Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

American Football Talk II watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Patrick Willis and Justin Smith, are apparently retiring. Justin Smith wasn't that much of a shock, but Patrick Willis retiring was...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ire-on-tuesday

ReputationRep:
    Every day, that deal for Doug Free looks better and better. Derek Newton and Jermey Parnell are getting much more than him. Oh dear, Texans and Jaguars. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, looks like Paea's off to the Redskins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    So I've ended up drifting away from the Patriots since I can't seem to really stick with an NFL team. It's like I try to throw my support behind one and then lose interest in them.

Really frustrating since I want to start the next NFL season as my first full one with a team to support the whole way, not joining halfway through the season
    I think it's perfectly fine to support different teams in different seasons so long as you don't try to claim to be a life long fan or whatever. Try to find players you like, the draft class is getting a lot of attention this time of year. I followed the Jets this last season because I find Geno Smith very interesting. I don't know who I will follow next year but I have a long time to decide. Maybe Buffalo.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    I think it's perfectly fine to support different teams in different seasons so long as you don't try to claim to be a life long fan or whatever. Try to find players you like, the draft class is getting a lot of attention this time of year. I followed the Jets this last season because I find Geno Smith very interesting. I don't know who I will follow next year but I have a long time to decide. Maybe Buffalo.
    It's not so much that, I'd like to be a lifelong fan for sure. This upcoming season will be the first one from start to finish I watch as a fan of the sport, but I can't seem to stick to a team before they don't really resonate with me.

I just don't know how to go about finding that team to call my own

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    It's not so much that, I'd like to be a lifelong fan for sure. This upcoming season will be the first one from start to finish I watch as a fan of the sport, but I can't seem to stick to a team before they don't really resonate with me.

I just don't know how to go about finding that team to call my own
    I went to see a game. And it was cowboys jaguars. I decided cowboys are cooler. Chose them. Bought stuff. Then started following.

Then due to my support they made the playoffs for the first time in years and narrowly missed out on progressing more by a very unlucky not quite there catch.

I find it hard to follow the game in this country in terms of gossip, rumours etc. What's happening with cowboys? Heard we were losing Murray and Bryant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are losing Bryant. He is getting tagged with a deal that compels the Cowboys to accept some deal where any team can trade two first rounders for him or something. Very few of those deals actually get invoked because nobody wants to mortgage their future for an expensive veteran who isn't a QB. Murray is out the door though I think.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't fret too much over the loss of Murray. He's made of glass and is looking for a payday which would be too much for the cowboys. He's also fumble prone. Good, but not elite, and not worth even McCoy money.

As it stands, the Cowboys are exactly where they need to be regarding the cap...under...but not by much. I can see Romo taking yet another restructure. Sean Lee, could be designated a post June 1st cut, saving $2.5m against this year's cap. It would affect next year's cap, but it then becomes a much more workable situation. Take away Dez Bryant's BIG contract next year, and aco*****ng for two year's of draft classes, and the Cowboys should still have $12m. They don't have many free agents next season.

Back to this season, keeping McClain (at a now vet-min price, due to his issues) and Justin Durant isa much better options. RBs are a dime a dozen in this draft, and they could get Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi in the second.

ReputationRep:
    Memo sent to all NFL teams to stop agreeing and then leaking deals in the negotiation only period. NFL.com still reporting the leaks, clearly this rule needs looking at, I think if you're going to have this three days it should only be for a declaration of interest whereby you ring up an agent and go I want this guy, talk to me in 3 days or it should just not exist at all.

By the way, anyone know who the O-Lineman that the Jags have apparently signed is? I have no idea but in all fairness O-Lineman are not really my area. Are they anyones? O-Lineman are just really tall, predominantly white guys with no muscle tone who occasionally actually look obese.

ReputationRep:
    Wow a 49ers team without Gore, J.smith and Willis is just wrong :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Long & Wells released by the Rams.

I have to think we'll be making a play for a big name in free agency now. Barrett Jones @ Center and go for Iupati/Carpenter? Or go straight for Wisniewski?

Edit - Oh ****, forgot we still had Rodger Saffold!

In that case, I'd very much like an O-Line of Peat - Robinson - Wisniewski - Jones - Saffold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammy4041)
    I wouldn't fret too much over the loss of Murray. He's made of glass and is looking for a payday which would be too much for the cowboys. He's also fumble prone. Good, but not elite, and not worth even McCoy money.

As it stands, the Cowboys are exactly where they need to be regarding the cap...under...but not by much. I can see Romo taking yet another restructure. Sean Lee, could be designated a post June 1st cut, saving $2.5m against this year's cap. It would affect next year's cap, but it then becomes a much more workable situation. Take away Dez Bryant's BIG contract next year, and aco*****ng for two year's of draft classes, and the Cowboys should still have $12m. They don't have many free agents next season.

Back to this season, keeping McClain (at a now vet-min price, due to his issues) and Justin Durant isa much better options. RBs are a dime a dozen in this draft, and they could get Tevin Coleman, Jay Ajayi in the second.
    Thanks, is there a small guide to the cap anywhere as well. Not sure I fully understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    Long & Wells released by the Rams.

I have to think we'll be making a play for a big name in free agency now. Barrett Jones @ Center and go for Iupati/Carpenter? Or go straight for Wisniewski?

Edit - Oh ****, forgot we still had Rodger Saffold!

