The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Whew, just got home and watched 'The Girl Who Waited' on iPlayer. The preview did not do this episode justice at all, I absolutely loved it. Such a beautiful and moving story with wonderful acting from Arthur and Karen especially. We need more episodes like this please <3
is it me or do these later episodes seem to be channelling really dark nursery rhymes style rhymes

ie: tick tick goes the clock and in the trailer to next weeks here comes a candle to light you to bed here comes a chopper to chop of your head

though i am looking forward to next week's episode the God Complex looks another scare fest delight (i reckon would have been better aired halloween weekend just saying)
Reply 6622
wow I've came on after watching it on iplayer hours later and there isn't pages and pages for me to catch up on whats going on? Anyway I really liked that episode and I can't believe how much I cried considering its an episode of Dr who.
Original post by LastLordofTime
Tom MacRae wrote Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel way back when - this was a definite improvement on that. It's honestly amazing how the show has come along stylistically since Moffat took over - it's heads and tails above most American sci-fi which has three times the budget.

Yeah that was the first episode I saw. I though that story was good but this one was amazing. I hope next week is as good, the trailer just isn`t doing it for me.
This episode should have been called 'Rory's Choice'.
I can't say I was a fan of this episode, the idea was great but parts of the plot seemed a little forced
The fourth dimension is only 'Late Friday Afternoon' [at least I think it is]

Any thoughts?

Ooooh Imelda Staunton played the voice of the interface! I was wondering what role she played.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6627
The spinning samurai action at the end was pretty awful and ridiculous. There was no flowing in the moves. Just spin, spin, spin.

Also, Amy was knocked out for ages yet when Rory was touched he was waking up before he even hit the floor...
Reply 6628
I think there is less speculation because so far in the last couple of episodes there hasnt been much about melody and river (well, same person but i meant at different ages)

One thing that keeps annoying me is how amy hardly ever mentions her baby. when mums lose their babies, even if they've only had them for a day or two, they say that they think about them all the time. Amy seems to have forgotten she even had one!

I feel sorry for the tiny baby if they are only going to bring melody back as older river. Then she would have spent her childhood growing up with Madam Kovarian.

I hope they get back to that storyline soon!

Just wanted to ask. is anyone on here going to or is already at loughborough? and if so are you in robert bakewell hall? I'm going to do Maths by the way.
The only think I disliked about the episode was that tthe whole choice for Rory dragged on a little too long really. I half saw that a hand-bot would touch her however I didn't see it the way it happened, I just saw it as she wouldn't realise noe was there, not just allow it to touch her.

It was a good episode besides this though. You really felt for Rory and the choice that the Doctor forces upon him. I agree with the poster that says they can't see Rory and Amy continuing in the Tardis for too much longer now. He's really become darker this season with his choices and they seem to conflict more now.
Original post by Sawwah
One thing that keeps annoying me is how amy hardly ever mentions her baby. when mums lose their babies, even if they've only had them for a day or two, they say that they think about them all the time. Amy seems to have forgotten she even had one!

You mean like how, when older Amy speaks about how she needed company, the only names suggested were Rory, and Mr Biggles, their favourite cat?
Original post by Dinendal Leralonde
You mean like how, when older Amy speaks about how she needed company, the only names suggested were Rory, and Mr Biggles, their favourite cat?

IMO, this series has been brilliant with one or two duds (CotBS and NT). Amy has grown and improved as a character and Rory has manned up and grown on me. I've loved Smith from day one and I didn't think it was possible for him to get any better but he has. I've loved the story arc of River Song/Melody Pond and I don't think it was too obvious even despite all the spoilers.

But the one thing that really pisses me off is the Pond's indifference to their own child. It just doesn't make any sense. Yeah I know they didn't have a normal pregnancy what with being a flesh and not knowing she was pregnant until the last minute but Amy has had time to bond with her child although not so much Rory and it doesn't make any sense that they would go on travelling with the Doctor accepting that they at least got to raise River as Mels because that's not really the same. You'd have thought with Moffat being a parent he would have at least thought this through or that there's something in the next 3 episodes to rectify this even if it's only a little mention of Melody, a longing look from Rory/Amy, an empty crib in the hotel room of next episode or just anything.
I hope there's a tortoise in the next one.
That episode was alright, one of the few were Amy was tolerable (acting and plot wise). Rory was good again and, yeah, this episode more or less shows that Rory and Amy won't be staying with the Doctor for much longer. No mention of the baby again, which is annoying. Maybe it fell through a crack. Continuity-lite, which is good on occasion, but I felt this episode was fairly tedious tbh. Wasn't very fun to watch and it wasn't particularly well made in other respects.

