Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Related films ... That would be fine. The earlier post implied otherwise! I might read a book and watch the film too...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Jeez, it was an off the wall comment. Not to be taken seriously!
    I've never watched a film on my course yet but my department use them a lot. Well films and documentaries. I'm doing R.E. so there's a lot of relevant material. However, sorry to disappoint but I'm afraid I will most likely be spending two lessons watching a film related to animal rights with my year 10s. I just feel it is something that they will benefit from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree that will be beneficial for them. Obviously Internet forums are hard to hear a tone of voice someone uses.

I am delighted you have done so well, and also glad we don't have all this grading nonsense for observations North of the border! Good luck in your future career. You should Perdue your teaching career. Do not give up! Keep applying when good jobs you want come up for advert. If nothing comes up straight away, don't panic and just apply for anything. Supply is useful for gaining experience and gets you known in different schools.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Stuck in a job related situation. Three jobs to apply for - one about 35 minutes journey by train, one 15 minutes away from my partner's workplace but then there's another that is an absolute ideal location and sounds the most interesting.

The first two are good but the last is better. So of course the last one has a deadline a week longer than the others and will probably interview while I'm away for the week.

Job hunting sucks immensely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grant2007)
    I agree that will be beneficial for them. Obviously Internet forums are hard to hear a tone of voice someone uses.

I am delighted you have done so well, and also glad we don't have all this grading nonsense for observations North of the border! Good luck in your future career. You should Perdue your teaching career. Do not give up! Keep applying when good jobs you want come up for advert. If nothing comes up straight away, don't panic and just apply for anything. Supply is useful for gaining experience and gets you known in different schools.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My uni are actually quite good for grading. We only do it three times across the PGCE - our weekly observations are not graded. I know for a fact that our other local PGCE provider grades everything they possibly can. Would be nice not to have to think about it though!

I'm still thinking about teaching and seeing what comes up. There has been a couple of okay sounding posts recently but they are interviewing whilst I'm on holiday. I didn't really think about that when I went to book early to save money. However, they aren't posts that I am devastated I'll miss out on. There are certain places and subjects that I am hoping don't advertise to interview whilst I'm away!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    ParadoxSocks...just apply and take it from there. In Scotland it is really common for teachers to accept a job but then turn it down when they are offered a better one the following week. Schools seem to accept it here and often re-call previous applicants for re-interview! The jobs are pretty fluid until the second week of our new term in August!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    We don't use Ofsted criteria at my training provider and our university doesn't give us a grade - we are constantly assessed and have a final report for each placement with the standards and high/good/minimum/on track/unsatisfactory and our final grade is based off this report.

Found out I'll be qualifying with a 'high' grade but, I don't think it really means anything... surely being an outstanding/good trainee is different to being those things as a teacher?

curious to see how I deal with the transition from training to NQT in a few weeks..

ReputationRep:
    Samus2. That is so true. Good luck in your NQT year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ParadoxSocks...just apply and take it from there. In Scotland it is really common for teachers to accept a job but then turn it down when they are offered a better one the following week. Schools seem to accept it here and often re-call previous applicants for re-interview! The jobs are pretty fluid until the second week of our new term in August!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's crazy! Where I trained (East Anglia) that is considered a huge faux pas which can get you in effect blacklisted by heads who heard about it!

In reality I guess it's the teaching sector that's crazy. Most other sectors give you time to decide and are understanding if you have two interviews.

(Original post by Samus2)
    We don't use Ofsted criteria at my training provider and our university doesn't give us a grade - we are constantly assessed and have a final report for each placement with the standards and high/good/minimum/on track/unsatisfactory and our final grade is based off this report.

Found out I'll be qualifying with a 'high' grade but, I don't think it really means anything... surely being an outstanding/good trainee is different to being those things as a teacher?

curious to see how I deal with the transition from training to NQT in a few weeks..
    Don't panic about NQT. You do have more work at school and responsibility, but you also have more freedom. It's exciting to be able to put the ideals you've developed in to practice with your own class! I personally found NQT easier than the PGCE.

My uni did a similar thing. Its handy as you can put that you received (quote the high statement) in your PS, although if you already have a job this may well be replaced by NQT stuff instead by the time you apply for another! But it is good. Yes, its not the same as a fully qualified teacher being rated as high. But it means you've achieved the standards required to pass and gone above and beyond that. This means you almost have a headstart for NQT, which will be the same... You're assessed as an NQT, not a fully qualified teacher.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    That's crazy! Where I trained (East Anglia) that is considered a huge faux pas which can get you in effect blacklisted by heads who heard about it!

In reality I guess it's the teaching sector that's crazy. Most other sectors give you time to decide and are understanding if you have two interviews.

Don't panic about NQT. You do have more work at school and responsibility, but you also have more freedom. It's exciting to be able to put the ideals you've developed in to practice with your own class! I personally found NQT easier than the PGCE.

My uni did a similar thing. Its handy as you can put that you received (quote the high statement) in your PS, although if you already have a job this may well be replaced by NQT stuff instead by the time you apply for another! But it is good. Yes, its not the same as a fully qualified teacher being rated as high. But it means you've achieved the standards required to pass and gone above and beyond that. This means you almost have a headstart for NQT, which will be the same... You're assessed as an NQT, not a fully qualified teacher.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We got told that is a huge faux pas in the education sector... From what I've experienced, it moves very very quickly and education is a very small world!

Oh, I didn't realise that! So obviously with the NQT you still have a mentor and you have the induction period, but, you're still not assessed as a fully qualified teacher - I suppose the point of the NQT is to see where your strengths lie and how you can develop.

Terrified but excited! And I'm getting paid over the summer which is awesome.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a huge no-no in England. I would echo Kpwxx on that front.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow. No way we could do that. Not like I've been in that position, but it is something I've asked about and it's quite clear that would not go down well here...

Yes, it is very true that being an outstanding trainee is very different to being an outstanding teacher. I'm hesitant to mention it in interviews or applications because I don't want to give people too high expectations! I guess it is just a nice boost to my confidence more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    That's a huge no-no in England. I would echo Kpwxx on that front.
    Ditto. Way to never work in that area ever again.

ReputationRep:
    We got told that is a huge faux pas in the education sector... From what I've experienced, it moves very very quickly and education is a very small world!

Oh, I didn't realise that! So obviously with the NQT you still have a mentor and you have the induction period, but, you're still not assessed as a fully qualified teacher - I suppose the point of the NQT is to see where your strengths lie and how you can develop.

Terrified but excited! And I'm getting paid over the summer which is awesome.
    Yep I mean, of course the expectations are higher than for trainees and it is still a steep learning curve, but they do still have to consider the stage you're at in your career, and that you're getting plenty of support etc. It's very similar to the PGCE, with observations and a focus on the teaching standards, as well as actions plans...

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Stuck in a job related situation. Three jobs to apply for - one about 35 minutes journey by train, one 15 minutes away from my partner's workplace but then there's another that is an absolute ideal location and sounds the most interesting.

The first two are good but the last is better. So of course the last one has a deadline a week longer than the others and will probably interview while I'm away for the week.

Job hunting sucks immensely.
    Perhaps the most ideal thing would be to phone them up explaining that you are extremely interested in the post, but that you won't be able to do it then. Ask if you would be able to have the interview earlier?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Think I'll watch Schindler's List with my y8!
    Showing a 15 Certificate film to young children is asking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Several more weeks of teaching to go and then it'll all be over. Kind of weird though that it'll be the end of the course. The PGCE feels so short now that it's already been 7-8 months.

On a different note, a lot of classes in the school I am will be doing assessment this week so there isn't really much opportunities for me to teach. I'm probably going to go to other classes to observe, but it did make me wonder if I'd actually get QTS if I'm missing out on a good 8 hours worth of teaching for that one week. Not really much I can do though.

Realise that every university, mentor expectation, teacher expectation and school will be different but for the last few weeks, what sort of teaching timetable were people doing? At the moment, I feel like I'm still only teaching 50-60% timetable at most (literacy, numeracy and a few topic lessons) due to interviews and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Dreading school tomorrow, I feel over emotional at the moment because of some stuff that happened this weekend, I've been crying all day and the last thing I want to do is to go in tomorrow and have to teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Didn't realise it was a 15. Will find a different one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Good point. I've never shown it myself, so didn't know what certificate it is. I do know that our kids arrive in year 9 having been shown excerpts from it by RS, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.