Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ask the TSR Government - 22nd Parliament watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Well, unlike perhaps in UKIP our members' beliefs are not necessarily whipped into being carbon copies of each other.

The flagship policy will be a raise in the school starting age as part of a reorganisation of early years education. I also hope to carry out a full reform of secondary qualifications.
    That sounds like a good policy, starting school later will save money that can be reinvested to improve the quality of education later in the school system.

ReputationRep:
    Does the department of education have any plans to tackle male underachivement in GCSE's and A-levels?

An abandonment of coursework in core subjects such as English & Science seems a sensible way forward.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Helfus)
    Does the department of education have any plans to tackle male underachivement in GCSE's and A-levels?

An abandonment of coursework in core subjects such as English & Science seems a sensible way forward.
    An abandonment of coursework in science? The subject where practical skills are really important you want to get I'd of testing for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    An abandonment of coursework in science? The subject where practical skills are really important you want to get I'd of testing for?
    IRL A-levels have already abandoned coursework for the Sciences, practical based questions are asked in exams. This seems like a sensible policy.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what plans the department for education has, they don't have to agree with me on a reduction in coursework but the gender gap is a serious issue.

It is the biggest in Western Europe.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    IRL A-levels have already abandoned coursework for the Sciences, practical based questions are asked in exams. This seems like a sensible policy.
    Not exactly. Coursework doesn't count towards the grade but it is pass/fail. Although if it were my choise we would reverse that.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the government has plans in place to end the gross inequality of our education system, you do not have to agree with my stance on how to tackle it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It seems like a daft policy and I'm glad that we have not enacted it in Wales.

I would probably put the gender gap down to factors outside the design of the curriculum. Quite how you solve it I don't really know (this is where a RL government can commission an investigatory report) but I would imagine it is a factor of social perceptions of the importance (or not) of education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    It seems like a daft policy and I'm glad that we have not enacted it in Wales.

I would probably put the gender gap down to factors outside the design of the curriculum. Quite how you solve it I don't really know (this is where a RL government can commission an investigatory report) but I would imagine it is a factor of social perceptions of the importance (or not) of education.
    That's incorrect, the gender gap only became prevalent in the 90's when coursework became more prominent.

ReputationRep:
    One reason for this could possibly be girls being 'marked up' by teachers
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31751672

Maybe instead of getting rid of coursework it should be marked externally and without names attached to it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That's incorrect, the gender gap only became prevalent in the 90's when coursework became more prominent.
    Well we'll see what happens now that the role of coursework has been significantly decreased.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I saved the long drawn out resignation for the Sub so I guess I'll leave the rest of the house with this:I ain't marching anymore
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    I saved the long drawn out resignation for the Sub so I guess I'll leave the rest of the house with this:I ain't marching anymore
    Does this mean the curse strikes again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Does this mean the curse strikes again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It can strike at any time
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    It can strike at any time
    Is it 3 or 4 in a row now though?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There was the twins then Jarred, now it's me. It really is a shame, though I wish everyone the best.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is 4. Mac, GP, Jarred and now James. Though atleast James Milibanter had the decency to let us all know
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You are welcome to pass on the role to me. I won't disappear.

ReputationRep:
    Good riddance. You should all finally step aside, you know…
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    R00d
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Good riddance. You should all finally step aside, you know…

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.