Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

LNAT Results 2015 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jenkinsear.
    I also received an offer from Durham for Criminology on one of their referred courses (rejected for Law). Do you think it would be crazy to accept that rather that Law at Bristol or Exeter and then consider doing a Law conversion, if I still wanted to do Law? I am more interested in doing Law for the academic investigation and training rather that necessarily becoming a lawyer.

(Original post by jenkinsear)
    I'd avoid Nottingham- they traditionally dish out way more 2.2's for law than the other universities you mention. A 2.2 is basically a real real impediment in getting jobs, so for that reason alone I would personally be wary of Nottingham as a choice.

As for Bristol vs Exeter I don't think there's much difference really. Bristol probably has the better reputation as an overall University, but Exeter's law school is quite well regarded. Have you visited them both? A common criticism of Exeter is that the City is a bit dull, whilst Bristol obviously is a very studenty City, so perhaps that may be a way of deciding between them? Whichever you pick I wouldn't say either is a bad decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kewbacca)
    Has anyone with an offer from Kings received a Dickson poon scholarship?

yea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alisonthomson)
    Hi Jenkinsear.
    I also received an offer from Durham for Criminology on one of their referred courses (rejected for Law). Do you think it would be crazy to accept that rather that Law at Bristol or Exeter and then consider doing a Law conversion, if I still wanted to do Law? I am more interested in doing Law for the academic investigation and training rather that necessarily becoming a lawyer.
    In my opinion, no, because you seem to value prestige rather than the subject itself here (since you applied for law everywhere). Bristol (and Exeter, but personally to a lesser extent) boasts a very good law school, and you definitely won't miss out by going there. If you believe you'll like criminology, then definitely go ahead and accept Durham... That's up to you. But in any case, the reputation difference between Durham and Bristol for Law is pretty small, so don't base your decision on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got a 38 on my LNAT applying from the U.S. and I'm still waiting on KCL (received offers from QMUL and Edinburgh both for Law and St. Andrews for IR/Econ) does anyone else think this is weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theraininrennes)
    I got a 38 on my LNAT applying from the U.S. and I'm still waiting on KCL (received offers from QMUL and Edinburgh both for Law and St. Andrews for IR/Econ) does anyone else think this is weird?

That you got a 38? Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binarythoughts)
    yea
    Whats the dicksoon poon scholarship and what requirments are needed to get one?

ReputationRep:
    That you got a 38? Yes
    That's what it said in the email. I still think they screwed it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theraininrennes)
    That's what it said in the email. I still think they screwed it up.

It's a great score, you should be proud of it
    What are your other choices?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miladrises)
    Whats the dicksoon poon scholarship and what requirments are needed to get one?

Having achieved either 8A*s at GCSE/IGCSE or A*A*A at A level

ReputationRep:
    It's a great score, you should be proud of it
    What are your other choices?
    Those are them: QMUL, Edinburgh, and St. Andrews (for IR though since they don't have a Law program[me])

((I should add that this is in the U.K. Back home I've applied to Wellesley, Smith, Princeton, Dartmouth, McGill, and Yale))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alisonthomson)
    Hi Jenkinsear.
    Yes, you would be crazy in my view. The law conversion is a longer, more expensive (and arguably dull/painful) route that will cover only the bare basics for practice, rather than the more academic and broader (in the sense that you can study non-core areas like family or criminology or medical law for instance which you cannot do on the law conversion course) exposure you'd get from doing a law degree.

A lot of people do a law degree simply because they want to do an academic, interesting course and then opt not to go into law- it's by no means a wasted use of 3 years, the skills it teaches really are very transferable. There is nothing preventing you doing a masters in Criminology afterwards if you decide you want to go down that career path; I know several people who have done this, and none regret studying law first.

As a side note, a law degree will get you far more respect/credibility with potential employers (whatever area you ultimately do opt for) than a criminology one.

I have no hesitation in strongly encouraging you to take the offer from Bristol or Exeter for law.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you would be crazy in my view. The law conversion is a longer, more expensive (and arguably dull/painful) route that will cover only the bare basics for practice, rather than the more academic and broader (in the sense that you can study non-core areas like family or criminology or medical ladw for instance which you cannot do on the law conversion course) exposure you'd get from doing a law degree.

A lot of people do a law degree simply because they want to do an academic, interesting course and then opt not to go into law- it's by no means a wasted use of 3 years, the skills it teaches really are very transferable. There is nothing preventing you doing a masters in Criminology afterwards if you decide you want to go down that career path; I know several people who have done this, and none regret studying law first.

As a side note, a law degree will get you far more respect/credibility with potential employers (whatever area you ultimately do opt for) than a criminology one.

I have no hesitation in strongly encouraging you to take the offer from Bristol or Exeter for law.
    I agree with jenkinsear, Alison.😀

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks Jenkinsear for your considered and valued reply.

Yes, you would be crazy in my view. The law conversion is a longer, more expensive (and arguably dull/painful) route that will cover only the bare basics for practice, rather than the more academic and broader (in the sense that you can study non-core areas like family or criminology or medical law for instance which you cannot do on the law conversion course) exposure you'd get from doing a law degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply Stefan - it is very much appreciated.
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    In my opinion, no, because you seem to value prestige rather than the subject itself here (since you applied for law everywhere). Bristol (and Exeter, but personally to a lesser extent) boasts a very good law school, and you definitely won't miss out by going there. If you believe you'll like criminology, then definitely go ahead and accept Durham... That's up to you. But in any case, the reputation difference between Durham and Bristol for Law is pretty small, so don't base your decision on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellofello)
    Sorry to hear about your rejection. Just wondering - did King's specify that your LNAT result was the reason why they rejected you?
    Hey. Yes they did. Have you heard back yet?

ReputationRep:
    lucked out- got 21/42 (avg. 22.3 ((( ) in my LNAT and i received an offer from nottingham
    i knew i didnt do very well thats why i only applied to 1 LNAT uni :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tia777)
    Hey. Yes they did. Have you heard back yet?
    Yeah, I did get an offer from King's. I think my LNAT essay was quite poor though and I'm really lucky that King's considered me. I was rejected from UCL who put more importance in the essay.

How are your decisions coming along otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    Having sent my LNAT result to Exeter, they gave me an ofer. I don't know if it's because of this but still I would recommend to do this if you had a good score

ReputationRep:
    Offers from UCL, Durham, Warwick and QMUL. Got 24 in LNAT.

Thinking UCL will be firmed

ReputationRep:
    Still waiting for replies from ucl and kcl… The wait is killing me!

I took A-levels and since the results are out, would the universities be looking at the actual results or would they just stick to the predicted grades while viewing our applications??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.