Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    No it isn't. I can use long words and make you think I'm intelligent but that would be deceptive.

Well yes there are. Intelligence in linguistics. Intelligence in electronics. Two entirely different things...

Oh sorry. Did I attack the great Oxbridge ones? A range can be different areas of mathematics, or different subjects entirely. If you're only good at one tiny tiny tiny thing, it's not intelligence.

Perfection? Not really. No one is perfect, yet there are many who fit that description.
    That is intelligence. I didn't know what the word "temerity" was until a couple of hours ago. Bet most Oxbridge graduates know what it means.

OK.

OK.

Disagree. Would I even go as far as saying that attending Oxbridge is a prerequisite of perfection? Nah, that's pushing it, but my respect for someone immediately goes up if they went to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Edexcel have made so many lies, they can rival the Lib Dem's manifesto of 2010.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnZ0Y4rvz6E

As someone with a Cambridge offer I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Most of the undergrads I met when I went for my interview were wildly immature. It might be different for your subject but, for many disciplines, applicants couldn't care less about the academic side of things: they want a job and the respect of receiving an offer. The latter is why I applied.

Tbh, it sounds like you do, too. Like an approval thing? If you're really interested in being this inflated academic character you've created, a lesser university would most likely suit you just fine. Consider that most Oxbridge professors didn't themselves graduate from Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is, especially if you have top degrees from Oxbridge.

Oh please, not the wishy-washy seven intelligences theory. *******s.

Over a range of subjects? I disagree. That discounts quite a few Oxbridgers.

That's perfection, not intelligence.

OK.
    Oxbridge? Pffft. Caltech's better

(Original post by The Financier)
    You were talking about how virtually all Oxbridge students were heavenly and amazing...why suddenly exclude those factors for Nick Griffin? :rolleyes:
    Err, he's an anomaly? Just like an intelligent person coming out of Met for example?

Anomalies do exist.

ReputationRep:
    There's more trolling going on on this thread than in The Three Billy Goats Gruff...

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a **** about Ghandi.

That's because other universities are not concerned about education. They're like businesses.
    Other universities are like businesses ? Lolwut http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-scandal.html

ReputationRep:
    There's definitely some jokes IT guys at edexcel, aqa and OCR all betting on who can hold out the longest. THAT'S THE ONLY WAY IT COULD POSSIBLY TAKE THIS LONG

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But, anyway, your intelligence is NOT determined by attending Oxbridge. Your academic ability and knowledge in a group of academia IS determined by going to Oxbridge.

(Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Nah, i'd just say they spend a lot of time with a dictionary and are good bull****ters. I sometimes do it and people don't pick up on it, it's amazing how little skill it takes and how many people you can fool.
    Love it when people do that. Shows they've got a wide range of vocabulary and an air of sophistication to go with it.

Oh no, PM me anyway, i'd like to hear it Plus it's not just getting As with Cambridge, it's also your UMS. Without trying to scare you, getting AAAA with all your subjects at 85% UMS would be considerably worse than AAAC with 90% in your top 3 (as long as the subject with a C is irrelevant, like it was for me).

A lot of them are, that's the thing. I don't see why it's an issue though - they're still the smartest students in the country as a whole. I think it's probably the fact that they go to Cambridge that impresses you rather than their actual personality. E.g. those amazing Oxbridge students that you know, you wouldn't think of them as being so amazing had they not gone to Oxbridge.
    Oxbridge almost facilitates their impressiveness.

It's difficult to say - I don't want to get into a discussion about this at 1am I'm not even sure myself...
    Oh, ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWiseChick)
    Oh my god.. i have a 13 hour shift at work tomorrow.. FML -.-
    Ive only been told I start work tomorrow night at half 5 so god knows what time their gonna keep me to! Place is open to half 12 Gonna beg to go home at 10!

ReputationRep:
    No, as they're not interested in ideas. Other universities don't facilitate education for the sake of education. I'm sick of universities advertising that they have a high employment rate. That's not the point.

I'm waiting to be proved wrong. I want to meet a non-heavenly recently graduate Oxbridger. Hasn't happened thus far.

Oh and fyi, people from other universities vary a LOT in their intelligence.
    Actuallyyyy, they do too at Oxford, and most likely Cambridge too. When I went for my interview in December, I was waiting outside the room with a fresher who was calming me down and he told me how there was this girl who got in, 4 A*s and all, and he has tutorials with her and she's ridiculously thick. As in he told me how she struggled in every single tutorial she's in - having no idea what was going on. Yeah, she got in, but the guy I spoke to reckons it was because she was taught how to impress at interview.

(Original post by DarkAndTwisty)
    I don't want to get into this debate really, but I do have this to say: whilst Oxbridge graduates often go on to achieve great things, this isn't something that's exclusive to those people. There are plenty of brilliant minds out there who didn't go to Oxbridge, it is not the be all and end all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, Harvard.

But academically - Oxbridge.

(Original post by bunny96)
    At this stage in my life, my main concern is getting into university in the first place
    Not my problem if you find it difficult to get good grades.

ReputationRep:
    lmao just caught up on the past couple of pages, what with all the oxbridge posts. Keep it simple but the harsh reality is every uni is in a class whether it bee the higher class of universities of oxbridge kings etc or the mediocre ones but no uni is outright better than every other

ReputationRep:
    That is intelligence. I didn't know what the word "temerity" was until a couple of hours ago. Bet most Oxbridge graduates know what it means.

OK.

OK.

Disagree. Would I even go as far as saying that attending Oxbridge is a prerequisite of perfection? Nah, that's pushing it, but my respect for someone immediately goes up if they went to Oxbridge.
    But how much is your respect worth? :rolleyes:

(Original post by venenecinema)
    How do you feel about the LSE ranking higher than Oxford in some respected lists?
    Lists are bull****.

ReputationRep:
    Not my problem if you find it difficult to get good grades.
    At least I have green reputation ... lol joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What if we're all relying on someone on TSR telling us the boundaries have been published...

...but none of us are actually checking :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    True, Harvard.

But academically - Oxbridge.
    Yes, because the only people in history who have ever achieved anything great, academically or otherwise, were those who went to Oxbridge or Harvard :rolleyes: I think you need some perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by knowledgecorruptz)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnZ0Y4rvz6E

As someone with a Cambridge offer I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

Most of the undergrads I met when I went for my interview were wildly immature. It might be different for your subject but, for many disciplines, applicants couldn't care less about the academic side of things: they want a job and the respect of receiving an offer. The latter is why I applied.

Tbh, it sounds like you do, too. Like an approval thing? If you're really interested in being this inflated academic character you've created, a lesser university would most likely suit you just fine. Consider that most Oxbridge professors didn't themselves graduate from Oxbridge.
    :lolwut: They've probably applied for the "easier" subjects to get in, or conversely for Economics and PPE. :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.