Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SabreT)
    This. I've only been in medical school 28 days and I'm finding anatomy terribly tough. And Cambridge is apparently one of the best for anatomy teaching. Does every medical school make you learn everything apart from neuroanatomy in 1st year? It seems to move too fast to actually take anything in
    I did alll of anatomy in two terms in first year. Thankfully my medical school have changed the course structure since then. It didn't seem too bad at the time (and I kind of liked that we did it all in one go rather than dragging it out over several years) but I don't know as much anatomy now as I wish I did, as it mostly got forgotten after first year exams.

ReputationRep:
    This. I've only been in medical school 28 days and I'm finding anatomy terribly tough. And Cambridge is apparently one of the best for anatomy teaching. Does every medical school make you learn everything apart from neuroanatomy in 1st year? It seems to move too fast to actually take anything in
    We learned anatomy over a course of 2 years. First year we covered cardio, resp, GI. Technically did most of the anatomy blew through most of anatomy in 2nd year. It was an incredible pain to learn anatomy for exams...feel like I've forgotten stuff already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    I did alll of anatomy in two terms in first year. Thankfully my medical school have changed the course structure since then. It didn't seem too bad at the time (and I kind of liked that we did it all in one go rather than dragging it out over several years) but I don't know as much anatomy now as I wish I did, as it mostly got forgotten after first year exams.
    :zomg:

How is that even possible? Was it just like pure anatomy for the first two terms?

(Original post by magichearts)
    We learned anatomy over a course of 2 years. First year we covered cardio, resp, GI. Technically did most of the anatomy blew through most of anatomy in 2nd year. It was an incredible pain to learn anatomy for exams...feel like I've forgotten stuff already.
    I can already tell that I'm going to forget anatomy after first year. Thats if I learn enough to get past first year. I look at grays thinking 'how on earth am I going to remember all this' :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:

How is that even possible? Was it just like pure anatomy for the first two terms?
    2 hours prosection, 2 hours looking at models/diagrams/other stuff and an hour tutorial each week, IIRC. Alongside cardio, resp and GI systems in health, and community course (GP/sociology). Now I realise why there was a week in November nicknamed 'suicide week', when how much there was to learn suddenly hit you...

ReputationRep:
    ^ That's disgusting. re. Imperial: Year 1 = Thorax, Abdomen & Pelvis; Year 2 = Limbs, Head, Neck & Spine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I did all of anatomy in one year. I've forgotten most of it now.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    ^ That's disgusting. re. Imperial: Year 1 = Thorax, Abdomen & Pelvis; Year 2 = Limbs, Head, Neck & Spine.
    Ditto for King's!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Syncope)
    Second year is a massive slog - you just have to keep ploughing on. It feels never-ending but just keep focusing on the fact that once it's over, you have the much-more-interesting clinical years to look forward to.
    Thanks. It literally is feeling so long already and we've only just finished the anatomy! How's final year going? If you dont mind me asking- did you intercalate?

ReputationRep:
    I loathe anatomy. It is all tubing and squishy bits to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Has anyone got access to this paper please?

Why does bone matrix contain non-collagenous proteins? The possible roles of osteocalcin, osteonectin, osteopontin and bone sialoprotein in bone mineralisation and resorption. Roach, Cell Biology International (1994) 18, 617–628
    Hi

Managed to get it. Have saved the pdf so I'll send you a pm.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    We learn the anatomy relevant to the specialties/systems that we're learning about that year. Which means that (afaik) we learn some anatomy over all 5 years. Makes it much easier to remember, as it's not all in one go, and it means you can learn what's clinically relevant :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    We learn the anatomy relevant to the specialties/systems that we're learning about that year. Which means that (afaik) we learn some anatomy over all 5 years. Makes it much easier to remember, as it's not all in one go, and it means you can learn what's clinically relevant :yep:
    Yeah that's how we are doing it. It's much less dry and its good for integrating it with clinical knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    May be a more efficient way of learning. Much better suited to a spiral course though. Not completely knowing systemic anatomy until final year = even more cumulative abuse from consultants about how little anatomy I know.

(and we still learn what's clinically relevant! )

But having said it's an efficient way of learning, I'm not sure it's necessarily the best way. Arguably learning (and maybe forgetting...) it all together makes you appreciate the body as one fluid, interdependent jigsaw, rather than adding one detailed piece at a time. Arguably this is BS.

*An epiphanic (and rather simplistic) aside from earlier this term: I'm on a resp firm, but so many causes of respiratory disease/failure are non-specific to resp. Looking at the whole picture was a recurrent theme in pre-clinical. However, major tunnel-vision to begin with!

ReputationRep:
    May be a more efficient way of learning. Much better suited to a spiral course though. Not completely knowing systemic anatomy until final year = even more cumulative abuse from consultants about how little anatomy I know.

(and we still learn what's clinically relevant! )

But having said it's an efficient way of learning, I'm not sure it's necessarily the best way. Arguably learning (and maybe forgetting...) it all together makes you appreciate the body as one fluid, interdependent jigsaw, rather than adding one detailed piece at a time. Arguably this is BS.

*An epiphanic (and rather simplistic) aside from earlier this term: I'm on a resp firm, but so many causes of respiratory disease/failure are non-specific to resp. Looking at the whole picture was a recurrent theme in pre-clinical. However, major tunnel-vision to begin with!
    it was?

ReputationRep:
    Lulz, I thought so! A few big dawg lecturers mentioned it, and it stuck with me. They also emphasised it when they said they could drop content into exams that wasn't module-specific.

ReputationRep:
    Lulz, I thought so! A few big dawg lecturers mentioned it, and it stuck with me. They also emphasised it when they said they could drop content into exams that wasn't module-specific.
    I must have been asleep at that point :p:

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I hear you on the ?not learning what I think I should be/as much as I think I should be btw, and just not knowing how to spend my time in general. Though I'm getting better at knowing when to hang around and when to go home and K&C it (as opposed to doing nothing).

/MDT essay procrastination

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I hear you on the ?not learning what I think I should be/as much as I think I should be btw. Though I'm getting better at knowing when to hang around and when to go home and K&C it.

/MDT essay procrastination
    K&C is collecting dust.

I have written 1k words. haven't bothered with reflection yet so have about 500 words to play with writting up examinations.

I like hanging around...I find most of my learning happens after half 4 so leaving early means you miss these things. (plus being helpful to my F1/SHOs means they teach me)

ReputationRep:
    We learn the anatomy relevant to the specialties/systems that we're learning about that year.
    To be fair I think that's a general theme amongst most schools.

Which means that (afaik) we learn some anatomy over all 5 years. Makes it much easier to remember, as it's not all in one go, and it means you can learn what's clinically relevant :yep:
    I suspect, whether intended or not, I'll also learn some anatomy in all five years based on the minimal, insufficient amount I know now!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I suspect, whether intended or not, I'll also learn some anatomy in all five years based on the minimal, insufficient amount I know now!
    You know what I meant :grumble: It means that not all the anatomy I need to know is crammed into the first 1 or 2 years :hmpf:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.