NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    This is pure comedy
    I actually think Bengals might do well haha? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott129)
    I'm going to nominate my team, the Rams :cool:

Already had a good, young defense. Added substantially to the offense and I'm hoping both Bradford and Austin have huge years.

Don't read into the Browns loss either, it's only pre-season :lol:
    I have to agree with this I think the Rams will have a strong year. The NFC West is going to be the league to watch this season. It looks super strong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Faceman)
    I have to agree with this I think the Rams will have a strong year. The NFC West is going to be the league to watch this season. It looks super strong
    Palmer to Fitzgerald :coma:

(if they can keep him upright...)

ReputationRep:
    Buccaneers are practicing with the Pats this week. Only team with more Rutgers players then us. Coach Belichick must be so mad :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Jack*)
    Dare I ask what the consensus is for the 2013/14 season?

I have a feeling the patriots are gonna do well. Decent draft picks will only improve Tom 'toolbox' Brady and they've been on the up for a while. However, I'm gonna be backing the broncos this year - Peyton Manning is a god in human form.

Can't wait till kickoff ngl.
    Broncos or Texans vs Seahawks or 9ers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is clear that they were looking for a good excuse to get Kaepernick in the team and then once he was in the team the sudden change to the read option suggests that the coaching staff don't think Smith can cut it on read option.
    Not really, it's just that they had trained with kaepernick for a year and knew that he had strengths with the read option style, just because they changed to read option doesn't mean that they had been trying to get Smith to play a read option offence and therefore replaced him because of that. If they wanted to find a way to put kaepernick in, they would have they don't need a reason besides "we wanted a read option offence".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bornab3)
    Not really, it's just that they had trained with kaepernick for a year and knew that he had strengths with the read option style, just because they changed to read option doesn't mean that they had been trying to get Smith to play a read option offence and therefore replaced him because of that. If they wanted to find a way to put kaepernick in, they would have they don't need a reason besides "we wanted a read option offence".

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think they tried to get Smith to learn the read option because he couldn't do effectively. The Niners had a strong roster that was mainly built on their defense. They had a functional offense at best and Harbaugh knew they couldn't win the Super Bowl with that offense the way it was. The trouble was how could he drop Smith when they were still winning games? Then he got concussed and Harbaugh had his chance. He got Kaepernick in and went read option and suddenly the Niners had a dangerous dynamic offense that got the best out of teh QB, out of Gore out of Davis and out of Crabtree. That move took them to the next level and really they should have won the Superbowl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProgFeanor)
    They'll actually just lose the Wildcard game to Houston.
    Touche

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they tried to get Smith to learn the read option because he couldn't do effectively. The Niners had a strong roster that was mainly built on their defense. They had a functional offense at best and Harbaugh knew they couldn't win the Super Bowl with that offense the way it was. The trouble was how could he drop Smith when they were still winning games? Then he got concussed and Harbaugh had his chance. He got Kaepernick in and went read option and suddenly the Niners had a dangerous dynamic offense that got the best out of teh QB, out of Gore out of Davis and out of Crabtree. That move took them to the next level and really they should have won the Superbowl.
    Agreed... almost.
    Vernon Davis was practically a non-factor for the 49ers once Kaepernick took over - yes he had 6 receptions in the Chicago game that was Kaepernick's first start, but then he had 6 receptions TOTAL in the remaining 6 games of the season.

Fortunately they seemed to recognise the weakness and took advantage somewhat in the playoffs, with 100 yard games against Atlanta (who incidentally allowed 140 yards to Zach Miller in the Divisional Round just a week prior) and in the Superbowl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    Agreed... almost.
    Vernon Davis was practically a non-factor for the 49ers once Kaepernick took over - yes he had 6 receptions in the Chicago game that was Kaepernick's first start, but then he had 6 receptions TOTAL in the remaining 6 games of the season.

Fortunately they seemed to recognise the weakness and took advantage somewhat in the playoffs, with 100 yard games against Atlanta (who incidentally allowed 140 yards to Zach Miller in the Divisional Round just a week prior) and in the Superbowl.
    Yeah now you mention it you're right about Davis. Kaepernick was going longer more often than Smith but in the playoffs, the stats might not agree with it, but they seemed to be hooking up better

ReputationRep:
    The idea that the 49ers were incapable of winning a Superbowl with Smith is pretty much provably wrong. He was a Kyle Williams fumble away from getting them there in 2012.. but I guess that would have been totally different with Kaepernick playing special teams providing intangibles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    The idea that the 49ers were incapable of winning a Superbowl with Smith is pretty much provably wrong. He was a Kyle Williams fumble away from getting them there in 2012.. but I guess that would have been totally different with Kaepernick playing special teams providing intangibles.
    The game changes a lot in just one year. Smith would never ever have won the superbowl for San Francisco

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone think about the situation brewing at Texas A&M?

ReputationRep:
    The game changes a lot in just one year. Smith would never ever have won the superbowl for San Francisco
    lmao.. so the game changes a lot in just one year, but there's no way Smith can change from being a contender to a champion

outstanding logic.

ReputationRep:
    lmao.. so the game changes a lot in just one year, but there's no way Smith can change from being a contender to a champion

outstanding logic.
    It seems we will never agree in this. Smith is a good QB but I think this season he will fall behind a lot of QB's that are more mobile. It's a shame because as a Niners fan he took his treatment last year amazingly well and always tried his heart out for the team

ReputationRep:
    It seems we will never agree in this. Smith is a good QB but I think this season he will fall behind a lot of QB's that are more mobile. It's a shame because as a Niners fan he took his treatment last year amazingly well and always tried his heart out for the team
    We are actually in total agreement that Smith will not be a top tier quarterback under pretty much any circumstances. Where we disagree is on your bizarre logical backflips that make him seem much worse than he is.

ReputationRep:
    We are actually in total agreement that Smith will not be a top tier quarterback under pretty much any circumstances. Where we disagree is on your bizarre logical backflips that make him seem much worse than he is.
    Lets leave it there then with us in somewhat of agreement!

ReputationRep:
    Malevolent, idk if you've seen this bro but...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bornab3)
    Malevolent, idk if you've seen this bro but...
    Yes I have I am quietly holding my breath...

ReputationRep:
    Also on Tim Tebows Birthday... Hmmmm fishy :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.