Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wow that just looked like england didn't even care..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Fair play to Rabada - but what a shower of **** from England this morning.

To be skittled out for seven wickets with just 49 runs put on in little over an hour's play just undermines the whole notion of charging fans who attended.

The bowling was fantastic from Rabada yet again. 13 wickets in the match – and he second best match figures in South Africa’s history. Maybe they won't miss Steyn too badly when he retires after all, eh?

You can see why England floundered, in truth. A dead rubber - which they are notoriously bad at navigating anyway - at the end of a ludicrous run of 17 Test matches in about nine months. That's a lot of cricket.

You feel that this series has certainly raised more questions than it has solved, though, even despite the win. Hales, Compton, Taylor, Bairstow, Woakes are the obviously weak links. The latter is little more than a line and length bowler - and while that will get you five-fors at county level - he simply isn't Test quality.

Bairstow's glove work needs improvement. He starts too low, in my view, and shifts his weight to the left too early meaning he then can't get back right to collect a ball coming through. His keeping at the Wanderers, where the ball was coming through full and high, was generally competent. It's on the pitches that keep low which he needs to improve himself on, otherwise Buttler will be back in.

Taylor is certainly Test quality. He needs time and investment - and I'd probably give all three (Hales, Compton and Taylor) more time. The former two obviously have questions over them and will be under scrutiny, but they can handle that.

Hales now has an ODI series to shine in, but Compton won't play Test cricket again until May now. I wonder what will happen then, if he fails to perform and somebody in the county arena is impressing.

Plenty of questions.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Hales has been a travesty. Compton started well and has fallen off a cliff
    Cook has played pretty abysmally
    The middle order still has a tendency to not fight when the going gets tough; just rolls over
    Woakes - pls no
    The answer to whether Moenn is good enough to be the primary spinner is yet to be answered

Whilst pleased to win the series, the performance this morning was pathetic. Still big questions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    At least Steyn has been ruled out of the ODI series, too. We won't win it - because winning a white-ball series against SA in SA is a thankless task - but that's lifted my spirits a little on this dour day.

ReputationRep:
    Problems in the batting are numbers 2,3 and 5.

Bairstow's batting is fine but his keeping needs improvement, but I certainly wouldn't be going near Buttler any time soon. His keeping is only marginally better and I think he needs a run out of the test side before being considered again. Give Bairstow the full English summer and reassess then. Usually keeping improves with time as seen with Prior and Buttler.

Hales has been poor, but again I think you need to persist slightly longer, especially with a lack of viable openers in County Cricket. Give him the Sri Lanka series at home and possibly the first Pakistan test and go from there. Same for Compton and Taylor. I'd also say to Hales that he needs to play the early county season instead of going to the IPL so that he can work on the longer game technique.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Any chance of maybe allowing Moeen to open? (again?) I'm sure he used to in County Cricket and it's a worthy gamble. He's getting alot more critisism after this series regarding his bowling and his batting is taking a hit.

Bring in Rashid as a full time spinner (he's a good lower order batsmen too) and Moeen can open, and become a batsmen who bowls the odd few.

Don't see the harm in trying this out tbh. Obviously not in the near future, Hales should get one last series to turn his fortune.

As for todays batting implosion, what was the team meeting like? "We're all tired, let's just give em this one". Amla and Bavuma batted and batted well just yesterday. The track was hard to bat on sure, but we could've defended ourselves to a draw.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    At least Steyn has been ruled out of the ODI series, too. We won't win it - because winning a white-ball series against SA in SA is a thankless task - but that's lifted my spirits a little on this dour day.
    Still have to face Rabada though haha

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Hales is going to be a long term solution, but I can't think of anyone out there who deserves the opener spot. I don't agree with Bairstow criticism, though. I think he's played quite well this series.

Personally, I'm sad that Steyn is out, no matter how good that is for England. I want to see the best take on the best. Makes for better entertainment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    I don't think Hales is going to be a long term solution, but I can't think of anyone out there who deserves the opener spot. I don't agree with Bairstow criticism, though. I think he's played quite well this series.

Personally, I'm sad that Steyn is out, no matter how good that is for England. I want to see the best take on the best. Makes for better entertainment
    i lyke turtles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazza'sNightmare)
    i lyke turtles
    Good to know mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    I don't think Hales is going to be a long term solution, but I can't think of anyone out there who deserves the opener spot.
    Alex Lees is the next obvious high performing county opener for England to try. Chopra is worth considering too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    Alex Lees is the next obvious high performing county opener for England to try. Chopra is worth considering too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They haven't played cricket in months, though, and won't until May.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just saw the India and Australia highlights. Well in, India.

Australia were laughable in the field and even worse in the crease - and India have underlined their ability to sweep the World Twenty20 when it kicks off in a couple of months.

The Baggy Greens needed Usman Khawaja out there, you imagine. Fair enough, he'll probably go to the WT20 tournament, but they need to be playing their first choice XI to get them gelling and fluid before it starts.

While they're at it, they can get rid of Richardson and Tait.

That Kohli innings was effortlessly brilliant. Only ABDV can rival him in limited overs cricket.

ReputationRep:
    Just saw the India and Australia highlights.
    Where do you watch highlights?

ReputationRep:
    They haven't played cricket in months, though, and won't until May.
    Good job the next test isn't until late May then
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Where do you watch highlights?
    Sky Sports News, mate.

Chris Gayle confirmed to return for the T20 Blast.

ReputationRep:
    I know SA have been pretty rubbish in test cricket recently, but in a couple of years I can see them doing pretty well. With young bowlers like Rabada (with Philander, Morkel and Steyn) their bowling is in good hands, unless they are injured, but I am sure they have bench strength too. Their batting looks decent too, young guys like Bavuma and de Kock, with the experience of Amla, ABDV and Faf could make quite a potent line up. Stephen Cook could also play test cricket for a few years now (similar to Rogers for Australia) and they could be a decent team.

ABDV was right that England aren't unbeatable, and SA showed that to be true. You gotta love Rabada :love:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    I know SA have been pretty rubbish in test cricket recently, but in a couple of years I can see them doing pretty well. With young bowlers like Rabada (with Philander, Morkel and Steyn) their bowling is in good hands, unless they are injured, but I am sure they have bench strength too. Their batting looks decent too, young guys like Bavuma and de Kock, with the experience of Amla, ABDV and Faf could make quite a potent line up. Stephen Cook could also play test cricket for a few years now (similar to Rogers for Australia) and they could be a decent team.

ABDV was right that England aren't unbeatable, and SA showed that to be true. You gotta love Rabada :love:
    They'll be absolutely fine. Rabada and Bavuma are two players they can really build a side around - and despite Morkel, Steyn and Philander ageing - they have three or four years left if they tailor their matches correctly.

The biggest issue for them is the captaincy. ABDV patently doesn't want it. You can see that. And why would he? He's got a pair of ducks to show for it from the fourth and final Test, for goodness sake. On the other hand, look what Amla's managed since relinquishing the leadership: he's bagging double hundreds and batting carefree.

ReputationRep:
    They'll be absolutely fine. Rabada and Bavuma are two players they can really build a side around - and despite Morkel, Steyn and Philander ageing - they have three or four years left if they tailor their matches correctly.

The biggest issue for them is the captaincy. ABDV patently doesn't want it. You can see that. And why would he? He's got a pair of ducks to show for it from the fourth and final Test, for goodness sake. On the other hand, look what Amla's managed since relinquishing the leadership: he's bagging double hundreds and batting carefree.
    Agreed. I feel like ABDV is the ultimate team man though and so if he thinks that it is much better for SA that he is captain, he will continue. Although, if it really affects his form with the bat then I am not sure if he should.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Agreed. I feel like ABDV is the ultimate team man though and so if he thinks that it is much better for SA that he is captain, he will continue. Although, if it really affects his form with the bat then I am not sure if he should.
    I'm unsure, actually. I think you may be overestimating his dedication to the cause. There are rumblings surrounding his role in Amla's departure, for instance. Rumours of him constantly undermining him have become increasingly pronounced.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.