I consider this one dud-ish, but I loved Night Terrors.

Also, there are too many rumours about Old Amy and a certain Astronaut now :rolleyes:
Original post by sleekchic
IMO, this series has been brilliant with one or two duds (CotBS and NT). Amy has grown and improved as a character and Rory has manned up and grown on me. I've loved Smith from day one and I didn't think it was possible for him to get any better but he has. I've loved the story arc of River Song/Melody Pond and I don't think it was too obvious even despite all the spoilers.

But the one thing that really pisses me off is the Pond's indifference to their own child. It just doesn't make any sense. Yeah I know they didn't have a normal pregnancy what with being a flesh and not knowing she was pregnant until the last minute but Amy has had time to bond with her child although not so much Rory and it doesn't make any sense that they would go on travelling with the Doctor accepting that they at least got to raise River as Mels because that's not really the same. You'd have thought with Moffat being a parent he would have at least thought this through or that there's something in the next 3 episodes to rectify this even if it's only a little mention of Melody, a longing look from Rory/Amy, an empty crib in the hotel room of next episode or just anything.

I don't think there's a single point there I disagree with, although I quite enjoyed Night Terrors, partly because it kept me guessing as to what was really going on (at one point, I was convinced the kid was a manifestation of the dad's fears).

One thing I would like to see though is more of Matt's portrayal of the more sinister side of the Doctor. A bit less over-excited kid at Christmas (though that's never without its charm), and a bit more grumpy old man. Him betraying older-Amy like he did was a bit of a bastard move, but then passing that choice on to Rory was almost heartless. And I don't think we've had that side of him since The Beast Below, which is a shame, because it was a refreshing take on who the Doctor is.
Original post by Dinendal Leralonde
One thing I would like to see though is more of Matt's portrayal of the more sinister side of the Doctor. A bit less over-excited kid at Christmas (though that's never without its charm), and a bit more grumpy old man. Him betraying older-Amy like he did was a bit of a bastard move, but then passing that choice on to Rory was almost heartless. And I don't think we've had that side of him since The Beast Below, which is a shame, because it was a refreshing take on who the Doctor is.

Well, bringing out that side to the Doctor was sort of the point of A Good Man Goes to War. At least, that's the way Moffat put it when he said he wanted to explore what side it would bring out in the Doctor when you went to war with him and suffered a massive and crushing defeat.

But in terms of an almost manipulative Doctor, yeah, we haven't had much. A recent interview with Moffat did mention that he might do that at times but ultimately, the Doctor just wasn't that character. Glimpses are fine though. :teeth:
I think the problem with the whole last two episodes with the whole regarding no mentioning of Melody/River is the fact that NT was definitely meant for the first part of the series and someone on here said this episode was meant to be ep. 4?

If both were then it's annoying they didn't alter the scripts a tiny bit and reshoot a couple of parts so there was a mention of the baby.

Couple more things from the episode for me.

How did old Amy see the look on Rory's face?

'There he is, the voice of God.' Fore-shadowing to the God Complex? Possibly the Doctor acts as God within the episode?

Finally in the trailer for the episode, there is possibly a couple of climpes of a water tank (might not be) but will the Silents be in one of the rooms? :holmes:
Original post by sleekchic

I can't help wondering if the lack of mention of Melody isn't because of the Silence in the Tardis.. Nothing else except shoddy writing makes sense, and for all of the complaints I have about Moffat, he doesn't seem to be a shoddy writer.
Original post by Darren-M
I can't help wondering if the lack of mention of Melody isn't because of the Silence in the Tardis.. Nothing else except shoddy writing makes sense, and for all of the complaints I have about Moffat, he doesn't seem to be a shoddy writer.

But there isn't a Silent in the Tardis the one in the first episode was a projected image from Amy's phone.
Original post by SirMasterKey
But there isn't a Silent in the Tardis the one in the first episode was a projected image from Amy's phone.

There have been a couple of hints to the Silence/a malevolent being inside the Tardis. Wasn't the Tardis explosion in the Big bang because of that?

I miss being all intouch with Doctor Who, I can't find any motivation to untangle the hints with Moffat and Smith at the wheel.

Latest