St George's
    5.57%
    Other
    25.80%
    I dont know :')
    4.13%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FairyLiquid11)
    Hi, I was wondering whether anyone would be willing to give me some advice on whether I have a realistic chance of applying for Medicine for 2017 entry?

- My GCSE grades are 8 A*s, 1 A (in French), and two B's (both in Maths)

- My AS-Levels results are AAABB (A's in Biology, History and Religious Studies; B's in Chemistry and Critical Thinking -- although I know this particular subject wouldn't be considered as part of an offer) I'm currently trying to write my EPQ, and am hoping to work hard enough for a top grade.

- My UKCAT score was really poor, unfortunately! I wouldn't recommend taking the exam on results day, if you can help it. My average across the three assessed units was 616.6

- I have a weeks worth of working experience in the Outpatient's department at a local hospital, and a further week lined up in October at a private hospital.

- Since December, I've been volunteering in an elderly care ward at the same hospital in which I undertook my work experience placement (I really recommend trying to volunteer at a hospital to anyone; I've found it incredibly useful in determining my decision to pursue Medicine) I recently volunteered for a week at a respite centre for people with disabilities and their carers (honestly, the best D-of-E residential imaginable!)

- I volunteer at a Red Cross Charity shop (till-work and stock prep, etc.) and I'm a Cadet with SJA. I also raised money to travel to Cambodia for a month last summer, and undertook project work and a jungle/mountain trek there (a bit random, I know! But if you have the opportunity to do something like this, with a travel company, then definitely go for it -- it's incredibly rewarding!!)

I kind of fear the answer, but I know my application isn't really competitive enough at the moment for Medicine. Would those who have been accepted, or have had experience with admissions for Medicine, recommend I take a gap year and try to get really strong A-Level results, instead, as the most sensible option?

Thanks!
    Don't take a gap year, your profile is good. It's just you need to find what medical schools would favour you. I would suggest finding schools that do not consider the UKCAT too much and whether or not you'd be up for doing the BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irukandji5)
    Hi, I'm applying too with choices of BSMS, UCL, Aberdeen and Leicester (too low at UKCAT for sheffield but ah well )
    Hey! Nice choices! Waaiitttt what is the UKCAT cut off for Sheffield then and what did you get? Now I'm worried :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Really? I got UMS marks for WJEC and I'm taking reformed AS Levels. How strange.
    Ah, are you Welsh? I think things may be different in Wales to England.

ReputationRep:
    I was actually thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would you guys be interested?

ReputationRep:
    4A*s in chemistry biology physics and history and a B at AS French
    6A*s and 6A's in my GCSEs. I've got an offer from Barts but have deferred to see if I can get better offers next year. Where can I apply? I'm aiming for Oxbridge and UCL

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.

I am currently a sixth year student in Scotland. I am intending to apply to Edinburgh, St Andrews, Dundee and Aberdeen this year. I have just gotten AAAAB in my Highers and a score of 2150 in my UKCAT (650VR, 780QR and 720AR) and Situational Judgement Band 2. I have done around 1-2 weeks of work experience and am currently studying Advanced Higher Chemistry, Maths and French, and Higher Biology.

I am wondering whether or not I have a decent chance of getting in to any of these Universities (Top choice - Edinburgh) and if my UKCAT score is good.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Have a look at sheffield, QUB, birmingham, bristol.

Also look at BSMS, leeds, UCL (your grades are great), lancaster for BMAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your help! I have had a look at most of these universities, and I do like the course structures -- so that's a plus

My top choice would be Cardiff though, do you think it would be worth applying there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Don't take a gap year, your profile is good. It's just you need to find what medical schools would favour you. I would suggest finding schools that do not consider the UKCAT too much and whether or not you'd be up for doing the BMAT.
    Okay, thank you I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of attempting the BMAT, but not as nervous as I was with the UKCAT!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of attempting the BMAT, but not as nervous as I was with the UKCAT!
    The good thing about the BMAT is that there are seemingly more free resources(compared to the UKCAT). On their website, there is a free digital book on all the science you need for section 2, as well as past papers and mark schemes ranging from 2003-2015. Take advantage of these, they're really useful.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you for your help! I have had a look at most of these universities, and I do like the course structures -- so that's a plus

My top choice would be Cardiff though, do you think it would be worth applying there?
    Looking at your academics I think you would score 25/27 on the GCSE scoring system, so it would be a risky application as last year and the year before the cut off for an interview was 26/27.

The scoring system works like this:
    A*=3 points, A=2 points B=1 point, best 9 GCSEs which must include english, maths and the three sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewishier)
    I was actually thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would you guys be interested?
    Definitely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely up for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Yup, the plan is still to apply to Barts. I'm planning to apply to ones that will not look at AS levels and rather focus more on predicted grades. Do you know what your on track to be predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait I didn't know some med schools look at AS grades, could you tell me what they are? Because now I need to avoid those with my results.

No, not yet, but my college has a system where they just predict you the grade above and if you ask them to change it, they do so without batting an eyelid. So I could get myself predicted A*A*A* lmao

Wbu? Have you been given them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Wait I didn't know some med schools look at AS grades, could you tell me what they are? Because now I need to avoid those with my results.

No, not yet, but my college has a system where they just predict you the grade above and if you ask them to change it, they do so without batting an eyelid. So I could get myself predicted A*A*A* lmao

Wbu? Have you been given them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have a look at this site
    https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...ls-2017-entry/

And yes, that is usually the same for myself, just need to ask for the predictions, so A*A*A is on the cards at least. Have you done the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipanda99)
    Have a look at this site
    https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...ls-2017-entry/

And yes, that is usually the same for myself, just need to ask for the predictions, so A*A*A is on the cards at least. Have you done the UKCAT?
    Thanks for the link! And woo, that means more points for the UCAS Tariff. No not yet, I've booked it for 17th September, Wbu?

Are you planning on doing the EPQ or an extra AS Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Thanks for the link! And woo, that means more points for the UCAS Tariff. No not yet, I've booked it for 17th September, Wbu?

Are you planning on doing the EPQ or an extra AS Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My school doesn't offer EPQ, but ai may go and carry on with 4 A levels - not set in stone but its just a thought. What about you? I'm doing the UKCAT on the 5th.

May I ask what your stats are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinls2)
    Hey! Nice choices! Waaiitttt what is the UKCAT cut off for Sheffield then and what did you get? Now I'm worried :'
    Hey, yeah i did my UKCAT on results day (would not recommend) and got 616.6 which is 1850. Sheffield says their cutoff this year is 1850/2700 so since I literally just scrape it figured not worth it as wouldn't get an interview

ReputationRep:
    Yup!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irukandji5)
    Hey, yeah i did my UKCAT on results day (would not recommend) and got 616.6 which is 1850. Sheffield says their cutoff this year is 1850/2700 so since I literally just scrape it figured not worth it as wouldn't get an interview
    Ah ok, that's a shame :/ I got 713, do you think that'll be enough?

ReputationRep:
    Applied for 2016 entry and got in, let me tell you all I don't envy what you guys are about to go through at all :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2017
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.