ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Oo aye this is true
    Get to pick first SSC soon might try and make it a clinical based one
    wow you do SSC in 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    wow you do SSC in 2nd year.
    We did two SSCs a year from first year to final year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I'm absolutely loving my course and I know that it's only going to get better. I hope that it isn't just naivety on my part and it will continue to endure.
    I think it's slightly different as a graduate. You've had more time to consider if that's what you really want and you've generally had to work harder and wait longer for it.

My enthusiasm comes and dissipates in waves and I suspect it's similar for most medics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    I think it's slightly different as a graduate. You've had more time to consider if that's what you really want and you've generally had to work harder and wait longer for it.

My enthusiasm comes and dissipates in waves and I suspect it's similar for most medics.
    Hopefully I'm in a massive wave, so my current apathy bordering on antipathy will soon turn into maniacal zeal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Hopefully I'm in a massive wave, so my current apathy bordering on antipathy will soon turn into maniacal zeal.
    Do you have any idea why though?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any idea why though?
    Hopefully it's all linked into the personal issues (?depression but I'm currently working off a self diagnosis) that I've been having over the last couple of months, and as I work on them my enthusiasm will start to come back. Otherwise, I could have a ****ing difficult year.

ReputationRep:

It makes sense though - it's a very long course and it's logical that at some point (or many points) people will be rather less enthusiastic about it, especially when graduation seems a very long way away (and when graduation brings with it more work, more exams, more assessment, etc). I suspect most people have a moment or two when they contemplate getting off the medical escalator and heading down other routes, but the vast majority then hit a patch of the course they really enjoy and forget about their unenthusiastic period for a while.

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely loving my course and I know that it's only going to get better. I hope that it isn't just naivety on my part and it will continue to endure.
    Haven't you only just started this year though?

I think most people have down periods. I reassure myself that will regain enthusiasm eventually. Just need to start giving a **** again soon so my grades don't massively drop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    It makes sense though - it's a very long course and it's logical that at some point (or many points) people will be rather less enthusiastic about it, especially when graduation seems a very long way away (and when graduation brings with it more work, more exams, more assessment, etc). I suspect most people have a moment or two when they contemplate getting off the medical escalator and heading down other routes, but the vast majority then hit a patch of the course they really enjoy and forget about their unenthusiastic period for a while.
    Makes so much sense. Nice to know I'm normal. I've been quite open about currently being so apathetic and have found most people understood. Been a massive step up in workload this year, just had a week of lectures which thank god I didn't do a lecture based course because it was absolute hell (never thought I'd see the day where I was thankful for a PBL scenario), generally watching all my flatmates who have possibly a third of my workload go out and have fun loads more than me, not being terribly interested in what we're doing, haven't seen an actual patient in how long, and I've got at least another 4 years... Am allowed to go through down phases. Going to stop beating myself up about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's slightly different as a graduate. You've had more time to consider if that's what you really want and you've generally had to work harder and wait longer for it..
    Getting into medicine was a massive feat for me.. Left school at 15 with 1 GCSE... blah blah /lifestory/ Really had to want it, but then here I am just so mehh.. so I'm not sure this argument quite works. Contrasting my previous attitude to my current one is depressing!

At least I haven't totally given up and am on top of workload etc.
    Just should probably turn up a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Makes so much sense. Nice to know I'm normal. I've been quite open about currently being so apathetic and have found most people understood. Been a massive step up in workload this year, just had a week of lectures which thank god I didn't do a lecture based course because it was absolute hell (never thought I'd see the day where I was thankful for a PBL scenario), generally watching all my flatmates who have possibly a third of my workload go out and have fun loads more than me, not being terribly interested in what we're doing, haven't seen an actual patient in how long, and I've got at least another 4 years... Am allowed to go through down phases. Going to stop beating myself up about it.
    I realise doing extra stuff when you're trying to deal with an increased workload might not be helpful, but getting time in theatre at weekends was what got me through the horrendously dull and demotivating parts of second year - it was good to remind myself that patients did actually exist and that there were interesting parts to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Hopefully it's all linked into the personal issues (?depression but I'm currently working off a self diagnosis) that I've been having over the last couple of months, and as I work on them my enthusiasm will start to come back. Otherwise, I could have a ****ing difficult year.
    Ah, I see. Well hopefully things'll pick up as the year goes on.

(Original post by lekky)
    Getting into medicine was a massive feat for me.. Left school at 15 with 1 GCSE... blah blah /lifestory/ Really had to want it, but then here I am just so mehh.. so I'm not sure this argument quite works. Contrasting my previous attitude to my current one is depressing!

At least I haven't totally given up and am on top of workload etc.
    Just should probably turn up a bit more.
    I'm not saying it applies to everyone. I just see it as a broad theme.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting because I feel demotivated at the moment and it is the start of clinicals. Well I only feel demoted because our clinicals have strings and essays attached and having a 1:30 commute both ways means I never seem to have time

I like the hospital when I am there...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Haven't you only just started this year though?
    Yes, hence me saying that I hope it isn't down to my naivety.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1823975

ReputationRep:
    Yes, hence me saying that I hope it isn't down to my naivety.
    It's not. There are a couple of grads on my firm, and lots throughout the hospital. 'Keen' isn't the word...! :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    ^ :eek: If that was me, they're getting checked out. No thread on TSR, no messing about.

Aaaalso, the Health forum infuriates me. Part 'go to your GP', part 'no GPs are ****', part 'well I have this similar problem and I get this otc so you should too'. As much as I'd like to think that people don't take medical opinion from random non-medical people on the internet as fact, without the docs frankly it would be dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    If anything traumatic happened to my man fruits I'd be the first person in the queue at the GP.

ReputationRep:
    Don't revise embryology for assessment, only 3/20 questions assessed are on embryology, get 75% anyway. BOOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Aaaalso, the Health forum infuriates me. Part 'go to your GP', part 'no GPs are ****', part 'well I have this similar problem and I get this otc so you should too'. As much as I'd like to think that people don't take medical opinion from random non-medical people on the internet as fact, without the docs frankly it would be dangerous.
    Well **** 'em. If they're that stupid they deserve infertility.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.