Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahid-r)
    I just watched the BBC Big Questions episode from today. Abdullah Al-Andalusi mentioned that converts to Islam face a lot of similar issues that ex-Muslims also do.

Has anyone been through anything here? Or know how common this stuff is in the UK? Any stories?
    Many of the issues are similar.

Rejection by family, arguments, fights, emotional and physical abuse, thrown out of house etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMuslimGuy)
    Many of the issues are similar.

Rejection by family, arguments, fights, emotional and physical abuse, thrown out of house etc
    Do you know how common it is?

Are there any races/religions where it happens more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wahid-r)
    Do you know how common it is?

Are there any races/religions where it happens more?
    Id say quite common. I hardly know of a case where telling family has not been an issue. In most cases that has been the main worry of the person due to the reaction of their family. Issues such as being thrown out of the house maybe less common though.

Couldn't comment. But id say people from Sikh and maybe Hindu backgrounds have a tough time.

ReputationRep:
    Are you from the House of Saud?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosstalk)
    Are you from the House of Saud?
    Wtf, NO.And I am not a wahabis either.I am not posh,I lived in Dublin most of my life,but I don't speak slang like that My accent is a Irishy,English,African like mix but I don't speak slang like you guys night do in the towns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Wtf, NO.And I am not a wahabis either.I am not posh,I lived in Dublin most of my life,but I don't speak slang like that My accent is a Irishy,English,African like mix but I don't speak slang like you guys night do in the towns.
    Learn some ebonics. Will be useful when conversing with Quantum.

ReputationRep:
    do u evn lift m8? il teece u 4 spekin 2 me lik that u little cant m8

(Original post by Kadak)
    Guys, please mind your language, other members don't come in to read this. I don't care if you joke,just aiming at the swearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Lol,only peasants eat crust, we southerners to well off for crusts.Oh yes, shots were fired. 😄😄😄😊😊😃😜.
    Lol that was a good comeback tbh :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Learn some ebonics. Will be useful when conversing with Quantum.
    I can't do ebonics and don't want to.If Quantum requires me to converse in ebonics,he can go back to his ground state in the darkest corners of the Web.
    Anyway,who is Quantum? Why is he so infamous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    I can't do ebonics and don't want to.If Quantum requires me to converse in ebonics,he can go back to his ground state in the darkest corners of the Web.
    Anyway,who is Quantum? Why is he so infamous?
    Richard Dawkins at the moment. I wouldn't say he is infamous though.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Id say quite common. I hardly know of a case where telling family has not been an issue. In most cases that has been the main worry of the person due to the reaction of their family. Issues such as being thrown out of the house maybe less common though.

Couldn't comment. But id say people from Sikh and maybe Hindu backgrounds have a tough time.
    Interesting. Thanks.

It's something I'll bare in mind when I'm campaigning regarding these issues. I must admit I've completely neglected that these issues aren't restricted to ex-Muslims (though they are worse with ex-Muslims).

ReputationRep:
    This place is not the same man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biryani007)
    Agreed

Especially the last few days. there have been very few muslamic posts/images/ quotes etc

And many people have stopped posting... Like ankabout, beautiful, tpos, hsafirah, badshah, tennnumbers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    True Dat.

ReputationRep:
    عَنْ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ أَنَّهُ قَالَ عَلِّمُوا وَيَسِّرُوا وَلَا تُعَسِّرُوا وَإِذَا غَضِبَ أَحَدُكُمْ فَلْيَسْكُتْ

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Teach others, make things easy, and do not make things difficult. When one of you is angry, he should remain silent.”

Musnad Ahmad 2137 - Authentic According To Ahmad Shakir

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard Dawkins.)
    Agreed

Especially the last few days. there have been very few muslamic posts/images/ quotes etc

And many people have stopped posting... Like ankabout, beautiful, tpos, hsafirah, badshah, tennnumbers

Posted from TSR Mobile

True Dat.
    It used to be good before, now it's just random chitchat and trolls :/

ReputationRep:
    It's because IdeasForLife doesn't post that much anymore

ReputationRep:
    Then lets make it like the good days. :ahee::danceboy::dance:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    It's because IdeasForLife doesn't post that much anymore
    True Dat.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.