OCR Economics Synoptic 2888 June 09 - YOUR GAME PLAN?! Watch

Hanoi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Pink Liquid)
Oh wow! I see what you mean now .. yes, I would want to hurl myself out the window if I were you. I suppose they may or may not let you in? LSE I don't think so...but Bath (to protect their reputation, and to not want to go into clearing etc.)...although, all unis give out more places than stated. It's hard to say.

You may just marginally scrape an A depending on how well you have done on other modules. However, ideally .. you should have answered all questions on this paper!

Congrats on your LSE offer anyway .. whether or not you do or do not make it. I would kill for that offer, and sooo many people apply but don't even get an offer.
That really helps!

I don't think Bath will be lenient, I made them my insurance afterall, they aren't going to look at my app kindly.

Anyway after thining about it more rationally I think I will be ok, as long as I don't get below a mid-C then I'm good to go. I did answer all the questions, it's just the data analysis one I didn't get to finish since I was carried away by writing too much for the big questions

I feel ashamed to have got offers when I know people who are much more hard working than me and get much better grades than me yet they have rejections. :ninja:
Hrov
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well i thought that i aced the exam, until i came on here.

For the subsidy i wrote a lot, but thought the question was basically asking is it right for the Gov to increase the incentive to produce biofuels - please tell me this is correct!

And i got carried away with the last question, i basically just wrote everything about ETS, problems with it and discussion - use a carbon tax with/without ets. I also drew a market failure diagram with the tax making the new price and qauntity that of social optimum.
I basically assumed that it was obvious that the negatve externality was the co2 emissions and didnt really state that, have a lost lots of marks on these questions????
Init4Beans
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The subsidy question was definitley about the case for and against governments using subsidies for the production of energy crops and the effects they will have. Read the question about 3 times to make sure i was answering it right.
Pink Liquid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hanoi)
That really helps!

I don't think Bath will be lenient, I made them my insurance afterall, they aren't going to look at my app kindly.

Anyway after thining about it more rationally I think I will be ok, as long as I don't get below a mid-C then I'm good to go. I did answer all the questions, it's just the data analysis one I didn't get to finish since I was carried away by writing too much

I feel ashamed to have got offers when I know people who are much more hard working than me and get much better grades than me yet they have rejections. :ninja:
Lol...a little honestly is no harm!
I agree with you .. putting a uni as insurance is like an 'insult' to them. A friend of mine didn't get into their insurance through begging. I think someone who didn't make the grades but had put them as Firm, would be considered more favourably.
Never mind .. there's always clearing, and if the worst comes .. Take a year out and re-apply. It's never too late to go to uni, and 1 year later isn't much.
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nick-33)
That's good to know
I'm waiting to hear what vinsta wrote! Whatever he writes goes

If this question is the downfall of my economics a level i will be sooo annoyed.
I talked about subsidies specifically. Drew the diagram, area of subsidy on the diagram, said this is opp. cost. Said Crutzer's view. But yeah I chose to focus on subsidies than the whole question. I think the examiners won't mind either way.

Is this correct?:
The subsidy will cause the MPC to shift to the left increasing the area of the market failure.
Hrov
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Init4Beans)
The subsidy question was definitley about the case for and against governments using subsidies for the production of energy crops and the effects they will have. Read the question about 3 times to make sure i was answering it right.
lol this still isnt clear (not you, the actual question)
what sort of stuff did you write. If i did it wrong then **** **** ****
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hrov)
lol this still isnt clear (not you, the actual question)
what sort of stuff did you write. If i did it wrong then **** **** ****
The question made no references to cases for and against energy crops, but it asked whether subsidies should be used to increase supply of energy crops.
Hrov
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vinsta)
The question made no references to cases for and against energy crops, but it asked whether subsidies should be used to increase supply of energy crops.
im not syaing your wrong (probs i am)
but
a) wasnt it a 15 mark question - I know I couldnt write this much on whether subsidies are effectiv
b) I still interporate it as subsidies being an incentive, so should the farmers be given an incentive to produce biofuels - there is much more to write

Looking at how much revision you seem to have done you are proberbly right, meaning I have proberbly just ****** my uni choice up
Jat90
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hrov)
but
a) wasnt it a 15 mark question - I know I couldnt write this much on whether subsidies are effectiv
b) I still interporate it as subsidies being an incentive, so should the farmers be given an incentive to produce biofuels - there is much more to write

Looking at how much revision you seem to have done you are proberbly right, meaning I have proberbly just ****** my uni choice up
I think you did the same as me? (last post pg32)
Hrov
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Jat90)
I think you did the same as me? (last post pg32)
:yep: but it doesnt yet make it right

Would it be possible to request the OCR toolkit people to give a response to this question
Rob_dob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hrov)
but

