Is Scottish independence a 'good or bad' thing? Watch

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country?
YES (299)
32.12%
NO (632)
67.88%
This discussion is closed.
stuffsgrooveyman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depending on the perspective; it could be either. From the English/British side; it could technically be good because Scottish public spending is higher than revenues raised.

It could be a bad thing for Scots because it would mean higher taxation/ uncertainty of future as part of the Eu etc.

But tbh It's not going to happen (no matter how much I want it to)
Midlander
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stuffsgrooveyman)
Depending on the perspective; it could be either. From the English/British side; it could technically be good because Scottish public spending is higher than revenues raised.

It could be a bad thing for Scots because it would mean higher taxation/ uncertainty of future as part of the Eu etc.

But tbh It's not going to happen (no matter how much I want it to)
Why do you equate England with Britain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
stuffsgrooveyman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Midlander)
Why do you equate England with Britain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not equating it with England but merely using it to describe/mention Wales and Northern Ireland as I was feeling too lazy to write them all out. I'm basically making a generalization and instead of writing England/Wales/Northern Island I have basically omitted the last two out and instead written England/Britain.

Lol I don't think that made sense. Pretty tired right now so my words are stumbling over each other
Midlander
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by stuffsgrooveyman)
I'm not equating it with England but merely using it to describe/mention Wales and Northern Ireland as I was feeling too lazy to write them all out. I'm basically making a generalization and instead of writing England/Wales/Northern Island I have basically omitted the last two out and instead written England/Britain.

Lol I don't think that made sense. Pretty tired right now so my words are stumbling over each other
Save yourself the hassle and put RUK. Don't worry, Yes campaigners often ignore Wales and NI and it's not because they're tired...

Posted from TSR Mobile
stuffsgrooveyman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Save yourself the hassle and put RUK. Don't worry, Yes campaigners often ignore Wales and NI and it's not because they're tired...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try to remember that next time aha !

&why do you think they ignore them? Is it because, from your opinion, they think that people would generally sympathise with Wales/NI rather than England? As in, there is more hate towards England while none/little towards Wales/Ni?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheBugle)
Yup, but if you're spending most of your time in England, you're hardly going to know or see what's going on in Scotland.
Not really. Most people get information from social media, the press, television and so on. All equally accessible elsewhere. What you get from talking to people is about as anecdotal as can be.

I'm just wondering if he's a disgruntled Ukip supporter (mentioned in other thread), who didn't like the way his leader was treated.
I'm no fan of UKIP, I fundamentally disagree with virtually everything they say - but I think any reasonable Scot should not only dislike the way that racist, nationalist mob treated Nigel Farage, but should be actively disgusted by it.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I'm no fan of UKIP, I fundamentally disagree with virtually everything they say - but I think any reasonable Scot should not only dislike the way that racist, nationalist mob treated Nigel Farage, but should be actively disgusted by it.
I have a feeling they were a bunch of SNPers who didn't want another 'alternative' party, i.e. not Labour, Lib Dem or Tory, gaining ground. The SNP support pretty much exists on the back of Lib/Lab/Con failures and mistakes. So does UKIP. That shock and awe tactic was practically laughable and in particular Salmond's response to it.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Save yourself the hassle and put RUK.
Save even more hassle and write "UK", which is both correct and shorter. In the context of this debate it is obvious whether you are talking about the UK prior to or after Scottish independence. It also emphasises that the UK will continue, with or without Scotland.
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yup, but if you're spending most of your time in England, you're hardly going to know or see what's going on in Scotland.

I'm just wondering if he's a disgruntled Ukip supporter (mentioned in other thread), who didn't like the way his leader was treated.
What utter rubbish. We're talking about a part of the UK, not some place in the Philippines. I've visited and stayed there numerous of times and keep up to date with issues via the press, social media, friends and family. Glasgow and London have a lot in common and people like yourself ridiculously inflate the differences. For example I often watch BBC Scotland. While of course it doesn't mean I know everything and anything, but following such programmes served me well when I was in Glasgow last christmas. There are people in London who aren't clued up with London-centric issues. But that's because they don't consume current affairs, but watch reality TV shows every weekend. :rolleyes:
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Reformed2010)
For example I often watch BBC Scotland. While of course it doesn't mean I know everything and anything, but following such programmes served me well when I was in Glasgow last christmas. There are people in London who aren't clued up with London-centric issues. But that's because they don't consume current affairs, but watch reality TV shows every weekend. :rolleyes:
You might, but not everyone will.

