x
Wow!, joker :drool:
Christien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Seanisonfire)
Going back to the conversation on The Social Network, I found The Social Network interesting because you never really get an understanding of why Mark Zuckerberg did the things he did. Why did he shaft his best friend? Did he get caught up in the hype? And he never gives any real sign that he's in it for the money and glamour. Apart from becoming under the influence of Sean Parker I don't think he really cared for the glamour at all. Though I was reading an article on it and I think the film missed a crucial point that social networks were popping up all over the place in colleges at the time, it wasn't exactly a new idea that the twins had.

I thought the bookends involving Rooney Mara's character made his motive pretty clear. The whole Citizen Kane comparison Fincher and some critics made helps here too; although he wasn't necessarily motivated by a desire to be 'loved', he did want to be appreciated, and saw doing something big and important like Facebook as the best way of attaining that, not necessarily caring who he hurt in the process. The obsessions with the finals clubs and Rooney Mara and the fact that the lawyer lady recognizes his tremendous insecurity and tells him he's 'not an ***hole' out of pity seems to reinforce this, although admittedly it might be too simplistic an explanation.
TheMagicRat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MizzCupcakes)
Yeah, I can understand that he wanted to get out of moderen society and if that was his true intentions then it would have been a great film. I havent read the book so maybe it is different..
(WARNING: this is gonna be a spoiler and I dont know how to create one so bare with me and dont read if u dont want to..)
but in the film they were sorta inclining that reason for him leaving was that he was angry with his parents and how they treated eachother and their children. He was very angry with his father for having another child and being married and his mother being the other woman. He never confronted them but told his sister about it and that they were seen as *******s. When he is out in the road and meets the guy that Vince Vaughn is playing he says that it is because of his parents that he left the society and they showed him how ****ty it could be. In the end of the film he is snapping back and hallucinating/dreaming that he is hugging his parents and all is good. But maybe what he says at the same time about the smile might be contradictory..

anyway I believe that he is selfish because of that, since he didnt think that it would hurt anyone around him when he left. And he kept saying that society was screwed up and he couldnt understand why people were mean to each other. I think that Darwin proved that survival of the fittest means that even in the stone age people could have been mean to each other to survive.. that is why I said u should read psychology if u wanna know that not run away into the wild.

but I also believe that u are right, some people are born in the wrong place at the wrong time, I also think that one should make the best of what u have. He could have lived in the modern world without having to be materialistic. I have been brought up into a family where the marriage of my parents have was an agreement, because my grandparents almost loathed my mother for not being married yet after her thirties. My parents came to the country I live in as fugitives and are trying to give me and my sister the best in the world, an education so that we wont have to experience anything like what they did. The film annoyed me because people in different situations (none which are worse than the other just different) have fought and live in this world without being materialistic. The reason for money is to be able to have a roof over ones head.

Sorry for it being so long, but yeah, somehow now it was easier to express my opinions. and sorry if I seem aggressive, I sincerely dont mean to be.

I also want to say that I can understand why one can be sympathetic with him, I am too but I just think he handled everything wrong. He couldve dealth with his problems and then gone out into the wild.

If I offended anyone, those werent my intentions.

and thanks for the film suggestion
This is the beauty of all art, not just cinema. We are all different so we are going to bring different things to the film and take different things away.

I have read that the film does make more of his personal relationships, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they were slightly exaggerated.

I do like the ideals McCandless held, but perhaps more than that is my fascination with him. I much prefer to read about or watch people who don't live by society's rules and those characters that don't make it clear as to whether they are good or bad. Some of the other guys have been talking about superhero films and though I don't mind some of them I am not a fan because, often, the line between good and bad is clear. I just can't relate to that.

As for McCandless, I think we can all agree that he was naive, but all dreamers are to some extent.

I didn't think you were aggressive and if you were then I don't see anything wrong with that. Aggression shows you're passionate and that's a good thing.
MizzCupcakes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheMagicRat)
This is the beauty of all art, not just cinema. We are all different so we are going to bring different things to the film and take different things away.

I have read that the film does make more of his personal relationships, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they were slightly exaggerated.

I do like the ideals McCandless held, but perhaps more than that is my fascination with him. I much prefer to read about or watch people who don't live by society's rules and those characters that don't make it clear as to whether they are good or bad. Some of the other guys have been talking about superhero films and though I don't mind some of them I am not a fan because, often, the line between good and bad is clear. I just can't relate to that.

As for McCandless, I think we can all agree that he was naive, but all dreamers are to some extent.

I didn't think you were aggressive and if you were then I don't see anything wrong with that. Aggression shows you're passionate and that's a good thing.
Yeah I think you're right..we like watching films were the distinction between good and bad is clear.. I guess that's another reason why I didnt like this film so much I like watching the unreal so that I can dream myself. I didnt like the charachter because he was real, he wasn't perfect he made some good and some bad choices. Even if we'd like to believe that we can achieve a level of perfection we have to accept our mistakes in life and therefore life in general.

