Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    There are precedents for 2nd EU referendums. (but not likely in this case)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No but we might get a snap election - keep the pressure on the MPs.

So far, its one referendum each - If it was a sport we need a decider - an ELECTION.

David Lemmy for PM with alliance with Libdems

Well done with this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Copycats&Acrobats)
    I'm not saying that it is democratic, only that it points out the flaws of our democratic model. Besides, due to the amount of people who signed it, it has to be debated by Parliament.

Plus, not showing up doesnt mean you are abstaining. What about those who missed the deadline or those who didnt want to vote because of the total shitstorm and mud slinging that happened in the campaign? There was a lot of misinformation.
    Those who didn't show up and decided not to vote had decided not to vote.
    Missed the deadline the rules were clear, the deadline to register was clear and then extended and the deadline to decide to vote was clear so they can't complain.

Yes and a lot of the people who have signed it are outside of the U.K. A German journalist signed it to show that anyone could and it still is outnumbered by the people who voted to leave.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    There's no tuttut needed.

Yes the petition was created by a Leaver. So? Backfired a bit on them hasn't it...

And the "fraud" investigation is a perfectly sensible request to confirm that the signatories are valid. I'm quite certain some of them aren't. That doesn't invalidate the whole petition, in the same way that spoiled ballots don't invalidate the Referendum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mmmm yes, to be honest, I too was wondering how 3000 people from the Antarctic and 50000 people from the Vatican signed up (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-more-than-39/). Looks like someone might have been trolling the Remainers (http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-brexi...rt-it-as-real/). :rofl:

(Original post by Copycats&Acrobats)
    also I'd like to point out that this campaign was created by a Pro-Brexit student, and they would have used it to argue for another vote if the Out campaign hadn't won.
    So he just created it to favour himself? OK... :/

ReputationRep:
    A fanatic song to celebrate leaving the EU.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHNfvJc99YY
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Mmmm yes, to be honest, I too was wondering how 3000 people from the Antarctic and 50000 people from the Vatican signed up (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-more-than-39/). Looks like someone might have been trolling the Remainers (http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-brexi...rt-it-as-real/). :rofl:
    47 in Vatican City
    0 in Antarctica

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 million is nothing. It's hardly a suprise since it's biggest political event in history, anything that overturns brexit will result in terrorism and further uncertainty. Although we're without leadership and guidance at the moment, the bottom line is we won't be a member of the EU at the end of all this. I suggest you get behind your MP to make sure we get a good deal and to ensure the union isn't split, if remain voters don't move on they won't have an influence on the future and will be the reason for failure.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by zayn008)
    3 million is nothing.
    Really? Manchester has a population of 2.5 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    3 million is nothing.
    So when 3 million Turks arrive in the UK before we've actually left the EU....that will be "nothing"....

ReputationRep:
    Really? Manchester has a population of 2.5 million.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It means nothing, unless that referendum passes the number of people who voted remain even if it's by 1 but until then it means nothing. We had a referendum and every single eligible voter was given a choice, if the petition was signed by leave voters and non voters it would mean something but we have no way of telling that and all it shows is the remain side expressing their misfortune which is to be expected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    So when 3 million Turks arrive in the UK before we've actually left the EU....that will be "nothing"....
    As soon as article 50 is triggered that wouldnt be an issue, we have the right to decline them or send them back, our comossioner has resigned, our flag taken down from Brussels and the result has been accepted the only reason we might not turn back those potential 3 million turks is because it'd be used as leverage in negotiations.

But how is a petition started by people who voted remain and supported by 1/5 of people voted remain going to overturn a democratic and hugely publicized referendum? June 23rd was their chance to express their views not 2 days after in a petition and that was made EXTEREMLY clear. This petition only shows one side of the story and it's just the remain side expressing their anger, it doesn't express a change in desire since the referendum, unless that change is expressed somehow such as leave voters expressing regret, non voters calling for a say or this petition passes 16 million signatures I think overturning it would be disastrous and unjustifiable. 3 million is a lot but not when we've just had a huge referendum.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    But how is a petition started by people who voted remain and supported by 1/5 of people voted remain going to overturn a democratic and hugely publicized referendum? June 23rd was their chance to express their views not 2 days after in a petition and that was made EXTEREMLY clear. This petition only shows one side of the story and it's just the remain side expressing their anger, it doesn't express a change in desire since the referendum, unless that change is expressed somehow such as leave voters expressing regret, non voters calling for a say or this petition passes 16 million signatures I think overturning it would be disastrous and unjustifiable. 3 million is a lot but not when we've just had a huge referendum.
    The petition was started by a Leave campaigner.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7104076.html

Farage had already said before the poll that he would call for a 2nd Ref if it was a close win for Remain. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...rendum-7985017

What's good for the goose...

ReputationRep:

Farage had already said before the poll that he would call for a 2nd Ref if it was a close win for Remain. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...rendum-7985017

exactly

ReputationRep:
    One of the more outrageous things about this whole mad situation is that when it comes to invoking Article 50, we won't actually have the same government as when the referendum was kicked off. I think there should be a general election on the referendum decision with the public asked to vote for the government they want - that would give each party a chance to say where they stand.

In fact, Cameron attempted to short-circuit democracy with this referendum - and now we are stuck with the most terrible damage because gullible parts of the electorate were conned by the expensively designed lies of UKIP and others.

That is no democracy - it's fascistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    One of the more outrageous things about this whole mad situation is that when it comes to invoking Article 50, we won't actually have the same government as when the referendum was kicked off. I think there should be a general election on the referendum decision with the public asked to vote for the government they want - that would give each party a chance to say where they stand.

In fact, Cameron attempted to short-circuit democracy with this referendum - and now we are stuck with the most terrible damage because gullible parts of the electorate were conned by the expensively designed lies of UKIP and others.

Agree 100% (write to your MP and ask for election )
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader

(Original post by FredOrJohn)
    Agree 100% (write to your MP and ask for election )
    Yup - that's exactly what could happen with a cross-party coalition standing on a Remain ticket. That would be a much more decisive outcome (one way or the other) than an advisory referendum.

And I definitely agree about writing to your MP and earlier I added that to my OP.

Oh God, now both sides of this debate are calling each other fascists...

ReputationRep:

Well when the results are over turned and we have loads of violence and terrorism from the leave side we'll have a bigger problem. I don't see why people are so sad, the EU is on the verge of collapse

ReputationRep:
    The thing is lots of people voted leave for the extra ~£350 million to the NHS and to reduce immigration. However, the morning that the results were released, the statements of the extra money were retracted. The same happened to the promise of cutting immigration a few days later. This would more than likely sway the vote in favor of the remain campaign.

ReputationRep:
    Well when the results are over turned and we have loads of violence and terrorism from the leave side we'll have a bigger problem. I don't see why people are so sad, the EU is on the verge of collapse
    I'm a contractor. I could not find a job in the UK - no where at all. Luckily, I was given work in Finland for a year. The EU saved my economic life... And thousands and perhaps millions like me.

We, those that have been saved by the EU, will fight to the end. We know when the chips are really down it was the EU that saved our bacon.

Yeah, I guess from the view point of an old folks home you might see the world differently. I am not knocking that view, they can fight their corner and I will fight mine.

I can see and accept that old folks tend to see things differently and I accept that they are 100% entitled to their view and I am also 100% entitled to fight on in every democratic way possible to save the right of all generations to either retire to Spain, find work in Finland or become a Doctor via English speaking universities in Poland.

Why should the old have to retire to rainy Worthing? Currently the whole of Europe is open to them. I will fight for their rights even if they currently do not want to fight for those rights themselves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.