Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    You know Tottenham's team is pretty strong and can seriously challenge for top 4 even without Bale even though they couldn't do it last season. Who would you take from their team?

For me it'd probably look something like this:

Lloris

Sagna Bossielny Vertonghen Gibbs

Wilshere Dembele

Walcott Cazorla Bale

Giroud

I don't rate Walcott or Lennon tbh but probably cause of my bias towards Arsenal I'd go for Walcott.
    Do people still not rate Walcott? After last season, if there's any player I rate in our squad it's him. If he keeps developing at the rate he has over the past 5 years he'll be worth that 100k a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I've said this many times before, Wenger knows if he fails this season he'll either walk or be sacked. I can see him paying LFC's asking price for Suarez.
    Huh? The board will never sack wenger. Best ever profit making manager.

ReputationRep:
    When you realise that Napoli could be better than you, you know there is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    Do people still not rate Walcott? After last season, if there's any player I rate in our squad it's him. If he keeps developing at the rate he has over the past 5 years he'll be worth that 100k a week.
    I really don't get the whole not rating Walcott thing. I think he's absolutely brilliant. Walcott changes the way a match plays. Against just about anybody, he forces defences back, because they just can't afford to have a lot of room in behind them because he can give them a yard or two (or more) headstart, which means either a gap emerges between defence and midfield or Arsenal get to play mostly in the opposition half, not on the back foot. I know some teams would do that against us regardless of his presence but it's still good.

He scored plenty of goals last season, and certainly comparable to anyone in his position his return in terms of goals and assists was good. And what Birdman said is totally right. He is improving very consistently. Each year there are more goals in his game, and a better final ball. I really think he's a top player now, but because we've had so much hype on him from such a long age we've ignored the fact that he's a very, very good player because we were expecting him to be a truly great player. It's not just posturing that when he stalled on the new deal a raft of top clubs publically declared interest.

I can't think of many Spurs players I'd want in our team. Bale, of course. I actually think Holtby is a quality player. Walker is pretty good at RB, too. I think Bale is off, though. Not common for Real to get to this level of rhetoric and not secure their man. The player wants to go, too. I think that's the end of it.

Steven Gerrard says Liverpool can challenge with "one or two players". Not true. Come to us, Luis...

ReputationRep:
    I've said this many times before, Wenger knows if he fails this season he'll either walk or be sacked. I can see him paying LFC's asking price for Suarez.
    Sack? Never.
    Resign? Possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schichtoe)
    I really don't get the whole not rating Walcott thing. I think he's absolutely brilliant. Walcott changes the way a match plays. Against just about anybody, he forces defences back, because they just can't afford to have a lot of room in behind them because he can give them a yard or two (or more) headstart, which means either a gap emerges between defence and midfield or Arsenal get to play mostly in the opposition half, not on the back foot. I know some teams would do that against us regardless of his presence but it's still good.

He scored plenty of goals last season, and certainly comparable to anyone in his position his return in terms of goals and assists was good. And what Birdman said is totally right. He is improving very consistently. Each year there are more goals in his game, and a better final ball. I really think he's a top player now, but because we've had so much hype on him from such a long age we've ignored the fact that he's a very, very good player because we were expecting him to be a truly great player. It's not just posturing that when he stalled on the new deal a raft of top clubs publically declared interest.

I can't think of many Spurs players I'd want in our team. Bale, of course. I actually think Holtby is a quality player. Walker is pretty good at RB, too. I think Bale is off, though. Not common for Real to get to this level of rhetoric and not secure their man. The player wants to go, too. I think that's the end of it.

Steven Gerrard says Liverpool can challenge with "one or two players". Not true. Come to us, Luis...
    Walcott's an absolute Gem, and an undervalued one at that. He's a player fans don't really appreciate until he's absent - Norwich away 2012 comes to mind. In my opinion he is starting to meet the hype. He's still relatively young, and if he keeps his head down and continues to develop and commits to Arsenal, I reckon he'll break Ian Wright's goal scoring record. Or at the very least challenge it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birdman1234567)
    Walcott's an absolute Gem, and an undervalued one at that. He's a player fans don't really appreciate until he's absent - Norwich away 2012 comes to mind. In my opinion he is starting to meet the hype. He's still relatively young, and if he keeps his head down and continues to develop and commits to Arsenal, I reckon he'll break Ian Wright's goal scoring record. Or at the very least challenge it...
    He was predicted to be a world class winger, he is looking a million miles off that right now. He can score all the goals he wants but unless he improves his dribbling, ball control and passing he won't live up to the hype he had when he was 16-19. Pace and good finishing will only get you so far and I still think hes below players like Pedro/Navas let alone reaching the level of the likes of Bale.

