The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Irukandji5
Hi, I'm applying too with choices of BSMS, UCL, Aberdeen and Leicester :smile: (too low at UKCAT for sheffield but ah well :frown:)

Hey! Nice choices! Waaiitttt what is the UKCAT cut off for Sheffield then and what did you get? Now I'm worried :')
Reply 641
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Really? I got UMS marks for WJEC and I'm taking reformed AS Levels. How strange.

Ah, are you Welsh? I think things may be different in Wales to England.
I was actually thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would you guys be interested?
4A*s in chemistry biology physics and history and a B at AS French
6A*s and 6A's in my GCSEs. I've got an offer from Barts but have deferred to see if I can get better offers next year. Where can I apply? I'm aiming for Oxbridge and UCL
Reply 644
Hello all.

I am currently a sixth year student in Scotland. I am intending to apply to Edinburgh, St Andrews, Dundee and Aberdeen this year. I have just gotten AAAAB in my Highers and a score of 2150 in my UKCAT (650VR, 780QR and 720AR) and Situational Judgement Band 2. I have done around 1-2 weeks of work experience and am currently studying Advanced Higher Chemistry, Maths and French, and Higher Biology.

I am wondering whether or not I have a decent chance of getting in to any of these Universities (Top choice - Edinburgh) and if my UKCAT score is good.

Any help or advice is appreciated!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Natalierm2707
Have a look at sheffield, QUB, birmingham, bristol.

Also look at BSMS, leeds, UCL (your grades are great), lancaster for BMAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your help! I have had a look at most of these universities, and I do like the course structures -- so that's a plus :smile:

My top choice would be Cardiff though, do you think it would be worth applying there?
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Don't take a gap year, your profile is good. It's just you need to find what medical schools would favour you. I would suggest finding schools that do not consider the UKCAT too much and whether or not you'd be up for doing the BMAT.

Okay, thank you :smile: I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of attempting the BMAT, but not as nervous as I was with the UKCAT!
Original post by FairyLiquid11
Okay, thank you :smile: I'm pretty nervous about the prospect of attempting the BMAT, but not as nervous as I was with the UKCAT!

The good thing about the BMAT is that there are seemingly more free resources(compared to the UKCAT). On their website, there is a free digital book on all the science you need for section 2, as well as past papers and mark schemes ranging from 2003-2015. Take advantage of these, they're really useful.
Original post by FairyLiquid11
Thank you for your help! I have had a look at most of these universities, and I do like the course structures -- so that's a plus :smile:

My top choice would be Cardiff though, do you think it would be worth applying there?

Looking at your academics I think you would score 25/27 on the GCSE scoring system, so it would be a risky application as last year and the year before the cut off for an interview was 26/27.

The scoring system works like this:
A*=3 points, A=2 points B=1 point, best 9 GCSEs which must include english, maths and the three sciences.
Original post by Lewishier
I was actually thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would you guys be interested?

Definitely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm definitely up for it :biggrin:
Original post by ipanda99
Yup, the plan is still to apply to Barts. I'm planning to apply to ones that will not look at AS levels and rather focus more on predicted grades. Do you know what your on track to be predicted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait I didn't know some med schools look at AS grades, could you tell me what they are? Because now I need to avoid those with my results.

No, not yet, but my college has a system where they just predict you the grade above and if you ask them to change it, they do so without batting an eyelid. So I could get myself predicted A*A*A* lmao

Wbu? Have you been given them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Wait I didn't know some med schools look at AS grades, could you tell me what they are? Because now I need to avoid those with my results.

No, not yet, but my college has a system where they just predict you the grade above and if you ask them to change it, they do so without batting an eyelid. So I could get myself predicted A*A*A* lmao

Wbu? Have you been given them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have a look at this site
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/

And yes, that is usually the same for myself, just need to ask for the predictions, so A*A*A is on the cards at least. Have you done the UKCAT?
Original post by ipanda99
Have a look at this site
https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-as-levels-2017-entry/

And yes, that is usually the same for myself, just need to ask for the predictions, so A*A*A is on the cards at least. Have you done the UKCAT?

Thanks for the link! And woo, that means more points for the UCAS Tariff. No not yet, I've booked it for 17th September, Wbu?

Are you planning on doing the EPQ or an extra AS Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Thanks for the link! And woo, that means more points for the UCAS Tariff. No not yet, I've booked it for 17th September, Wbu?

Are you planning on doing the EPQ or an extra AS Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school doesn't offer EPQ, but ai may go and carry on with 4 A levels - not set in stone but its just a thought. What about you? I'm doing the UKCAT on the 5th.

May I ask what your stats are?
Original post by erinls2
Hey! Nice choices! Waaiitttt what is the UKCAT cut off for Sheffield then and what did you get? Now I'm worried :':wink:

Hey, yeah i did my UKCAT on results day (would not recommend) and got 616.6 which is 1850. Sheffield says their cutoff this year is 1850/2700 so since I literally just scrape it figured not worth it as wouldn't get an interview :smile:

Yup! :smile:
Hey, yeah i did my UKCAT on results day (would not recommend) and got 616.6 which is 1850. Sheffield says their cutoff this year is 1850/2700 so since I literally just scrape it figured not worth it as wouldn't get an interview :smile:

Ah ok, that's a shame :/ I got 713, do you think that'll be enough?
Applied for 2016 entry and got in, let me tell you all I don't envy what you guys are about to go through at all :P

also I swear we weren't on this thread originally and it was one I started? Where'd it go?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending