Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelpain)
    thanks I didn't realise that turned violent, I just googled student protests about tuition fees Nov 2015
    Yeah i didnt till just now either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    Pr systems - party list and stv gives better representations so smaller parties, accurately proportional, results are accurate but more likely to result in unstable government eg coalitions

Major parties tend to dominate the outcome in whatever system is used
    All systems provide geographical points all in the uk with representation just to varying degrees

I'm struggling...the differences are much easier ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What are the differences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    What are the differences?
    FPTP -> produce stronger governmentswith a working majority -> quicker and simpler -> operates with singlemember constituencies -> less fair representation -> favours largeparties to the detriment of smaller parties and has safe seats/marginal seats

Closed party list -> more accurate %of votes to % of seats -> proportional -> accurate representation -> beneficialto smaller parties, especially those who do badly under FPTP such as UKIP ->means a coalition is likely

AMS -> confusing for voters whoselect two types of representatives -> compensates parties who would notnormally do well under the constituency element due to the proportional ‘topup’ of seats -> this means that the Conservative party has done well inScotland assembly when it usually wouldn’t -> now the official opposition

However, FPTP had a coalition in 2010showing that FPTP can also create a coalition government and AMS in Scotlandhas produced a single party government -> all electoral systems used in theUK provide geographical representation to varying degrees & major partieswill dominate regardless of electoral system

ReputationRep:
    Bit random but does anyone have another example of a pressure group that's massive other than National Trust (and if possible the figures for membership)

ReputationRep:
    is Britain First a PG?

ReputationRep:
    Bit random but does anyone have another example of a pressure group that's massive other than National Trust (and if possible the figures for membership)
    Greenpeace is really big and according to the Guardian 1 in 10 adults are a member of an environmental group (although that isn't Greenpeace specific)

ReputationRep:
    RSPB - over 1 million members - more than the members of Labour, Conservatives and Lib Dems combined apparently!
    Unison (trade union): 1.3 million members

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxssamy)
    is Britain First a PG?
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornjpg)
    No
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    RSPB, Greenpeace,

ReputationRep:
    What's a good example of a pressure group that uses 'cyberactivism'? I read that Wikileaks could be an example but I'm not sure how good of an example that could be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romaiseb)
    What's a good example of a pressure group that uses 'cyberactivism'? I read that Wikileaks could be an example but I'm not sure how good of an example that could be
    I think you could use Anonymous?

ReputationRep:
    Quote with the hardest question from TWO sections and someone will make a plan for those questions

ReputationRep:
    RSPB - over 1 million members - more than the members of Labour, Conservatives and Lib Dems combined apparently!
    Unison (trade union): 1.3 million members
    (Original post by jxssamy)
    Greenpeace is really big and according to the Guardian 1 in 10 adults are a member of an environmental group (although that isn't Greenpeace specific)
    Thank you, another question: do groups within Brexit/Remain count as pressure groups?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, another question: do groups within Brexit/Remain count as pressure groups?
    Haha I literally just asked that question to my politics group chat!! No they're not, they're more movements rather than pressure groups, seeing as they don't really exert influence on the government.

ReputationRep:
    Are "Outline the Key features" 5 mark questions essentially the same as "Define" ones?

ReputationRep:
    What do people think is gonna come up for political parties? Anyone think they're gonna ask a coalition question- I don't think they will, as they focused on that in 2011/12, but what are the odds?? D:

ReputationRep:
    Guys what could be some points for how the government is an elected dictatorship? This won't come up as a question on its own of course but I was wondering how I could elaborate this point when it comes to a question on how democratic the UK is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightcall)
    Are "Outline the Key features" 5 mark questions essentially the same as "Define" ones?
    They're both description based questions- no need to explain too much- with the features one make sure you get all features in, with the define one, make sure you're expanding on your definition and adding an example (also add an example in the features question- e.g. outline the features of direct democracy: direct, unmediated and continuous, expand on these points, add an ancient example (e.g. Athens) then add a modern example (e.g. referendums).
    So, yeah, they are essentially the same, but take the word features into account when writing

hope i helped

ReputationRep:
    You could use Wikileaks. They do campaign for better press freedoms, for civil liberties, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 1, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.