Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in really bad shape at the moment, guys. I've prepared pretty thoroughly over the past few weeks and, in my mocks, I've not been able to score anywhere near what's required for Newcastle/Warwick.

I'm a non-science applicant for GEM (with non-science A-levels) and I'm in need of some serious motivation. My UKCAT is at 08:00 on 4th October (in less than two days). I've done the UKCAT practice tests and I've used the 1000qs book. I'm not feeling very hopeful. What do you think my chances of producing a better score on test day are?

Here are my scores:

Medify MINI-MOCKS:

VR: 650
    QR: 650
    AR: 570

Average: 623

Medify FULL MOCKS:

Mock 1

VR: 700
    QR: 550
    AR: 700

Average: 650

Mock 2

VR: 570
    QR: 570
    AR: 650

Average: 596

Mock 3

VR: 600

Average: 600

ReputationRep:
    qr for 1000q is definitely harder, vr of 1000q is easier than real exam

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll be living in this thread until my test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkoo22)
    got 830
    Congrats!
    Can I ask what your individual break downs were?
    And do you remember your scores for any mocks you did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaby_xo)
    Congrats!
    Can I ask what your individual break downs were?
    And do you remember your scores for any mocks you did?
    qr 900
    ar 900
    vr 760
    sj 770

mocks i got mostly 800+

ReputationRep:
    Would i be allowed to write my list for solving abstract on the pad provided?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThrowawayMike)
    I'm in really bad shape at the moment, guys. I've prepared pretty thoroughly over the past few weeks and, in my mocks, I've not been able to score anywhere near what's required for Newcastle/Warwick.

I'm a non-science applicant for GEM (with non-science A-levels) and I'm in need of some serious motivation. My UKCAT is at 08:00 on 4th October (in less than two days). I've done the UKCAT practice tests and I've used the 1000qs book. I'm not feeling very hopeful. What do you think my chances of producing a better score on test day are?

Here are my scores:

Medify MINI-MOCKS:

VR: 650
    QR: 650
    AR: 570

Average: 623

Medify FULL MOCKS:

Mock 1

VR: 700
    AR: 700

Average: 650

Mock 2

VR: 570
    QR: 570

Average: 596

Mock 3

VR: 600

Average: 600
    Where are you doing the exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Hope You Die)
    Where are you doing the exam?
    In London (intentionally vague). Why?

ReputationRep:
    Guys this is a question my cousin wants to ask but doesnt have a TSR account.

He got an average of around 850 I think on his UKCAT and got 4As or 3As and a B for his AS which were in maths, bio, chem and further maths. He is predicted 2A*s and 2As (I think I'm not entirely sure but somewhere around there).

The problem is his GCSEs were far from the typical medical applicant.

1A* 8As 2Bs and a C.

As you can see these aren't the best grades however, he went to a very underperforming school where more than half the students fail (get less than 5A*- C grades) every year and he is from a bad area as well. His GCSE grades are considered to be one of the best in the school he was in.

Would he be able to get into a med school with these grades?

He is also doing the BMAT exam on the 2nd November? Hopefully he does well.
    He would like to go to Cambridge or Imperial but he doesn't really mind where he ends up as they'll all end up in the same place lol.

So could someone give me advice to tell him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    Guys this is a question my cousin wants to ask but doesnt have a TSR account.

He got an average of around 850 I think on his UKCAT and got 4As or 3As and a B for his AS which were in maths, bio, chem and further maths. He is predicted 2A*s and 2As (I think I'm not entirely sure but somewhere around there).

The problem is his GCSEs were far from the typical medical applicant.

1A* 8As 2Bs and a C.

As you can see these aren't the best grades however, he went to a very underperforming school where more than half the students fail (get less than 5A*- C grades) every year and he is from a bad area as well. His GCSE grades are considered to be one of the best in the school he was in.

Would he be able to get into a med school with these grades?

He is also doing the BMAT exam on the 2nd November? Hopefully he does well.
    He would like to go to Cambridge or Imperial but he doesn't really mind where he ends up as they'll all end up in the same place lol.

So could someone give me advice to tell him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Boy his grades are well good. He can get a place anywhere thats not massively GCSE heavy, UCL and imperial would be more than fine. Cambridge make sure he has high average percentage of ums in AS levels.

ReputationRep:
    Boy his grades are well good. He can get a place anywhere thats not massively GCSE heavy, UCL and imperial would be more than fine. Cambridge make sure he has high average percentage of ums in AS levels.
    He's done his AS levels already and got 99% across his maths modules (298/300) and 98% across his Biology and Chemistry exams. Further maths was on the poor side which he was very annoyed about as he missed out on the A by 2 UMS I think. But his personal goal was to get 95+ on everything ahaha but honestly would die for his grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also Imperial and UCL require a B in English Language but he got a C in that but an A in English lit if that makes any difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anyone know when the 2016 UKCAT averages get released??? I know the prelim score are out, but when does the over all arv come out. On the 5th Oct when testing ends?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    He's done his AS levels already and got 99% across his maths modules (298/300) and 98% across his Biology and Chemistry exams. Further maths was on the poor side which he was very annoyed about as he missed out on the A by 2 UMS I think. But his personal goal was to get 95+ on everything ahaha but honestly would die for his grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cambridge use the top three subjects i'm sure so he should be in a really really good position then.
    If he has a C in language then tell him to resit it and put the grade as pending on ucas. Otherwise i'm not sure many universities allow a C.

ReputationRep:
    qr 900
    ar 900
    vr 760
    sj 770

mocks i got mostly 800+
    SJT is banded not scored? Your average would have been 853, not 830

ReputationRep:
    AR strat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaby_xo)
    SJT is banded not scored? Your average would have been 853, not 830
    typo
    it was
    qr 900ar 760vr 770sj band 2(not 900 for ar)[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    so average about 810

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamza_33)
    Would i be allowed to write my list for solving abstract on the pad provided?
    I think so! You are given a whiteboard. My plan is to spend some time during the Decision Analysis section writing out some important equations for the QR and my list for Abstract

ReputationRep:
    so average about 810
    I see, that makes more sense! Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.