- Does everyone watch Newsnight Scotland and the like?
- When the BBC anchor mentions "And now, time for news from your area", don't you think smaller, regional issues might be covered, that weren't deemed important enough to show on a UK-wide scale?
- As far as I know, it was STV (and BBC Scotland) that has been showing all of these referendum debates (and not ITV and BBC (UK)).
- Plus Scotland has its own papers...The Herald, Daily Record, Scottish Sun etc..

Utter rubbish indeed :rolleyes:
Reformed2010
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You might, but not everyone will.

- Does everyone watch Newsnight Scotland and the like?
- When the BBC anchor mentions "And now, time for news from your area", don't you think smaller, regional issues might be covered, that weren't deemed important enough to show on a UK-wide scale?
- As far as I know, it was STV (and BBC Scotland) that has been showing all of these referendum debates (and not ITV and BBC (UK)).
- Plus Scotland has its own papers...The Herald, Daily Record, Scottish Sun etc..

Utter rubbish indeed :rolleyes:
You didn't even read my entire post, just responded without reference to it. I'll say it again. I doubt people even know what is happening in their own local area. Yes a Londoner may know the odd current affair issue here or there that someone from North West of England may not know. But not enough to prevent one another from commenting on major issues like devolution or independence. Scotland isn't some remote place on the other side of the world. You (I presume you live in Scotland?) are not in China. :rolleyes:

The fact that you believe it's just STV and BBC Scotland has been covering the referendum is hilarious. I watch BBC, Channel 4 and sometimes ITV. It's been on all the channels and debated a lot. BBC UK Daily Politics and Newsnight for example have constantly mentioned it and never shy away from having pro and anti independence guests on discussing the issue. I consume current affairs and British politics like a geek. Yet I know more about SNP issues surrounding independence than London-centric issues like Crossrail, high speed rail or the extent of the housing crisis. I've seen smug-face Alex Salmond on UK programmes more times than my local MP's combined.

The UK is not the USA or India . We're a tiny island country and the mid to big issues that are impacting us are easily consumed by your average person.
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-services.html

So, Salmond wants the rUK to pay scotland for the Scottish portion of public owned services south of the border. He's apparently not considered the fact that by his own logic, the rUK could demand cash for all of the public owned services in Scotland. (or sell off the scottish hospitals, police stations, fire engines etc. to pay the Scottish demand)
Cannotbelieveit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"Studying in Kent".

Can't have witnessed much .
I've been in Kent for just over 6 months, whereas before I have lived and been schooled in Edinburgh for 18 years. And I'm registered on the electoral role in Edinburgh as well.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chrisawhitmore)

So, Salmond wants the rUK to pay scotland for the Scottish portion of public owned services south of the border. He's apparently not considered the fact that by his own logic, the rUK could demand cash for all of the public owned services in Scotland. (or sell off the scottish hospitals, police stations, fire engines etc. to pay the Scottish demand)
I shouldn't worry about it. Salmonds loosing the plot a little bit now.
Mockery
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He's getting very desperate indeed.

I won't be paying Scotland ****, and I think that it is scandalous that he can make 'demands' like this and still claim the English and the Welsh don't deserve a vote on Scottish independence.
TheBugle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Complete non story apparently (it's not reported in the BBC or HeraldScotland is it?), read these comments.

Surprised Alex Salmond gets people so riled up.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Gotta source for that?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mockery)
He's getting very desperate indeed.

I won't be paying Scotland ****, and I think that it is scandalous that he can make 'demands' like this and still claim the English and the Welsh don't deserve a vote on Scottish independence.
You won't not be either. Unless you happen to be the Cabinet Secretary or something in disguise...
chrisawhitmore
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
Gotta source for that?
No, that's just a logical continuation of his argument. If Scotland owns a small share of rUKs public services because Scottish taxes have contributed to paying for them, then logically rUK would own a much larger share of Scottish public services, as Scottish services came out of the same pot of mixed tax money, of which the majority is from rUK.

His proposal would only make sense if Scotland had been funding all its own public services and then paying for part of rUKs as well, which it hasn't.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, that's just a logical continuation of his argument. If Scotland owns a small share of rUKs public services because Scottish taxes have contributed to paying for them, then logically rUK would own a much larger share of Scottish public services, as Scottish services came out of the same pot of mixed tax money, of which the majority is from rUK.

His proposal would only make sense if Scotland had been funding all its own public services and then paying for part of rUKs as well, which it hasn't.
Yes of course. I personally don't think he'd say otherwise though.

Why would that need to be the argument? The argument is for a tax share cut, Assumption being a disproportionate cut of UK public sector assets are south of the boarder/overseas. Mainly because land values are higher, and most shared assets (eg Buck House and Whitehall) are to the south.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed