The Student Room Group

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by toronto353
Mmmm yes, to be honest, I too was wondering how 3000 people from the Antarctic and 50000 people from the Vatican signed up (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/26/concern-as-online-call-for-second-brexit-vote-gains-more-than-39/). Looks like someone might have been trolling the Remainers (http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-brexit-2nd-referendum-petition-a-4-chan-prank-bbc-report-it-as-real/). :rofl:

47 in Vatican City
0 in Antarctica

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 641
3 million is nothing. It's hardly a suprise since it's biggest political event in history, anything that overturns brexit will result in terrorism and further uncertainty. Although we're without leadership and guidance at the moment, the bottom line is we won't be a member of the EU at the end of all this. I suggest you get behind your MP to make sure we get a good deal and to ensure the union isn't split, if remain voters don't move on they won't have an influence on the future and will be the reason for failure.
Reply 642
Original post by zayn008
3 million is nothing.

Really? Manchester has a population of 2.5 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zayn008
3 million is nothing.

So when 3 million Turks arrive in the UK before we've actually left the EU....that will be "nothing"....
Reply 644
Original post by jneill
Really? Manchester has a population of 2.5 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It means nothing, unless that referendum passes the number of people who voted remain even if it's by 1 but until then it means nothing. We had a referendum and every single eligible voter was given a choice, if the petition was signed by leave voters and non voters it would mean something but we have no way of telling that and all it shows is the remain side expressing their misfortune which is to be expected
Reply 645
Original post by MagicNMedicine
So when 3 million Turks arrive in the UK before we've actually left the EU....that will be "nothing"....

As soon as article 50 is triggered that wouldnt be an issue, we have the right to decline them or send them back, our comossioner has resigned, our flag taken down from Brussels and the result has been accepted the only reason we might not turn back those potential 3 million turks is because it'd be used as leverage in negotiations.

But how is a petition started by people who voted remain and supported by 1/5 of people voted remain going to overturn a democratic and hugely publicized referendum? June 23rd was their chance to express their views not 2 days after in a petition and that was made EXTEREMLY clear. This petition only shows one side of the story and it's just the remain side expressing their anger, it doesn't express a change in desire since the referendum, unless that change is expressed somehow such as leave voters expressing regret, non voters calling for a say or this petition passes 16 million signatures I think overturning it would be disastrous and unjustifiable. 3 million is a lot but not when we've just had a huge referendum.
Reply 646
Original post by zayn008
But how is a petition started by people who voted remain and supported by 1/5 of people voted remain going to overturn a democratic and hugely publicized referendum? June 23rd was their chance to express their views not 2 days after in a petition and that was made EXTEREMLY clear. This petition only shows one side of the story and it's just the remain side expressing their anger, it doesn't express a change in desire since the referendum, unless that change is expressed somehow such as leave voters expressing regret, non voters calling for a say or this petition passes 16 million signatures I think overturning it would be disastrous and unjustifiable. 3 million is a lot but not when we've just had a huge referendum.

The petition was started by a Leave campaigner.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-petition-second-eu-referendum-latest-news-vote-leave-a7104076.html

Farage had already said before the poll that he would call for a 2nd Ref if it was a close win for Remain. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

What's good for the goose...
Original post by jneill
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-petition-second-eu-referendum-latest-news-vote-leave-a7104076.html

Farage had already said before the poll that he would call for a 2nd Ref if it was a close win for Remain. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

exactly
One of the more outrageous things about this whole mad situation is that when it comes to invoking Article 50, we won't actually have the same government as when the referendum was kicked off. I think there should be a general election on the referendum decision with the public asked to vote for the government they want - that would give each party a chance to say where they stand.

In fact, Cameron attempted to short-circuit democracy with this referendum - and now we are stuck with the most terrible damage because gullible parts of the electorate were conned by the expensively designed lies of UKIP and others.

That is no democracy - it's fascistic.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
One of the more outrageous things about this whole mad situation is that when it comes to invoking Article 50, we won't actually have the same government as when the referendum was kicked off. I think there should be a general election on the referendum decision with the public asked to vote for the government they want - that would give each party a chance to say where they stand.

In fact, Cameron attempted to short-circuit democracy with this referendum - and now we are stuck with the most terrible damage because gullible parts of the electorate were conned by the expensively designed lies of UKIP and others.

Agree 100% (write to your MP and ask for election )
Reply 650

Original post by FredOrJohn
Agree 100% (write to your MP and ask for election )

Yup - that's exactly what could happen with a cross-party coalition standing on a Remain ticket. That would be a much more decisive outcome (one way or the other) than an advisory referendum.