ReputationRep:
    What do people think of Dzeko? If given a regular starting position up front, he could be awesome. I'm sure he'll get at least 20 PL goals. He's better than Giroud for sure - just hasn't had the real chance at City.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Really don't understand why no-one wouldn't want Walcott up front. I think that's his best position, he's such an instinctive finisher (goals v Newcastle and Chelsea last season prove that) and when he plays off the shoulder no-one's catching him. I think whilst he's decent out wide his decision making when in that kind of situation is not always great which is where he get's his fairly inconsistent reputation from.

I think you could challenge for the title if you played him up top, got a new pacy Right Winger and a new CB.

ReputationRep:
    Spurs - Paulinho, Chadli and Soldado

Arsenal - Sanogo

wait, what? Something has to happen soon..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    What do people think of Dzeko? If given a regular starting position up front, he could be awesome. I'm sure he'll get at least 20 PL goals. He's better than Giroud for sure - just hasn't had the real chance at City.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hasn't Pellegrini said he's the first team striker? Not to mention he looks awesome so far in pre season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    Huh? The board will never sack wenger. Best ever profit making manager.
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Sack? Never.
    Resign? Possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like I said if we don't improve Wenger will jump before he's pushed. The board want to spend big, they're just as frustrated as we are about signings. Ivan detached himself and the board from blame with that statement about our transfer funds. If we have a bad season the only person to be blamed is Wenger and rightfully he has to go either he walks or he part company because of his contract . I wouldn't put it past the board to not renew his contract especially if a top manager becomes available towards the end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Really don't understand why no-one wouldn't want Walcott up front. I think that's his best position, he's such an instinctive finisher (goals v Newcastle and Chelsea last season prove that) and when he plays off the shoulder no-one's catching him. I think whilst he's decent out wide his decision making when in that kind of situation is not always great which is where he get's his fairly inconsistent reputation from.

I think you could challenge for the title if you played him up top, got a new pacy Right Winger and a new CB.
    Yes, but he can't be our main striker for the season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Like I said if we don't improve Wenger will jump before he's pushed. The board want to spend big, they're just as frustrated as we are about signings. Ivan detached himself and the board from blame with that statement about our transfer funds. If we have a bad season the only person to be blamed is Wenger and rightfully he has to go either he walks or he part company because of his contract . I wouldn't put it past the board to not renew his contract especially if a top manager becomes available towards the end of the season.
    They're not gonna sack him, not Arsene Wenger at Arsenal. Its like UTD sacking Ferguson - never was gonna happen.

As for him stepping down, I think there's a chance, especially if the going gets difficult during the season.

Personally I think they'll make him a new contract offer and he'll sign - but it'll something short like two, or max three, years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)

He's not all around good enough to play upfront in my opinion. We need somebody who can hold the ball up and bring others into play which Walcott isn't good at. If we played a second striker though, he could do that, but that's kind of what he did last year given his reluctance to stay on the wing.

ReputationRep:
    Walcott would be great in a mid-lower table side which plays on the counter if he were to play next to a big target man.

He'd be able to express his pace a lot more and would have space to make his decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Walcott would be great in a mid-lower table side which plays on the counter if he were to play next to a big target man.

He'd be able to express his pace a lot more and would have space to make his decisions.
    Agree. I think what held him back, and this was more of a problem a few years ago when we played ultra possession football, was that it was easy for the opposition to sit back and not leave any space behind.

In other news our team photo has been postponed until next week. Somebody incoming? :moon: Yeah I'm clutching at straws here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Basiji)
    You know Tottenham's team is pretty strong and can seriously challenge for top 4 even without Bale even though they couldn't do it last season. Who would you take from their team?

For me it'd probably look something like this:

Lloris

Sagna Bossielny Vertonghen Gibbs

Wilshere Dembele

Walcott Cazorla Bale

Giroud

I don't rate Walcott or Lennon tbh but probably cause of my bias towards Arsenal I'd go for Walcott.
    I take Koscielny - Mertesacker over Koscielny - Vertonghen. Vertonghen is too like Vermaelen who doesn't play well with Kos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I take Koscielny - Mertesacker over Koscielny - Vertonghen. Vertonghen is too like Vermaelen who doesn't play well with Kos.
    Vertonghen is better then Mertesacker you can't deny it. Its not a who gels who since there's no way to find out. Its best of the both squads.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly anyone is talking about Podolski, the guy is a beast. Hope he stays fit all season

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.