Maths year 11

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Ah good, then this should be straight forward.

If you label the angle at the tower, lets say \theta (called theta), then you know that tan\theta is the opposite side divided by the adjacent side, with opposite being 4.5 and adjacent being 2.1 as you can see. You can find the actual angle by doing inverse tan. Of course, this angle is not the bearing because bearings are measured from the North, therefore you need to find the other angle long that line by doing 180-\theta, and that should give you the bearing. Don't forget bearings are shown as 3 digits.
    So do I find the hypotenuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    So do I find the hypotenuse

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well realistically you have choices, you can use the hypoteneuse and work with either sine or cosine, or you can use the two sides of the triangle which would require you to use tan (refer back to what I said if you want to use tan). You already know the hypoteneuse though, you found it in the previous part.

ReputationRep:
    Well realistically you have choices, you can use the hypoteneuse and work with either sine or cosine, or you can use the two sides of the triangle which would require you to use tan (refer back to what I said if you want to use tan). You already know the hypoteneuse though, you found it in the previous part.
    Did this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

I Did this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Correct. You can now use this to find the bearing as you know the angles on a straight line add up to 180.

ReputationRep:
    Correct. You can now use this to find the bearing as you know the angles on a straight line add up to 180.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    Yep!
    yusssssss !!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep!
    I did something wrong can't figure it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yep!
    I did something wrong can't figure it out.,

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    I did something wrong can't figure it out.,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    AC is just hypotenuse, and since you are given the side lengths, it's basic pythagoras to find it.

ReputationRep:
    AC is just hypotenuse, and since you are given the side lengths, it's basic pythagoras to find it.
    Did these

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Did these

Posted from TSR Mobile
    37 is right but the bearing is wrong because that would mean you are measuring it anticlockwise.

Bearing tell us that they are measured clockwise from the north line as a 3 digit number.

ReputationRep:
    37 is right but the bearing is wrong because that would mean you are measuring it anticlockwise.

Bearing tell us that they are measured clockwise from the north line as a 3 digit number.
    So the answer is 037?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    So the answer is 037?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. I meant I agree with your working up until you get 37 degrees. Think about how you can use that to get the bearing by measuring it clockwise from the north.

ReputationRep:
    No. I meant I agree with your working up until you get 37 degrees. Think about how you can use that to get the bearing by measuring it clockwise from the north.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    How would you approach this?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.