Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Several more weeks of teaching to go and then it'll all be over. Kind of weird though that it'll be the end of the course. The PGCE feels so short now that it's already been 7-8 months.

On a different note, a lot of classes in the school I am will be doing assessment this week so there isn't really much opportunities for me to teach. I'm probably going to go to other classes to observe, but it did make me wonder if I'd actually get QTS if I'm missing out on a good 8 hours worth of teaching for that one week. Not really much I can do though.

Realise that every university, mentor expectation, teacher expectation and school will be different but for the last few weeks, what sort of teaching timetable were people doing? At the moment, I feel like I'm still only teaching 50-60% timetable at most (literacy, numeracy and a few topic lessons) due to interviews and things like that.
    I have two weeks left and I'm on a 13 hour timetable. It is required that we are on at least 12 hours by Easter. I don't know about your uni but my uni wouldn't care if I missed one week of 8 hours. Not much you can do about it if there's assessment.
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Dreading school tomorrow, I feel over emotional at the moment because of some stuff that happened this weekend, I've been crying all day and the last thing I want to do is to go in tomorrow and have to teach.
    Aww, sorry to hear this. It is absolutely awful having to drag yourself in when you are on the edge of tears. However, speaking from experience, normally once you get there and get into lesson to teach, it's quite a good way to forget about it. The idea seems dreadful but you don't feel too bad once you are in the classroom :dontknow: . Seems that way for me sometimes. The worst part would be if you have a free morning where you get chance to think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

Aww, sorry to hear this. It is absolutely awful having to drag yourself in when you are on the edge of tears. However, speaking from experience, normally once you get there and get into lesson to teach, it's quite a good way to forget about it. The idea seems dreadful but you don't feel too bad once you are in the classroom :dontknow: . Seems that way for me sometimes. The worst part would be if you have a free morning where you get chance to think about it.
    I've generally been alright this entire year and have managed to pick myself up but this just feels different... I've got my professional mentor observing me tomorrow too and I need to be on top form. Sigh, you're right though, Hopefully it'll take my mind off it.

Are you okay with time left on the course? Do you have to make up any days? How's the job hunt going/Still thinking about pastoral?

ReputationRep:
    I've generally been alright this entire year and have managed to pick myself up but this just feels different... I've got my professional mentor observing me tomorrow too and I need to be on top form. Sigh, you're right though, Hopefully it'll take my mind off it.

Are you okay with time left on the course? Do you have to make up any days? How's the job hunt going/Still thinking about pastoral?
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I had to make up five days so instead of finishing next Friday I finish the Friday after. I'm not too bothered because that second week is a uni week so I still finish the complete course on the same day.

Job hunt is pretty non-existent! I am looking at pastoral but not much in that regard either. I guess I will end up doing supply for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I need some opinions on this.

I heard nothing back from my complaint about that dodgy college I did my PGCE at so I put one in to the college itself (as I was told I couldn't make a complaint to the department for education until I did that). The course leader basically told the lady dealing with the complaint a pack of lies. I have email conversations with her that prove what she's saying is false; should I send prints creens of these to who is dealing with the complaint?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    I need some opinions on this.

I heard nothing back from my complaint about that dodgy college I did my PGCE at so I put one in to the college itself (as I was told I couldn't make a complaint to the department for education until I did that). The course leader basically told the lady dealing with the complaint a pack of lies. I have email conversations with her that prove what she's saying is false; should I send prints creens of these to who is dealing with the complaint?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would offer to forward or print and send emails, and also say that you would be happy to show any person who was unsure the emails through your account in person, if they wish, to prove they are real. See what they say.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I would offer to forward or print and send emails, and also say that you would be happy to show any person who was unsure the emails through your account in person, if they wish, to prove they are real. See what they say.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for your reply I think I'll do that. I've also taken the issue up with my MP he's suppose to be very good so hopefully he'll help me.

ReputationRep:
    Seen my first job that's made me regret booking a holiday that's made me unavailable for interview :/ My mentor knows the head of dept at that school and she's sent her a glowing recommendation as she said she may interview me later but I can't see anything like that happening. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tombola)
    Several more weeks of teaching to go and then it'll all be over. Kind of weird though that it'll be the end of the course. The PGCE feels so short now that it's already been 7-8 months.

On a different note, a lot of classes in the school I am will be doing assessment this week so there isn't really much opportunities for me to teach. I'm probably going to go to other classes to observe, but it did make me wonder if I'd actually get QTS if I'm missing out on a good 8 hours worth of teaching for that one week. Not really much I can do though.

