The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks

Did I do the right thing?

How are we to know? We know nothing about your life. :redface: Only you can make that decision.
So it's official. I had my final observation and grading yesterday and will finish with outstanding. I am very pleased and it may sound ungrateful but I'm sad at the same time. It appears I'm good at a career I don't want to go into. I have no idea what to do come September. I may have a go at supply. Who knows.

I have ten teaching days left and it's hard to keep up the effort when the grading part is done. So tempting to stick on films and make posters :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
So it's official. I had my final observation and grading yesterday and will finish with outstanding. I am very pleased and it may sound ungrateful but I'm sad at the same time. It appears I'm good at a career I don't want to go into. I have no idea what to do come September. I may have a go at supply. Who knows.

I have ten teaching days left and it's hard to keep up the effort when the grading part is done. So tempting to stick on films and make posters :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! Don't rush into things. Take your time in deciding what you want to do, and if you don't want to do it, that's fine. Nobody can accuse you of making the decision because you were forced into it. You've proved you can do it.

Oh, and sticking on videos and making posters is exactly what professional teachers do at the end of term.
Sticking on videos and making posters is NOT what professional teachers do at the end of term, if that is what you believe I am disappointed that after a year in training you still think this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Grant2007
Sticking on videos and making posters is NOT what professional teachers do at the end of term, if that is what you believe I am disappointed that after a year in training you still think this...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid it's what I and all my colleagues do at the end of term, and that's after 3 decades in the job. Sorry, but the idealism does tend to fade after a bit.
After 30 years I Still don't think sitting through hours of video is the way to go... Yes my class will watch a film but they they love quizzes, team games, music activities...all the things that are squeezed out if the timetable most of the year and are valuable learning experiences!

Two weeks of DVDs is really not teaching..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Juichiro
How are we to know? We know nothing about your life. :redface: Only you can make that decision.

I'm still struggling with the concept of "me" time as a teacher. Just wanted a bit of reassurance that i'm not being hysterical about my leg and that I'm actually justified in my decision.

Original post by Airfairy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! It's tempting at the end isn't it? I have 7 teaching days left plus 2 observation days and one primary day.

I can't believe I'm almost at the end already. I don't know my grading yet though. Well jealous of yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile
After 30 years I Still don't think sitting through hours of video is the way to go... Yes my class will watch a film but they they love quizzes, team games, music activities...all the things that are squeezed out if the timetable most of the year and are valuable learning experiences!

Two weeks of DVDs is really not teaching..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you qualified, or training at present? Also, secondary or primary?
Teaching, primary. Mentor to students and NQTs as well.

Not being controversial but I really don't use films at the end of term as there is loads of other stuff out there to use. Also...a student who resorted to using films and posters after their final observation would not pass the course where I work to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teaching, primary. Mentor to students and NQTs as well.

Not being controversial but I really don't use films at the end of term as there is loads of other stuff out there to use. Also...a student who resorted to using films and posters after their final observation would not pass the course where I work to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you have made your point. If, at the end of term, I choose to show my GCSE class the film version of the book they have been working their socks off on for the last term, I have the right to do so. I find that this has been judged an acceptable way of ending the term by heads of department and head teachers for as long as there have been DVDs, and I shall be doing it this year as usual. Sorry if this offends you. The situation for trainees is rather different, but one film is not going to ruin an entire year's work for any class or teacher.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I think you have made your point. If, at the end of term, I choose to show my GCSE class the film version of the book they have been working their socks off on for the last term, I have the right to do so. I find that this has been judged an acceptable way of ending the term by heads of department and head teachers for as long as there have been DVDs, and I shall be doing it this year as usual. Sorry if this offends you. The situation for trainees is rather different, but one film is not going to ruin an entire year's work for any class or teacher.

Totally agree! I could understand the issue if it was irrelevant films for the last few weeks of term but if I want to show my classes a film that's related to the topic we've been doing then I will. Think I'll watch Schindler's List with my y8!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by outlaw-torn
Totally agree! I could understand the issue if it was irrelevant films for the last few weeks of term but if I want to show my classes a film that's related to the topic we've been doing then I will. Think I'll watch Schindler's List with my y8!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Common practice in the RS department at my school also. The kids get a lot from it.
Related films ... That would be fine. The earlier post implied otherwise! I might read a book and watch the film too...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jeez, it was an off the wall comment. Not to be taken seriously!
I've never watched a film on my course yet but my department use them a lot. Well films and documentaries. I'm doing R.E. so there's a lot of relevant material. However, sorry to disappoint but I'm afraid I will most likely be spending two lessons watching a film related to animal rights with my year 10s. I just feel it is something that they will benefit from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree that will be beneficial for them. Obviously Internet forums are hard to hear a tone of voice someone uses.

I am delighted you have done so well, and also glad we don't have all this grading nonsense for observations North of the border! Good luck in your future career. You should Perdue your teaching career. Do not give up! Keep applying when good jobs you want come up for advert. If nothing comes up straight away, don't panic and just apply for anything. Supply is useful for gaining experience and gets you known in different schools.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stuck in a job related situation. Three jobs to apply for - one about 35 minutes journey by train, one 15 minutes away from my partner's workplace but then there's another that is an absolute ideal location and sounds the most interesting.

The first two are good but the last is better. So of course the last one has a deadline a week longer than the others and will probably interview while I'm away for the week.

Job hunting sucks immensely.
I agree that will be beneficial for them. Obviously Internet forums are hard to hear a tone of voice someone uses.

I am delighted you have done so well, and also glad we don't have all this grading nonsense for observations North of the border! Good luck in your future career. You should Perdue your teaching career. Do not give up! Keep applying when good jobs you want come up for advert. If nothing comes up straight away, don't panic and just apply for anything. Supply is useful for gaining experience and gets you known in different schools.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My uni are actually quite good for grading. We only do it three times across the PGCE - our weekly observations are not graded. I know for a fact that our other local PGCE provider grades everything they possibly can. Would be nice not to have to think about it though!

I'm still thinking about teaching and seeing what comes up. There has been a couple of okay sounding posts recently but they are interviewing whilst I'm on holiday. I didn't really think about that when I went to book early to save money. However, they aren't posts that I am devastated I'll miss out on. There are certain places and subjects that I am hoping don't advertise to interview whilst I'm away!

Thanks.
ParadoxSocks...just apply and take it from there. In Scotland it is really common for teachers to accept a job but then turn it down when they are offered a better one the following week. Schools seem to accept it here and often re-call previous applicants for re-interview! The jobs are pretty fluid until the second week of our new term in August!

Posted from TSR Mobile
We don't use Ofsted criteria at my training provider and our university doesn't give us a grade - we are constantly assessed and have a final report for each placement with the standards and high/good/minimum/on track/unsatisfactory and our final grade is based off this report.

Found out I'll be qualifying with a 'high' grade but, I don't think it really means anything... surely being an outstanding/good trainee is different to being those things as a teacher?

curious to see how I deal with the transition from training to NQT in a few weeks..
Samus2. That is so true. Good luck in your NQT year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending