Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! pray, pray and pray and hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaKendrick)
    To be honest, the Cambridge / Oxford graduates that I have come across may be smart, but they tend to lack common sense. I spoke to a Law Firm recently about a Law application from Cambridge. He was all good with his education, but he failed on one aspect: common sense.

I don't like the bickering between the two Universities or the whole I am smarter and greater than you because I attend said Universities. It sickens me because you are indirectly belittling others.

It's from my perspective that the most "easily" gained A*s and As come from the science subjects or maths. It's not uncommon for other subjects to creep in I am aware of that, but from my understanding it's primarily science or maths. In those subjects you have to be naturally gifted. I enjoy maths, but I am not gifted and I would struggle at A-level and would fall at around the E-D level not because I am stupid. I have known Cambridge and Oxford applicants to have only maths and science based A-levels. It's "easier" to achieve those high grades in those subjects when you are naturally gifted.

I am more impressed when an Oxford or Cambridge applicant has A levels that do not include Maths or Science. I have more respect for them.
    i.e. innate intelligence

ReputationRep:
    EDEXCEL MATHS GRADE BOUNDARIES:
    https://twitter.com/Cohgee/status/36...736000/photo/1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I am impressed with people who have a way with words. Oxbridge seems to graduate a lot of people who can.
    Often as a result of their degee, mind.

ReputationRep:
    Thick relative to other Oxbridge students.
    No, she's just full of exam technique. She's probably not good enough to get in if she wasn't coached.

ReputationRep:
    Something a Cambridge admissions tutor said to me on their open day. "Cambridge and oxford aren't for everyone, you need to be a certain ilk or you will simply hate life here. Many come here and have to swap universities because it's too intense, and there is nothing wrong with that. Afterall, in the grand scheme of things a first from Brighton is better than a second from Oxford."

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am impressed with people who have a way with words. Oxbridge seems to graduate a lot of people who can.
    It is not only Oxbridge that graduates people who have a way with words.....But, yes, certainly the Oxford graduates that I have encountered on TSR write very neatly and concisely. They pick their words carefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriswhjay)
    Something a Cambridge admissions tutor said to me on their open day. "Cambridge and oxford aren't for everyone, you need to be a certain ilk or you will simply hate life here. Many come here and have to swap universities because it's too intense, and there is nothing wrong with that. Afterall, in the grand scheme of things a first from Brighton is better than a second from Oxford."

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Very true. I know several extremely intelligent people who absolutely hate the workload at Cambridge now that they're in (both 2nd Year)...

(Original post by milanloverx)

I mean geez, people! Just enjoy your life why do you have to compare? We are different, we are good at different things. What we should care about is ourselves and our potentials!
    Life is all about comparison. Even for potential partners in relationships, you're compared with other girls.

ReputationRep:
    It is not only Oxford that graduates people who have a way with words....But, yes, certainly the few Oxford graduates that I encountered on TSR write very neatly and concisely. I wish could write that well. They have a beautiful way of structuring their arguments/point. Even if I don't agree with them. I still admire their clever use of the English language. I have also encountered students from other prestigious universities who write just as eloquently as those from Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who wants the Edexcel grade boundaries [Official]

Unit M Ses 100' 90' 80' 70' 60' 50' 40'
    6663 C1 Jun-13 75 69.0 63 56 49 42 36
    6664 C2 Jun-13 75 68.5 62 55 48 41 35
    6665 C3 Jun-13 64 57.0 50 43 36 30 24
    6666 C4 Jun-13 75 68.0 61 53 46 39 32
    6689 D1 Jun-13 75 70.0 65 59 53 48 43
    6690 D2 Jun-13 75 68.5 62 53 44 35 27
    6667 FP1 Jun-13 75 66.5 58 49 41 33 25
    6668 FP2 Jun-13 75 70.0 65 59 53 47 41
    6669 FP3 Jun-13 75 67.5 60 52 45 38 31
    6677 M1 Jun-13 68 62.0 56 50 44 38 32
    6678 M2 Jun-13 72 65.0 58 51 44 38 32
    6679 M3 Jun-13 75 68.5 62 55 48 41 35
    6680 M4 Jun-13 73 66.0 59 52 45 38 32
    6681 M5 Jun-13 74 66.0 58 50 43 36 29
    6683 S1 Jun-13 75 68.0 61 52 46 39 32
    6684 S2 Jun-13 75 69.5 64 56 48 40 33
    6691 S3 Jun-13 75 68.0 61 53 46 39 32
    6686 S4 Jun-13 75 69.0 63 54 45 37 29

Hogwarts here i come :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssargithan)
    Hogwarts here i come :d
    See ya there! I'm hoping for gryffindor or ravenclaw

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by AhmedDavid)
    I did C1 early, during GCSe, so what raw mark do I need ? 69/75 seems a bit too high for an a (92% ?) :/

ReputationRep:
    OCR raw marks out yet??

ReputationRep:
    We can finally say it's TOMORROW!! GOODLUCK LOVELY PEOPLE!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhmedDavid)
    Well well well

My parents are going to be very proud with my maths!

ReputationRep:
    Not my problem if you find it difficult to get good grades.
    You seem like such a nice person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chriswhjay)
    See ya there! I'm hoping for gryffindor or ravenclaw

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I prefer the darker and more sinister house of Slytherin!

Guys please say this is not true: 69 out of 75 for an a in c1 maths? 92% ? Soo damnnn high :/ tho, the paper was easy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.