The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TH3-FL45H
My question is about the SAQ. It says that I should put in details about the subjects I did last year and am doing this year. I did Maths early in year 11 which means that I didn't have a class for it last year. Does this mean that I just don't put it in? If I do put it in, then will Cambridge assume that I had a maths class in year 12 which I didn't. Also if I do put it in what do I put as the class size because I taught myself it but I sat in the back of a year 11 class?

Thanks in advance.

You should put the details in from Maths in Y11 - the question aims to capture A level or equivalent work but is written in general terms. Put a class size of 1 & explain it was self taught elsewhere.
Original post by Rachel58
I know you probably won't be able to answer this, but regarding the HAA, would it be better to write the essay thematically, or in a general way of 'similarities, differences, explain the causes of the differences' structure?

The joy of a good history essay is that there's no one way to write one and this holds true for the assessment. You have to answer the question in the way that seems best to you, sorry not to be more helpful.
Thank you very much for your help Dr Spencer!
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
You should put the details in from Maths in Y11 - the question aims to capture A level or equivalent work but is written in general terms. Put a class size of 1 & explain it was self taught elsewhere.

Thanks. Should I put in both AS level and A level Maths in or just A level?

Also what do I put my EPQ in there as well? What do I put as my subject? My topic was effectiveness of mental health treatments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAMIN99
Thank you very much for your help Dr Spencer!

You're welcome. :smile:
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Thanks. Should I put in both AS level and A level Maths in or just A level?

Also what do I put my EPQ in there as well? What do I put as my subject? My topic was effectiveness of mental health treatments.

You should put both AS and A2 topics.

Don't fill in the EPQ, you'll have mentioned that elsewhere.
Hi Dr Spencer,
I have applied for Natural science and I tailored my Personal Statement towards studying this. I read an answer you gave to a previous question which stated that one does not have to write about why they would benefit from the tutorial system or why they want to study at Cambridge.
So I'm not sure what to write in the SAQ additional statement or if I should fill it in at all.
Thanks in advance!
You should put both AS and A2 topics.

Don't fill in the EPQ, you'll have mentioned that elsewhere.

Thanks
Original post by lottiee_meyer
Hi Dr Spencer,
I have applied for Natural science and I tailored my Personal Statement towards studying this. I read an answer you gave to a previous question which stated that one does not have to write about why they would benefit from the tutorial system or why they want to study at Cambridge.
So I'm not sure what to write in the SAQ additional statement or if I should fill it in at all.
Thanks in advance!

Hello there, it sounds like you covered it all in the UCAS PS. There is no need to fill in he additional ps unless you have some specific and personal to say.
CAO doesn't throw any applications out, they are all passed on to colleges who reject invalid applications. A time stamp is a time stamp!

And UCAS is the one who marks the applications are valid / inalid ? Have you ever seen an Ucas applicatioj that is late marked as valid ? Will it disadvantage an applicant if the time stamp is after 18uk or does the tutor not pay much attention to the time stamp .
Original post by Overses
And UCAS is the one who marks the applications are valid / inalid ? Have you ever seen an Ucas applicatioj that is late marked as valid ? Will it disadvantage an applicant if the time stamp is after 18uk or does the tutor not pay much attention to the time stamp .

UCAS stamps the time and then delivers the application to CAO. CAO delivers a fresh batch each day to the colleges with the previous day's applications. It tells us when it has delivered the last batch of applications before the 18.00 deadline. Applications continue to be delivered to UCAS, CAO and colleges after this point but they are rejected as invalid by colleges.
Original post by Overses

I think you are misunderstanding the word "valid". UCAS is saying the application is valid in the sense that it is a completed application. It's then up to Cambridge, or the college, to identify that it is late due to the timestamp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UCAS stamps the time and then delivers the application to CAO. CAO delivers a fresh batch each day to the colleges with the previous day's applications. It tells us when it has delivered the last batch of applications before the 18.00 deadline. Applications continue to be delivered to UCAS, CAO and colleges after this point but they are rejected as invalid by colleges.

Will my college automatically reject my application as invalid if it is a few minutes late? Should I try emailing my college and explaining my circumstances or will it be rejected no matter what ? What should I do please advise .
(edited 7 years ago)
We actually had quite a discussion about the length of the booklet! :smile: Our assessment was that most students write around 4 sides of A4 in an hour in tripos exams. Given the reading you will have to do in he assessment for section 2, you will be writing for less than an hour so 4 sides should be sufficient for the majority of students. Making it 8 sides allows for those who write more and for those who write double-spaced.

Thanks so much, this has really reassured me as I actually wrote four pages when I did the specimen paper the other day (in timed conditions)! :h:
Original post by jneill
noting that the photo will be used on their University Card for the duration of the course, so make it a good one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg, please no, why wasnt this mentioned :cry::cry:my SAQ pic is absolutely horrific
Hi there, I've recently submitted my application to Cambridge for History and French, but I've been stressing a bit over my personal statement. I've made it roughly 50-50 on academics and extra-curricular (because I just didn't want to cut it!). Am I likely to reach interview or will this harm my application in any way?
Thanks very much in advance
Original post by Strimpy
Hi sorry to ask another question in such quick succession, it's about the HAA again

How much are applicants expected to write for section 2, I know there are 8 pages given but I'm a bit worried I won't be able to produce that much given the time limit plus the amount of points I can actually think of. Will you get penalised for not writing enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So glad you asked both your questions - I was literally wondering exactly the same things! And glad it's only 4 sides as that's definitely all I can write in the time - thanks Dr Spencer for clearing these questions up:smile:
Original post by Overses
Will my college automatically reject my application as invalid if it is a few minutes late? Should I try emailing my college and explaining my circumstances or will it be rejected no matter what ? What should I do please advise .

The advice given to colleges is that all late applications are to be rejected unless there are exceptional circumstances beyond the applicant's control and those of the referee (as in, one year, an applicant's school burnt down the day of the deadline and the referee could not complete the application).

I'm afraid that deadlines are there for a reason and I fear that, unless your application was stamped by UCAS before 18.00 on 15th it will be invalid. You need to hope that it makes it into those last valid applications CAO sends to your college.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Strimpy
Thanks so much, this has really reassured me as I actually wrote four pages when I did the specimen paper the other day (in timed conditions)! :h:

No problem, you're welcome and sorry about the photo!
Original post by MCPClark
Hi there, I've recently submitted my application to Cambridge for History and French, but I've been stressing a bit over my personal statement. I've made it roughly 50-50 on academics and extra-curricular (because I just didn't want to cut it!). Am I likely to reach interview or will this harm my application in any way?
Thanks very much in advance

Hello and thanks for your question. You won't be called to interview or not on the basis of your personal statement alone. We'll make a judgement based on all the information we have about your application before deciding on whether to give you an interview. Rest assured, however, that c.80% of applicants do get an interview.

Most personal statements will focus more heavily on academics than yours but simple quantity isn't the only thing, as important or even more so is the quality of what you have written and the ideas you are putting forward. For us, the personal statement is perhaps less important than at other universities as we have the opportunity to interview you.

Latest

Trending

Trending