reality I don't think I'll get into GEM for a few years given my lack of work exp, lack of GAMSAT knowledge and my Arts degree so I may as well get a relevant degree (I know it's not necessary) and relevant knowledge over the next few years and have a career at the end of it (the most important thing!) in case GEM doesn't work out rather than spend 2/3 years working in min wage care roles, living with my parents and applying to GEM because if I don't get in within 3 years I'll be 30 with no career and living with my parents.

Mad, or sensible?

I've got until August for a GAMSAT refund anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I've been trying to decide between Physio and GEM for the best part of a year and after a couple of weeks away from it all I think I'm going to apply for Physio and if I still really want to do medicine and it's still around as GEM, I'll apply in a few years (when I'm 30 :/). Anyone know of people doing med as a third degree? Feels like I'm making a crazy decision but in reality I don't think I'll get into GEM for a few years given my lack of work exp, lack of GAMSAT knowledge and my Arts degree so I may as well get a relevant degree (I know it's not necessary) and relevant knowledge over the next few years and have a career at the end of it (the most important thing!) in case GEM doesn't work out rather than spend 2/3 years working in min wage care roles, living with my parents and applying to GEM because if I don't get in within 3 years I'll be 30 with no career and living with my parents.

Mad, or sensible?

Just as an FYI, I'm starting a gem course in September with a classics degree, 6 months of St. John ambulance stuff and a week of shadowing consultants....hardly extensive but it's really more about what you get out of it than the time you've spent doing it.

Of course if you feel that you would enjoy Physio go ahead and do it, but it seems a bit odd to me to do Physio with a view to moving out of it into gem in a few years! Why not just go for gem now? Sit UKCAT and gamsat to give yourself the full 4 options and have a go!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Mad, or sensible?

I'm going in with a law degree (and a masters in international law, so technically med is my 3rd degree!) and no science background at all beyond GCSE biology! I just stuck to UKCAT and have started the pre-reading for med. now so I'm fairly up to scratch by September.

6 years in the Red Cross first aid and ambulance teams, bit of army medical contact (though I was infantry), HCA and shadowing are my background medical wise.

That said, if you're not 100% set on GEM it may not be the best option. At risk of sounding a bit of a pansy, medicine is generally a calling rather than a job choice in my view, especially for us mad 2nd/3rd degree lot! Depends whether its the lack of certainty at getting in that's putting you off or a lack of certainty as to whether it's the right career for you.

Appreciate that you don't want to apply forever but may as well apply once. If it doesn't work out then you can still go for physio - apply for it as your 5th choice on UCAS and send a separate PS; some unis let you do that.

Also, if you can afford a 3rd degree feel free to donate some money to the "let Alex eat" fund! As a Scot I don't get any student finance!

ReputationRep:

Mad, or sensible?

Physiotherapy is only slightly less harder to get into than graduate medicine. Do you think you have the necessary experience to look like the perfect physio candidate, because if you do you most likely will look like a good medical candidate as well. If you do get into the physio programme, you'll work alongside a lot of doctors and that will probably frustrate you. And that GAMSAT is done by people from totally non science backgrounds, and if they can do it and get a place for medicine then so can you. There were people at my St George's interview who studied English or Economics many years ago but still got to the interview stage, so I don't think you should let the difficulty of getting into the course turn you off.

I understand how difficult it is to be in limbo, working minimum wage jobs and not feeling you're going anywhere. But I don't believe you should settle either. In a few years GEM may not exist and you might regret not have applying. I would say get experience in both area's to really make your mind up, but I don't think getting physiotherapy or medical work experience is the easiest thing in your part of the world. Can I also point out, I've met lots of physio's and OT's who have really struggled to get a foot into the NHS once they qualify, sometimes they have to work privately or in similarly related jobs in the fitness world or healthcare. Allied professional work really depends on how the job market is doing.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone on here applied as a Biomedical Scientist to get onto a grad med course? I was considering getting my portfolio done whilst applying for GEM. Is there anyone out there that can advise?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.