Realise that every university, mentor expectation, teacher expectation and school will be different but for the last few weeks, what sort of teaching timetable were people doing? At the moment, I feel like I'm still only teaching 50-60% timetable at most (literacy, numeracy and a few topic lessons) due to interviews and things like that.
    I'm on 60% too right now, will move to 80% very soon but I have an extended placement.

ReputationRep:
    Airfairy...apply anyway and phone to explain. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Wednesday! Only issue is that I'll still be on my crutches

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I had to make up five days so instead of finishing next Friday I finish the Friday after. I'm not too bothered because that second week is a uni week so I still finish the complete course on the same day.

Job hunt is pretty non-existent! I am looking at pastoral but not much in that regard either. I guess I will end up doing supply for a bit.
    Ahh I saw your post about the job! Phone them up and explain at least then you'll have tried! Is it pastoral?

I had my obs, I thought it wasn't very good but my professional mentor said it was a really strong lesson and if he was observing me as a teacher and not a PGCE student, it'd still be a really strong lesson.

Ohh that's good that you can finish at the same time as everyone else! I'm so excited to finish now.

Thanks for your reply I think I'll do that. I've also taken the issue up with my MP he's suppose to be very good so hopefully he'll help me.

I'd definitely print screen and forward the emails.

(Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    I have an interview for Wednesday! Only issue is that I'll still be on my crutches
    Ahh awesome! Congrats that's not an issue! It's a chance for you to show what you can really do even on crutches!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I saw your post about the job! Phone them up and explain at least then you'll have tried! Is it pastoral?

I had my obs, I thought it wasn't very good but my professional mentor said it was a really strong lesson and if he was observing me as a teacher and not a PGCE student, it'd still be a really strong lesson.

Ohh that's good that you can finish at the same time as everyone else! I'm so excited to finish now.

I'd definitely print screen and forward the emails.

Ahh awesome! Congrats that's not an issue! It's a chance for you to show what you can really do even on crutches!
    Thanks for your reply. I forwarded them to my MP today going to see what he suggests before I forward them to the college.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. I forwarded them to my MP today going to see what he suggests before I forward them to the college.
    Another possible source of help would be your union if you are still a member... The college should have mentioned them or had some event for you to join at the start of the course. Though they sound rubbish so maybe not!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Another possible source of help would be your union if you are still a member... The college should have mentioned them or had some event for you to join at the start of the course. Though they sound rubbish so maybe not!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They did actually suggest that we join the NUT at the start of the course which I joined. I did contact them shortly before I left but they just told me to go to the college's Student Union (which I did but the email bounced back and the phone number was disconnected so I'm not sure if they actually had one).

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Long time follower, first time poster

Hope placements are going well, not long to go now!
    Quick question: how long is it before you hear back after submitting a job application? Im starting to really worry about jobs!

ReputationRep:
    7 more teaching days... my God I can't wait.
    (Original post by tamiic)
    Hi guys,

Long time follower, first time poster

Hope placements are going well, not long to go now!
    Quick question: how long is it before you hear back after submitting a job application? Im starting to really worry about jobs!
    Generally it is quite fast with teaching jobs. I'd say if you haven't heard within a week (of the closing date) then it's likely you haven't got an interview. The only time this didn't apply to me was a place who had already interviewed and readvertised once then they contacted me like two months later. Obviously desperate :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    7 more teaching days... my God I can't wait.

Generally it is quite fast with teaching jobs. I'd say if you haven't heard within a week (of the closing date) then it's likely you haven't got an interview. The only time this didn't apply to me was a place who had already interviewed and readvertised once then they contacted me like two months later. Obviously desperate :rolleyes:
    Haha, I have 4 weeks left, 2 teaching weeks, 2 enhancement weeks. I agreed to carry on teaching in the enhancement period (what was i thinking?!)

Thanks for your reply, I think Im getting worked up because i havent had interviews yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamiic)
    Haha, I have 4 weeks left, 2 teaching weeks, 2 enhancement weeks. I agreed to carry on teaching in the enhancement period (what was i thinking?!)

Thanks for your reply, I think Im getting worked up because i havent had interviews yet!
    How many applications have you filled in? And what level/subject? That can change a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished collating and anonymising my portfolio etc to hand in to uni! Hope it's all ok but will definately be a load off my mind when it's handed in!

ReputationRep:
    They did actually suggest that we join the NUT at the start of the course which I joined. I did contact them shortly before I left but they just told me to go to the college's Student Union (which I did but the email bounced back and the phone number was disconnected so I'm not sure if they actually had one).
    Ah, I guess NUT and NUS are affiliated! I have only seen how ATL and NASUWT handle issues (both very well if anyone's interested!).

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.