The feedback from my class mates is that there' about a 50/50 split who answered that q on pros and cons of biofuels and on the case for a subsidy, and TSR is roughly along the same lines from what I've read. They're not going to fail 50% of candidates on that q because they interpreted an open and almost vague question differently. I'm pretty sure they'll take answers along both lines. I did analysis of subsidies but did my evaluation on the pros and cons of biofuels. If it were purely on subsidies it would be in the realms of 2862 which is hardly a synoptic module. So you have nothing to worry about
Hrov
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rob_dob)
The feedback from my class mates is that there' about a 50/50 split who answered that q on pros and cons of biofuels and on the case for a subsidy, and TSR is roughly along the same lines from what I've read. They're not going to fail 50% of candidates on that q because they interpreted an open and almost vague question differently. I'm pretty sure they'll take answers along both lines. I did analysis of subsidies but did my evaluation on the pros and cons of biofuels. If it were purely on subsidies it would be in the realms of 2862 which is hardly a synoptic module. So you have nothing to worry about
I hope your right
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Rob_dob)
Evaluation could be that subsidies increase land use for energy crops and thus reduce the land for food raising prices, impacting on poor people etc. That is related to the case study and is not 2882.
Rodelero
Report 9 years ago
I don't think the question is difficult to interpret at all. Both of the angles people here have looked at DO answer the questions. The question doesn't ask: Discuss the effectiveness of subsidies in encouraging the production of energy costs. The question asks, comment on the case. The case for whether they should be encouraged has not been answered for you.

Ideally? I'd wanted to have worked BOTH angles into my answer. Both the angle about whether we should encourage their use, AND, whether subsidies are a good way of doing it.

Anyone saying that it's so narrow is wrong. I'm not saying that OCR will see it that way - they are irreverent as hell - but the question is easily interpretable in either way. Neither are incorrect. I don't think solely going one way or t'other will be a good answer.
pavail123
Report 9 years ago
effects of subsidy ...diagram was definately needed.... shift of supply to the right..... i talked about... poor information and political interference.. when deciding subsidies.. also subsidies wil provide a incentive for farmers as a income.. to produce energy crops..... i also mentionedd.. floods and droughts... this may lead to further government failure as energy crops may not be efficiest in the long run and may not be competetive with petrol and oil.,.... i also talked about..motoring lobby..and pressure groupps... thats why government may choose t pay farmers....

inda disadvantages talked about.... how it wil have a oppurtunity cost... as it will lead to increase in prices for food if farmers are producing biofuels instead of foood.. therefore increase in prices... and with increase in global demand for food from countries such as...brazi...india....china....a nd russia........ also mentioned how... subsidies will take substantial budget of government,.... which may also have a oppurtunity cost.. and may cause trade offs and political trauma.......

what do u guys think.. ok answer????

oh i drew a negative externality diagram....with a effect of subsidiy onto consumers.... ....

how did u all do.. paper was okk werent it....it was similar to mock paper... well hal of mock paper was sme as dis one.... haha howw ironic........

thank u jim riley i love u old man.. u have possible got me a A or a B
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by pavail123)
effects of subsidy ...diagram was definitely needed.... shift of supply to the right..... i talked about... poor information and political interference.. when deciding subsidies.. also subsidies wil provide a incentive for farmers as a income.. to produce energy crops..... i also mentionedd.. floods and droughts... this may lead to further government failure as energy crops may not be efficiest in the long run and may not be competetive with petrol and oil.,.... i also talked about..motoring lobby..and pressure groupps... thats why government may choose t pay farmers....

inda disadvantages talked about.... how it wil have a oppurtunity cost... as it will lead to increase in prices for food if farmers are producing biofuels instead of foood.. therefore increase in prices... and with increase in global demand for food from countries such as...brazi...india....china....a nd russia........ also mentioned how... subsidies will take substantial budget of government,.... which may also have a oppurtunity cost.. and may cause trade offs and political trauma.......

what do u guys think.. ok answer????

oh i drew a negative externality diagram....with a effect of subsidiy onto consumers.... ....

how did u all do.. paper was okk werent it....it was similar to mock paper... well hal of mock paper was sme as dis one.... haha howw ironic........

thank u jim riley i love u old man.. u have possible got me a A or a B
What did you do for your externality diagram?
BJP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by xbuttercupx)
Disappointed tariffs didn't come up though!
They sort of did. When evaluating about the Russian maximum price thing I said dropping tariffs would be a better measure as done in the EU (even had time to whack the tariff graph in lol).
BJP
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vinsta)
For subsidies I just did a shift to the right in supply. Is this OK?

I also put another graph in that question - showing: S=assuming zero/negligible external costs and then a shift to the left: S=MSC based on Crutzen's view. But that's besides the point lol.
ND6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hanoi)
I think they are less generous with diagrams on 2888. On the AS modules you could easily get 5 marks for a diagram (ie you get marks for labelling it correctly etc) but on 2888 paper I think they want more.

Hope it won't be too bad, I'm dreading results day.
how about if u get the diagram wrong? will you lose marks or will they kind of ignore it but not really e.g. i drew demand shifting to the right for the negative externality diagram but still wrote over cons/prod underneath. Also for the ETS diagram i didnt draw the supply curves as vertical. but just as inelastic supply curves. Will i lose marks or simply not get given them.
vinsta
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BJP)
For subsidies I just did a shift to the right in supply. Is this OK?

I also put another graph in that question - showing: S=assuming zero/negligible external costs and then a shift to the left: S=MSC based on Crutzen's view. But that's besides the point lol.
Yeah same for subsidies.

i showed a shift to the right in MPC to increase market failure.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?