Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last day of enrichment at my placement school and I had to leave during the first lesson to throw up in the loos, I've been trying to work through this flu but its absolutely killing me. I have a presentation at uni for my final assignment tomorrow and god knows what state I'm going to be in. Have come home to sleep and just hope I have some sort of working brain to survive the day tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Ofsted lady wasn't too bad. Her feedback was good. She did grill me a bit on why there's not a section for AfL on my lesson plan, as to which I told her because it's the uni lesson plan so it's their fault :dontknow:

11 teaching days...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know where I can find my DfES/TRN number online? Or who to contact? Urgent!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sampaa)
    Anyone know where I can find my DfES/TRN number online? Or who to contact? Urgent!

Thanks!
    You should have received a letter soon after starting the PGCE with the TRN number on. You also get a QTS certificate and an NQT certificate (now both online, not hard copy) with it on.

Apparently you need to contact capita if you don't have these and want to find out:
    http://www.tesfaq.co.uk/gtce

However, I'd try your uni first... They probably have a record of them (I'd have thought they're needed to confirm your QTS) which they may be able to share with you.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I managed two days on crutches but I couldn't go in today. I have no reason to except for a one hour lesson to supervise a sixth former. My arms are all sore and bruised from my crutches and everything sucks

Did I do the right thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I managed two days on crutches but I couldn't go in today. I have no reason to except for a one hour lesson to supervise a sixth former. My arms are all sore and bruised from my crutches and everything sucks

Of course. You have to look out for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Ofsted lady wasn't too bad. Her feedback was good. She did grill me a bit on why there's not a section for AfL on my lesson plan, as to which I told her because it's the uni lesson plan so it's their fault :dontknow:

11 teaching days...
    Me and oftsed had a chat over tea and biscuits. I did get grilled however.But hey, tea and biscuits and a chance to finally meet an inspector was a good experience overall and I learnt a lot :-)

ReputationRep:

Of course:

1. Your own health and wellbeing is important!

2. If you had gone in you'd have likely made it worse, which is not good for the pupils/school either. If at any point while you're recovering you need a day off you should take it, as it will be helpful in the long run. Three full days of rest will hopefully help a lot.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

How are we to know? We know nothing about your life. Only you can make that decision.

ReputationRep:
    So it's official. I had my final observation and grading yesterday and will finish with outstanding. I am very pleased and it may sound ungrateful but I'm sad at the same time. It appears I'm good at a career I don't want to go into. I have no idea what to do come September. I may have a go at supply. Who knows.

I have ten teaching days left and it's hard to keep up the effort when the grading part is done. So tempting to stick on films and make posters

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So it's official. I had my final observation and grading yesterday and will finish with outstanding. I am very pleased and it may sound ungrateful but I'm sad at the same time. It appears I'm good at a career I don't want to go into. I have no idea what to do come September. I may have a go at supply. Who knows.

I have ten teaching days left and it's hard to keep up the effort when the grading part is done. So tempting to stick on films and make posters

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations! Don't rush into things. Take your time in deciding what you want to do, and if you don't want to do it, that's fine. Nobody can accuse you of making the decision because you were forced into it. You've proved you can do it.

Oh, and sticking on videos and making posters is exactly what professional teachers do at the end of term.

ReputationRep:
    Sticking on videos and making posters is NOT what professional teachers do at the end of term, if that is what you believe I am disappointed that after a year in training you still think this...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grant2007)
    Sticking on videos and making posters is NOT what professional teachers do at the end of term, if that is what you believe I am disappointed that after a year in training you still think this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm afraid it's what I and all my colleagues do at the end of term, and that's after 3 decades in the job. Sorry, but the idealism does tend to fade after a bit.

ReputationRep:
    After 30 years I Still don't think sitting through hours of video is the way to go... Yes my class will watch a film but they they love quizzes, team games, music activities...all the things that are squeezed out if the timetable most of the year and are valuable learning experiences!

Two weeks of DVDs is really not teaching..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    How are we to know? We know nothing about your life. Only you can make that decision.
    I'm still struggling with the concept of "me" time as a teacher. Just wanted a bit of reassurance that i'm not being hysterical about my leg and that I'm actually justified in my decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yay! It's tempting at the end isn't it? I have 7 teaching days left plus 2 observation days and one primary day.

I can't believe I'm almost at the end already. I don't know my grading yet though. Well jealous of yours!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After 30 years I Still don't think sitting through hours of video is the way to go... Yes my class will watch a film but they they love quizzes, team games, music activities...all the things that are squeezed out if the timetable most of the year and are valuable learning experiences!

Two weeks of DVDs is really not teaching..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you qualified, or training at present? Also, secondary or primary?

ReputationRep:
    Teaching, primary. Mentor to students and NQTs as well.

Not being controversial but I really don't use films at the end of term as there is loads of other stuff out there to use. Also...a student who resorted to using films and posters after their final observation would not pass the course where I work to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Teaching, primary. Mentor to students and NQTs as well.

Not being controversial but I really don't use films at the end of term as there is loads of other stuff out there to use. Also...a student who resorted to using films and posters after their final observation would not pass the course where I work to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you have made your point. If, at the end of term, I choose to show my GCSE class the film version of the book they have been working their socks off on for the last term, I have the right to do so. I find that this has been judged an acceptable way of ending the term by heads of department and head teachers for as long as there have been DVDs, and I shall be doing it this year as usual. Sorry if this offends you. The situation for trainees is rather different, but one film is not going to ruin an entire year's work for any class or teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    I think you have made your point. If, at the end of term, I choose to show my GCSE class the film version of the book they have been working their socks off on for the last term, I have the right to do so. I find that this has been judged an acceptable way of ending the term by heads of department and head teachers for as long as there have been DVDs, and I shall be doing it this year as usual. Sorry if this offends you. The situation for trainees is rather different, but one film is not going to ruin an entire year's work for any class or teacher.
    Totally agree! I could understand the issue if it was irrelevant films for the last few weeks of term but if I want to show my classes a film that's related to the topic we've been doing then I will. Think I'll watch Schindler's List with my y8!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Totally agree! I could understand the issue if it was irrelevant films for the last few weeks of term but if I want to show my classes a film that's related to the topic we've been doing then I will. Think I'll watch Schindler's List with my y8!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Common practice in the RS department at my school also. The kids get a lot from it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.