Maths Uni Chat Watch

refref
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Simplicity)
I hate the show red or black. I had to explain to my sister that there is no way black is more likely to show up because red has shown up twice i.e. gambler fallacy.
It's such a stupid show. They should just flip a coin, if it's heads then choose 1 out of those 1000 people and give them £1,000,000. Same principle.
IrrationalNumber
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by refref)
It's such a stupid show. They should just flip a coin, if it's heads then choose 1 out of those 1000 people and give them £1,000,000. Same principle.
I haven't seen this. Is it better than that tactical gem deal or no deal?
refref
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by IrrationalNumber)
Nope. It requires even less skill.
ziedj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why are you taking the piss? You have to believe in the boxes...
refref
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ziedj)
I'm actually going to say deal or no deal requires more skill than counter strike.
ziedj
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by refref)
i'm actually going to say deal or no deal requires more skill than counter strike.
hey **** you buddy
Zuzuzu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To be fair, DOND has a tiny bit of skill to it. The contestant has to try to figure out what the banker thinks of them and attempt to give him a 'bad read' on them. And, of course, a basic understanding of probability would be quite helpful as well.

This new program is just daft. From what I've seen of it, ITV select 1000 contestants and each round reduce them by ~half based on whether they select red or black, and when it gets to the last man standing, it's again a straight choice as to whether they get £1m.
Simplicity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Deal or no deal isn't that bad. Although you get people saying stuff like believe in the boxes or I'm choosing this number because it has special meaning. But, I agree with you. Sadly, most people deal way below the mean of the money in the boxes, which is sad. The optimum for players overal would be to reject any offer that is below the mean.

The banker also tends to give girls way below the mean of the boxes, even more so than boys. But, the banker is such a **** through, he cheated thousands of people by making them deal below what they are expected to win. I also notice he gives bad deals to people who are more superstitious.

(Original post by Zuzuzu)
This new program is just daft. From what I've seen of it, ITV select 1000 contestants and each round reduce them by ~half based on whether they select red or black, and when it gets to the last man standing, it's again a straight choice as to whether they get £1m.
The sad thing the last few rounds the person doesn't even get to choose the red or black half the time.
refref
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ziedj)
hey **** you buddy
you should do deal or no deal mixing instead.

and I would have mixed today but I have to get up earlyish. I want to mix more. I'm bored of pub and deathmatch. BUT I HAVE LOST MY AIM
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zuzuzu)
To be fair, DOND has a tiny bit of skill to it. The contestant has to try to figure out what the banker thinks of them and attempt to give him a 'bad read' on them. And, of course, a basic understanding of probability would be quite helpful as well.

(Original post by ziedj)
Why would any of you think I'm taking the piss? Deal or no deal is one of my favourite programs on TV.

I suspect this red or black program will become even more enjoyable. My highest marks at university have been in probability/statistics, so I think I will be well prepared to enjoy the intellectual challenge that red or black provides.
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The optimum for players overal would be to reject any offer that is below the mean.
That is not true. This assumes that a player values 25000 5x as much as they value 5000. To take it to extremes, if you're in a position where you could win 10^10 million or nothing and the banker offers you 10^10 / 2 - 1 million, would you not take the offer?
Simplicity
Rep:
?
That is not true. This assumes that a player values 25000 5x as much as they value 5000. To take it to extremes, if you're in a position where you could win 10^10 million or nothing and the banker offers you 10^10 / 2 - 1 million, would you not take the offer?
I understand that argument. However, most of deal or no deal is like the mean is 25grand, girl deals at 4 grand.

It's like do you really need that 4 grand.

There was an episode where that happen. She delt with 5 more boxes to go. Even after the 3 boxes got taken away and her mean actually went up, the banker said he would have delt at 13 grand now if she didn't dealt at 4 grand. Which, is still giving her a crappy offer.

I can find the episode.

The banker did it because she was an idiot and a girl. Don't see the point of winning a couple of grand. Granted if the difference between mean is small, you have a valid reason to deal. However, most of the time the difference between mean and offer is more than 5 grand. The joke is that the box she was keeping had 75grand in, and she said she would not get rid of it until the end. Through, that probably the reason the banker gave her crappy offers.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
Why would any of you think I'm taking the piss? Deal or no deal is one of my favourite programs on TV.

I suspect this red or black program will become even more enjoyable. My highest marks at university have been in probability/statistics, so I think I will be well prepared to enjoy the intellectual challenge that red or black provides.
Get a coin,

flip it nine times. If it's head all nine times, give that person a million pounds. That's how intellectual it is.
IrrationalNumber
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get a coin,

flip it nine times. If it's head all nine times, give that person a million pounds. That's how intellectual it is.
I am sure the audience are busy calculating air resistance and the force of the coin tosser so they can guess which side the coin will land on. I suspect the excitement of the program stems from the possibility of accounting for quantum effects.
Simplicity
Rep:
?
I am sure the audience are busy calculating air resistance and the force of the coin tosser so they can guess which side the coin will land on. I suspect the excitement of the program stems from the possibility of accounting for quantum effects.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...nathan-hageman
Most people are mad because the first winner went to jail to serve 5 years for kicking his gf in the head. He only served to 2 years for it. Now he's got a million pounds.
harr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thought everyone in this thread owned macs and didn't play games.
Why?
shamika
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Deal or no deal isn't that bad. Although you get people saying stuff like believe in the boxes or I'm choosing this number because it has special meaning. But, I agree with you. Sadly, most people deal way below the mean of the money in the boxes, which is sad. The optimum for players overal would be to reject any offer that is below the mean.
Look up utility theory (and risk aversion) and you'll see what the banker is doing and why your suggestion is wrong. The show loses its magic after that though
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jake22)
Or even on a lower level (mathematically) a teacher training course to teach high school maths.
I'm fairly sure if you have a maths degree you just do a PGCE and off you go - no more maths.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
P.S. I hope none you in this thread go into academics.
I really want to, but I think there is a bit more to life than teaching some acne ridden socially retarded students topology and then going off to do my own research that will take years to get anywhere with.

It wouldn't be quite as depressing as that, though when you look back on it when you're older I imagine will seem not quite as worthwhile as when you started.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
The tag-line is something like 'the show where luck and luck alone can win you one million pounds', so at least doesn't try to pretend to be anything more, unlike DoND and its systems, crystal balls, sob stories and endless insufferable twats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (112)
38.89%
No - but I will (13)
4.51%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.94%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (143)
49.65%

Watched Threads