In that case, I'd very much like an O-Line of Peat - Robinson - Wisniewski - Jones - Saffold
    Iupati is going to the Cards by the looks of it. And I'd love to get Wisniewski in Seattle so pls don't sign him 😊

Thomas going to the Jags. Can see him doing alright there (though overpaid). I'd say they should take a blocky tight end (Zach Miller seems like the incredibly obvious choice) to complement Thomas'... "adequate" blocking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Memo sent to all NFL teams to stop agreeing and then leaking deals in the negotiation only period. NFL.com still reporting the leaks, clearly this rule needs looking at, I think if you're going to have this three days it should only be for a declaration of interest whereby you ring up an agent and go I want this guy, talk to me in 3 days or it should just not exist at all.

By the way, anyone know who the O-Lineman that the Jags have apparently signed is? I have no idea but in all fairness O-Lineman are not really my area. Are they anyones? O-Lineman are just really tall, predominantly white guys with no muscle tone who occasionally actually look obese.
    The Jags made an absolute hash of free agency, again.

OT Jermey Parnell (5 years, $32M; $13M guaranteed): a career backup to Doug Free, who got 3 years, $15M; $6M guaranteed from the Cowboys. He has talent, but it is telling that the Cowboys let him walk. He plays RT.

OLB Dan Skuta (5 years, $20.5 million): another career backup, who did okay for the 49ers, but is seriously be paid.

Also, the engine of any offense is the offensive line. They have to open up holes for the running backs, and give the QB enough time to throw, without being sacked. The longer that they can protect the QB, deeper routes would be available on the WR tree, which stretches defenses.

O-line isn't a sexy position, but it's the most important offensive group. LT is every bit as important, if not more, than finding a QB.

I see parallels with Atlanta, and their complete dearth of pass rushing talent. They have been in a desert, and they are willing to overpay for any pass-rusher with 6.0 sacks or more. Jaguars will overpay for any o-lineman (Zane Beadles, last year, cough cough) because their o-line is trash.

Luke Joekel will need to start making good on his college potential at LT. Zane Beadles is a servicable LG, but nothing more (would be an elite backup, but doesn't deserve $6M a year, when Iupati will get about $7-8M a year). As evidenced by Jacksonville's moribund running game, they need some upgrades at guards.

O-linemen generally struggle in their first few years, but their the smartest people on the field (by wonderlic), and they usually get it right eventually. Joekel should make the step up this year. Absolute stud at Texas A&M. (Jake Matthews should also get it right).

If those 'fat white guys' protect your QB, it's good. D-line, is obviously more athletic, but o-line has to win with their power and smarts.

A lot of NFL teams are moving to a Zone blocking scheme (for run-blocking, not pass protection which would still be the same), and that requires intelligence and good footwork. The common misconception with the ZBS is that big o-linemen are not a fit, and that smaller is more ideal, and that's flat out wrong. If a 320lb RT has much better feet than a 305lb lineman, you go with the 320lb RT, even in a zone-block scheme. (Pointed reference to Franklin soon being a Charger :mad: )

If I'm Jacksonville, I'm seriously considering Justin Blalock who was released by the Falcons (who are also moving to a zone block scheme, so he wasn't a good fit), and a FA center. But, only for the right price. Then, I'd be looking at drafting maybe Cameron Erving out of FSU to be the C/G of the future.

ReputationRep:
    HAPPY NEW NFL YEAR EVERYONE!!!

(Original post by Motorbiker)
    Thanks, is there a small guide to the cap anywhere as well. Not sure I fully understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure, I use OverTheCap.com for my cap projections. They're usually pretty good.

There's this guide which is pretty good as well. http://overthecap.com/a-guide-to-the-nfl-salary-cap/

The cap is projected to be about $143M.

It is important to consider that by 1600 EST, today, all teams have to be below the cap. They can then go above the cap, but when the rosters are trimmed to the final 53, at the end of the season, they have to again be under the cap. It takes about $6M to sign all the draftees, and they too count against this year's cap, on a sliding scale with first rounders costing more, seventh rounders and UDFA's the least.

ReputationRep:
    The Jaguars are intent on seriously screwing up free agency. Devon House, at an outrageous $6.25m per year. Decent corner, but that's all. Way too much for another boom and bust prospect. (sound familiar?)

I mean, Antonio Cromartie wouldn't have cost too much more, and he's a muuuuuuuuuch better cornerback.

This is Chris Harris Jr's contract, for reference.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Wow a 49ers team without Gore, J.smith and Willis is just wrong :sad:
    Seriously, it's just so so so wrong. Saying that, Bowman will step up and captain the defence though. There's still Aldon Smith, Bowman, Borland, Joe Staley, Antoine Bethea, Eric Reid.. 49ers still have a formidable defence. <-- Me trying not to get too down about it all.

In other news, Bruce Miller was also arrested on suspicion of Spousal Battery yesterday (allegedly pushed his girlfriend out of a car). That could be an even bigger loss, the 9ers were like 6-1 with him last year and 1-6 without or something ridiculous like that.

All in all though, the nfl scouts put it perfectly, saying it's very fortunate that there's a whole group of young talented players that the 49ers get to choose from very shortly.

last of all... the loss of Iupati worries me most given that we're reverting to more of a run game this season (per Tomsula's conference). He was intrinsic to our running game last year.

ReputationRep:
    ****ty ****! Not sure about this trade

ReputationRep:
    Someone needs to get a hold of Dave Caldwell and tell him to chill the **** out, he's paying out crazy money left right and centre. How the **** are we paying the Cowboys swing tackle more than they're paying their right tackle!?

ReputationRep:
    Ngata, Unger, Graham, Foles, Bradford all just switched teams what is this

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.