Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxfordmist)
    I'm guessing noone's heard anything from History yet?
    Hi, I've applied for History at Brasenose, still not heard anything though. It's probably just because they have a lot to look at for History applicants as we have our UCAS, personal statement, HAT and written work. I have a feeling it will be later this week though, next week at the latest, but don't take my word for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxfordmist)
    I'm guessing noone's heard anything from History yet?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post60770055

EDIT: tashanotrab

EDIT.2: Dead link apologies, fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not you)
    I'm not talking about 11A* vs 5A* though, since that can often be attributed to the school or the student not knowing how important GCSEs were, I'm referring to predicted grades of A*AA vs ABB, where there is a significant difference between each grade and shows a much bigger issue than not getting straight A*s. I agree that you can't really say someone with 5A*s is much worse than someone with 11A*s though.
    Leaving aside the fact that someone with predicted grades of ABB is monumentally unlikely to apply, given the standard Oxford offer, you have a touching faith in predictions! Independent schools are far more likely to predict up, while state schools are often quite reticent. There'll be plenty of exceptions of course but given the variations, predictions are best taken with a bucket of salt. Also, provided students meet their offers, I'm not sure why the tutors would care much whether someone notched up two A* rather than one or even none. If you're likely to pass the minimum threshold, they're more interested in the evidence of pre-tests and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge see academic potential as reflected within AS grades and predicted A2s while Oxford look for solid GCSEs and aptitude test performance and performance at interview as markers of potential.

My tutor at Oxford once asked a Cambridge admissions tutor what he would do if a very promising student with slightly lower grades applied. The tutor said 'A-Level grades tell us all we need to know'. My tutor on the other hands looks for perception; a student with an interesting mind that can bring something special to the university and engage in it's intellectual culture. Oxford is more than just grades, personal statements, interviews, and work. It's a lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drumsticks)
    Sure, that's true, I'm just suggesting that people shouldn't assume Oxford are going to be so impressed with an interview and personal statement that they'll miraculously ignore below-than-average AS and predicted grades. Sad truth is, for every course, there is always gonna be someone with a better interview, personal statement, AS and predicted grades. Grades aren't everything, but you don't just put them on the UCAS form for a cheap laugh.
    They won't ignore grades if they think you won't make the offer because that buggers them up. But I don't see why you'd assume that an exceptional interview and pre-test (as opposed to an untested personal statement) wouldn't turn their heads. There are people all over Oxford with Bs or less nestling in their show of grades and it's entirely possible for some pretty dull and uncreative thinkers to get a full house of top grades. That's kind of the point of the interviews and tests....

ReputationRep:
    Cross post with colour theory.

A tutor who has done admissions at both Oxford and Cambridge rates the Oxford system higher, in terms of selecting creative minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irwin)
    They won't ignore grades if they think you won't make the offer because that buggers them up. But I don't see why you'd assume that an exceptional interview and pre-test (as opposed to an untested personal statement) wouldn't turn their heads. There are people all over Oxford with Bs or less nestling in their show of grades and it's entirely possible for some pretty dull and uncreative thinkers to get a full house of top grades. That's kind of the point of the interviews and tests....
    Look don't get me wrong, I completely understand why Oxford uses the interview and aptitude tests, to ascertain who has the most potential to succeed at Oxford without completely relying on grades determined by rote-learning.

The person who I was referring to seemed to think that they would almost certainly be given a place because of their outstanding personal statement and some innate belief that they would 'wow' at interview. Whilst this may be true, Oxford repeatedly state on their website that "those who are predicted less that the standard Oxford offer grades will not normally be invited to interview".

What is more, if you're applying for something like Biochem and are predicted ABB in science-based subjects (for example), surely Oxford would consider that a slightly bit concerning? I agree, whilst A level grades by no means say everything about a candidate's potential, they certainly indicate their ability to work hard, be disciplined, follow instructions, interpret data, and generally show academic potential.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying to Wadham for modern langauages?

ReputationRep:
    Geography?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mille2301)
    Geography?
    Nope haven't heard anything yet, what college are you applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Geography?
    Me! I've got into Brooke's and I've applied St Johns 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeogersReprsent)
    Nope haven't heard anything yet, what college are you applying to?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Keble

ReputationRep:
    Keble
    I'm applying to St cats, how did your TSA go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Geography?
    I've applied to geography at Keble - unfortunately pretty much failed the tsa so I think I'm just waiting for a rejection!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicosdream)
    I've applied to geography at Keble - unfortunately pretty much failed the tsa so I think I'm just waiting for a rejection!
    Hopefully enough people found it hard this year like us!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    !!! Got an interview for Archaeology & Ancient History at Brasenose!! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applied Chemistry at merton ????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somnacin)
    Congratulations...well done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicosdream)
    Same situation, for PPE though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somnacin)
    Well done! That's so awesome!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.