Yeah, he was a dreamer, naive and a troubled teenager to be honest..

it's good that you see it in that way, It's better to be on the safe side since I've gotten some replies about taking it easier

discussing it with someone with the opposite and different opinions is always fun because you end up realising something else even though it might not be in agreement

as mentioned before by me... we often analyse and see films/the world through our own eyes with our experiences and feelings which means that we never really achieve an unbiased opinion..
noggins
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cambo211)
My current DVD and game collection at uni. I know it's dismal and some are a bit crap but was a bit bored and though i may as well put it up here :p:

What can people see in it?
Pretty good collection :gthumb: except for Bayformers and Wolverine Origins amongst them.
Guvnor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Just watched 'blood diamond', it was much better than I thought it was, top movie :yy:

Its a pity that some of that kind of stuff in today's world still goes on.
mimimimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
xD I'm sure ITW is a great film and it got critical acclaim yadda yadda yadda but it has been scrutinised, well the man has been for basically being a moron, fair play that he wanted to be one with nature, abandon civilization and all... but seriously did he have like next to no survival training or knowledege at all? At least prep yourself before you go out into a forest with nothing...

He was kinda inspiring, but also a tool. Mini rant over
Yup. He should have been better prepared if he wanted to make a long-term thing of it, especially. He should have known he wouldn't survive very long if he couldn't even tell the difference between a poisonous plant and a non-poisonous one...

That place he goes to with the painted hills and stuff was really cool though (I'd forgotten about that)
mimimimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by auzzieman04)
youll probably think im stupid then cos the main appeal of this film for me was the fact that i could relate to it- ive considered doing what he did and understand the thirst for adventure or something that means more than the monotonous routines of modern life.
I will stick to backpacking holidays though lol
No, I understand that! I'm not criticising the fact he wanted to do what he did, that's all fine and I get that many people would like to just leave civilisation behind. I'm criticising the fact he had no training for what he was doing, and it was fairly obvious he wouldn't have lasted very long doing it how he was.
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lukejoshjedi)
lol most likely, but to be fair to Fincher, it's not the best film he's directed imo. What do you think about what he said? To argue against it, the story of Facebooks' creation is quite poignant and significant to our generation anyway, it's such a culturally huge and seemingly ubiquitous thing now, to have a facebook acc etc so it is a big deal but I get his point
I think it's a pretty archetypal story, about ambition, friendship, betrayal. Sorkin said that had Shakespeare been alive today, he'd have written it. I can't really see where Fincher's coming from too much, I think it speaks more about society than Zodiac does. Maybe he just doesn't like success?
auzzieman04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mimimimi)
No, I understand that! I'm not criticising the fact he wanted to do what he did, that's all fine and I get that many people would like to just leave civilisation behind. I'm criticising the fact he had no training for what he was doing, and it was fairly obvious he wouldn't have lasted very long doing it how he was.
ok then, i still think he was doing quite well for himself, for a while, but your right- more preparation was needed if he really intended on living his life in a forest
lukejoshjedi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Seanisonfire)
Going back to the conversation on The Social Network, I found The Social Network interesting because you never really get an understanding of why Mark Zuckerberg did the things he did. Why did he shaft his best friend? Did he get caught up in the hype? And he never gives any real sign that he's in it for the money and glamour. Apart from becoming under the influence of Sean Parker I don't think he really cared for the glamour at all. Though I was reading an article on it and I think the film missed a crucial point that social networks were popping up all over the place in colleges at the time, it wasn't exactly a new idea that the twins had.
Good points and with Jesse Eisenbergs portrayal of Mark Zuckerberg, you'd think the guy had aspergers syndrome or some sort of personality disorder... I don't think he really does but yeah his intentions do seem a bit clouded in the film, he's portrayed as so un-emotional and closed as a person which was odd to watch
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Watching 'The Terminal' :holmes:
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Four of the five nominees for Best Actor in a Drama at the Golden Globes tonight are nominated for portraying real people, I can't remember that happening before.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really like that film, I think it's one of Tom Hanks best works.

Where's Ape Gone Insane? He needs to get the awards results up.
cambo211
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
I really like that film, I think it's one of Tom Hanks best works.

Where's Ape Gone Insane? He needs to get the awards results up.
I think it's one of Hanks most overlooked films.
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Best go count the results. :K:
The Stig
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Awesome film!

Also didn't know untill after I watched the film that it was loosely based / inspired by a real story - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehran_Karimi_Nasseri :shock:
JellyyBeanyy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pretty late... but I watched 127 hours!!
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
Best go count the results. :K:
You're like the TSR antichrist - say his name and he shall appear. :ninja:

Also, I'm working on setting up a film blog at the moment. Might post the link on here in a bit if it's not awful, although this is the first time I've done anything like this so chances are it might be!
Madjackismad
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
I think it's one of Hanks most overlooked films.
It's also one of Spielberg's most overlooked films.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.6%
No (440)
60.61%
Not really bothered about them (151)
20.8%

Watched Threads