And I definitely agree about writing to your MP and earlier I added that to my OP.
Reply 651
Original post by jneill

Well when the results are over turned and we have loads of violence and terrorism from the leave side we'll have a bigger problem. I don't see why people are so sad, the EU is on the verge of collapse
Reply 652
The thing is lots of people voted leave for the extra ~£350 million to the NHS and to reduce immigration. However, the morning that the results were released, the statements of the extra money were retracted. The same happened to the promise of cutting immigration a few days later. This would more than likely sway the vote in favor of the remain campaign.
Original post by zayn008
Well when the results are over turned and we have loads of violence and terrorism from the leave side we'll have a bigger problem. I don't see why people are so sad, the EU is on the verge of collapse

I'm a contractor. I could not find a job in the UK - no where at all. Luckily, I was given work in Finland for a year. The EU saved my economic life... And thousands and perhaps millions like me.

We, those that have been saved by the EU, will fight to the end. We know when the chips are really down it was the EU that saved our bacon.

Yeah, I guess from the view point of an old folks home you might see the world differently. I am not knocking that view, they can fight their corner and I will fight mine.

I can see and accept that old folks tend to see things differently and I accept that they are 100% entitled to their view and I am also 100% entitled to fight on in every democratic way possible to save the right of all generations to either retire to Spain, find work in Finland or become a Doctor via English speaking universities in Poland.

Why should the old have to retire to rainy Worthing? Currently the whole of Europe is open to them. I will fight for their rights even if they currently do not want to fight for those rights themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 654
Original post by FredOrJohn
I'm a contractor. I could not find a job in the UK - no where at all. Luckily, I was given work in Finland for a year. The EU saved my economic life... And thousands and perhaps millions like me.

We, those that have been saved by the EU, will fight to the end. We know when the chips are really down it was the EU that saved our bacon.

Yeah, I guess from the view point of an old folks home you might see the world differently. I am not knocking that view, they can fight their corner and I will fight mine.

I can see and accept that old folks tend to see things differently and I accept that they are 100% entitled to their view and I am also 100% entitled to fight on in every democratic way possible to save the right of all generations to either retire to Spain, find work in Finland or become a Doctor via English speaking universities in Poland.

Why should the old have to retire to rainy Worthing? Currently the whole of Europe is open to them. I will fight for their rights even if they currently do not want to fight for those rights themselves.

Fight for free movement of labour in our negotiations, do not over turn the democratic results of leaving the European Union instead use your democratic rights to influence our future relations with the EU. We can be out of the EU while having labour mobility. I am a partially regretful leave supporter, immigration for means of labour was never something I had an issue with and I think the claim that foreign people are taking our jobs is PATHETIC, if we are to compete internationally we cannot have under skilled and over paid British workers simply because we don't have access to people who NEED to work for money even if it is a lower than what British people woud get, without these foreign workers we would simply be bankrupt. Our small 1% of growth for the past few years would be a negative number if we didn't have competitive labour.

I'm all for you in the argument of labour movement and being able to retire in another country with ease but staying in the EU is not the only way to have these benefits. To be honest Cameron's deal with the EU was pretty good in terms of immigration but I want a deal that says "no work/economic activity, no movement", economically active in this case includes pensioners or just people who have enough money to make a living
Kippers handing out hate signs against Poles in Eastern towns?
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/police-probe-racist-signs-distributed-after-brexit-vote-in-eu-referendum-a3281021.html

Found outside a primary school in Cambridgeshire.

Racism on the march in the reactionary atmosphere created by Farage and his fellow travellers in the far right.

As predicted, the Leave vote is being taken as a green light by racists to spread hate.

You have absolutely no evidence that anybody remotely connected to UKIP has done this. I'm no lover of UKIP but what you've said is slanderous and you ought to retract it immediately.
Original post by jneill
Cornwall:

So they throw them a bone after destroying their fishing industry? Great :rolleyes:
Original post by KimKallstrom
You have absolutely no evidence that anybody remotely connected to UKIP has done this. I'm no lover of UKIP but what you've said is slanderous and you ought to retract it immediately.

She's already accused UKIP of murder because some lunatic who happened also not to be the EU's greatest fan took it upon himself to shoot someone. We were already at the bottom of the barrel.

In fact, Cameron attempted to short-circuit democracy with this referendum

Given that he promised a referendum in his manifesto, delivered it, and now has said he will deliver the result, I would say that he isn't the one attempting to short-circuit democracy. That would be the people seeking to set aside that entire process.

Your posts bear no relation to reality whatsoever. You live in your own fantasy world, and you do neither your cause nor anyone else any favours by putting forward such shrill, delusional whines as you've been spewing out constantly since the result came in.
Original post by zayn008

I worked a year in Finland when no one in the UK would employ me. The EU saved my economic bacon when the chips where down.
I owe them one.

I will fight democratically until my dying breath to back the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending