Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?
    University of Bristol
    16.28%
    Cardiff University
    22.09%
    University of Southampton
    8.14%
    University of Nottingham
    18.60%
    University of Birmingham
    34.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard 45)
    Just got an invitation to Bristol GEM! Hurrah.

Looking at the booking form for the interview days, they look as though they're getting towards the end of sending out offers! Good luck to anyone still yet to hear back!
    Are you referring to A100 courses? Are they going to finish sending interview invitations?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I have a question- during MMI role play interviews is one allowed to touch a distressed patient eg on their shoulder or hand to kind of calm them down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spiritless98)
    Guys I have a question- during MMI role play interviews is one allowed to touch a distressed patient eg on their shoulder or hand to kind of calm them down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did during one of mine! There's nothing to say you can't touch and, if it's appropriate, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else wishing all the offers can be sent out now?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got told during my mock interview and also in a few of the books I read that if it feels like you should touch the patient and you feel comfortable doing so then its good to do. But if you don't feel comfortable then it could do you more harm than good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello,

In general, our qualified, practising doctors here in the office say that you can show empathy by touching patients on the hand, but this usually happens with patients that already have a relationship with the doctor. If it's a patient you've only just met, it's best not to touch them unless you're examining them! So for a role play, you should avoid touching them on the hand/shoulder etc.

The best way to try and calm a distressed patient is by maintaining open and welcoming body language, and making sure you can show empathy. Check out our free blog on empathy here.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    I had my mock interview today, and my interviewer told me that I had good answers however I need to smile more and show more body language etc
    Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had my mock interview today, and my interviewer told me that I had good answers however I need to smile more and show more body language etc
    Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    try moving the corners of your mouth towards the direction of your ears whilst showing the top row of your teeth. Raising your eyebrows also makes it look much more friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    try moving the corners of your mouth towards the direction of your ears whilst showing the top row of your teeth. Raising your eyebrows also makes it look much more friendly.
    Is it necessary to show your teeth☺️
    Can I just smile?
    Do you have any advice on hand movements?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Can I just smile?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Be careful not to over think this. Just be natural, they'll understand that you're nervous. Trying to consciously smile in a certain way or make certain gestures could end up looking forced and unnatural.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can I just smile?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what ever makes you look friendly and happy to be there will do. I personally use hand gestures a lot, but by keeping eye contact with the interviewer, I could see when they started to look at my hands it meant they were being distracted so i'd stop and keep them in my lap. If you dont naturally use hand gestures, dont bother trying or it'll confuse you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Be careful not to over think this. Just be natural, they'll understand that you're nervous. Trying to consciously smile in a certain way or make certain gestures could end up looking forced and unnatural.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! My mock interviewer said I look very serious and my interviews on Friday I need to fix this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you! My mock interviewer said I look very serious and my interviews on Friday I need to fix this

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're going to look a bit serious and nervous that's normal. But if you're too busy thinking 'I must smile, I must smile' you won't be concentrating on your answers.

Just try and take some deep breaths beforehand and relax. That will help more with your body language than over thinking how to smile.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know much about the Sheffield MMI structure and how best to prepare?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.